Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought a 2014 Ford Focus SE earlier this year. My first car I ever purchased. I love the car, but I have started having the issues with the transmission that others have mentioned. My brought my car in today and have not heard back, but I am thinking I do not want to have to deal with this again in the future, based on what other people is saying, it could be a constant problem

I am wondering if I should get rid of this car while I still can, I know everyone here is all about Ford, but I have been looking at 2014 Mazda 3 S. What do you guys think of them?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hello, I bought a 2014 Ford Focus SE earlier this year. My first car I ever purchased. I love the car, but I have started having the issues with the transmission that others have mentioned. My brought my car in today and have not heard back, but I am thinking I do not want to have to deal with this again in the future, based on what other people is saying, it could be a constant problem

I am wondering if I should get rid of this car while I still can, I know everyone here is all about Ford, but I have been looking at 2014 Mazda 3 S. What do you guys think of them?
I'm surprised Mr. Cassandra hasn't yet replied telling you to trade the Focus in on a Mazda 3.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I'm surprised Mr. Cassandra hasn't yet replied telling you to trade the Focus in on a Mazda 3.
It's the holidays ... give it time... he will be there to comment [grinking]

·
Registered
58 Posts
It would be rare for a 2014 to have DCT issues. What exactly are you experiencing?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It would be rare for a 2014 to have DCT issues. What exactly are you experiencing?
I'd think that Ford would have the problem squared away by now...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

What trans is in the Mazda?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 2014 with the auto trans. Just turned over 20000 miles. No problems with mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it back today, they said they needed to do an update and do some reprogramming. The car seemed to drive better on the way home. They gave me a piece of paper explaining the characteristics of the Powershift. The mechanic did say that Ford has been having issues with the transmission.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I got it back today, they said they needed to do an update and do some reprogramming. The car seemed to drive better on the way home. They gave me a piece of paper explaining the characteristics of the Powershift. The mechanic did say that Ford has been having issues with the transmission.
Yea I heard about the earlier ones, Is he also talking about the newer '14's also?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I assume so. Maybe they are still trying to get the kinks out. I dunno. The car seems extremely confident and aggressive since I got it back.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I assume so. Maybe they are still trying to get the kinks out. I dunno. The car seems extremely confident and aggressive since I got it back.
It's likely to be fine after the re-programming.

One piece of advice: Accelerate aggressively on a regular basis.

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Because it's an automated manual dual clutch transmission. No torque converter. It is a dry system. You need to drive it like a manual transmission. You don't have to mash the accelerator from a dead stop, but be firm. Don't "grandma" your starts.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

You should contact Meagan the ford rep here if you do not get a satisfactory resolution from your ford dealer. The ford reps here and at the ford Facebook page are genuine, concerned advocates for Ford owners.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I saw 3 posts about 2014 dot issues today alone.
Where? I've been on here more than usual over the last few days and I havn't seen anything in the MK3 or sub forums.

As you might have guessed from my username, I work in the sales department of a Ford dealer. At my dealership, all the salespeople personally follow up every customer that goes through service, so they have a pretty good pulse on how problems are being resolved. While there were a significant amount of customers having issues with 2012s, there was less with 2013s, and few to none with 2014s. I just bought a new 2014 for my wife in October, which I certainly wouldn't have done if there were ongoing issues.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Where? I've been on here more than usual over the last few days and I havn't seen anything in the MK3 or sub forums.

As you might have guessed from my username, I work in the sales department of a Ford dealer. At my dealership, all the salespeople personally follow up every customer that goes through service, so they have a pretty good pulse on how problems are being resolved. While there were a significant amount of customers having issues with 2012s, there was less with 2013s, and few to none with 2014s. I just bought a new 2014 for my wife in October, which I certainly wouldn't have done if there were ongoing issues.
Hi Matt, I just ran thru just this one thread looking for members who show they own 2014 and found the following. post 92, 142, 143, 166, 254, 321, 332, 333, 423, 426, 469-fiesta, 472, 488-on the Ford Dual Clutch Warranty Extension Details and New TSB Clutch Parts! thread

also applies to "some" 2014: "14M01 - TRANSMISSION CLUTCH SHUDDER / TRANSMISSION INPUT SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY EXTENSION" - This applies to 2012-2014 Ford Focus equipped with the DPS6 transmission built at the Michigan plant between August 1, 2010 and June 15, 2013

·
Registered
822 Posts
2012 Focus DCT. Just turned over 50k miles, no problems with transmission yet. Shits goofy sometimes. Like sometimes it will hold revs longer (when cold), or shifts bad like someone that don't know how to shift a manual too good. But this is at low speeds (below 50 mph) and just one of the quirks of the DCT. But I still have no noise or shudder, etc.

The DCT takes up to 1000 miles to learn your driving habits. It usually shifts better after that time period. (I had an update to my transmission software once. Not because my transmission was acting up at the time, but because there just happened to be an update) When you get a re-program/update/flash, the transmission has to re-learn again.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

I think some people are of the perception that Ford can't fix the DCT; it's too complicated, or Ford gets only one swing and they're out and hence all DCT equipped vehicles will suffer at the same failure percentage rate regardless of the model year.

I remember hearing people say "You don't want to purchase a Ford Taurus -- they suffer from head gasket failure" long after the Taurus nameplate quit using the 3.8 prone to head gasket failure.

Unfortunately, the Focus will suffer the same statements from some -- probably long into the Mk4 Focus which probably won't be using the DCT.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts