Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I turn off my Ford Focus, there are varying intensities of shuddering - like the engine is struggling to turn off. You can feel the whole car shaking a bit. It normally lasts half a second to 2 seconds or so.

Does anyone have an idea of what this may be / caused by?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
How often does it do it? Can you describe the different intensities of shuddering? Does it happen after long drives, short drives? I highly doubt it is something major to be honest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How often does it do it? Can you describe the different intensities of shuddering? Does it happen after long drives, short drives? I highly doubt it is something major to be honest.
Pretty regularly, especially after my drive home (~15 miles). I'd say 90% of the time. The only variance is really the intensity / length of the shuddering. Sometimes it is only for a split second, other times it lasts up to two seconds or so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you getting your gas from a cheap 2nd tier place? It could be "dieseling" a little.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Whenever I turn off my Ford Focus, there are varying intensities of shuddering - like the engine is struggling to turn off. You can feel the whole car shaking a bit. It normally lasts half a second to 2 seconds or so.

Does anyone have an idea of what this may be / caused by?
I want to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
That's not possible.

The Focus (like virtually all modern cars) has fuel injection that is electronically controlled.
I grant you dieseling is mostly gone now that carburetors are extinct but sputtering on shutdown can still happen. Did you consider that he may have a faulty injector that is allowing a small amount of fuel to enter the combustion chamber after the engine is switched off? The OP did not mention his mileage but what about a carbon deposit causing a hot spot? Direct injected engines are no stranger to carbon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So they can't recreate the problem, but it only happens after driving it several miles... They want me to drive out here, pick up a tech, take him for a long drive, and hope it happens so he can see it... Instead of just taking my word that it happens. It's a big waste of time for me for something that might not even get resolved...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Figures that it does the shudder after I drive home and am turning it off. I need to setup a camera and record it I suppose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts