Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a new hatchback, white, 5 spd. manual. I love this thing. My question. Looking for locking lugs. Dealer has them for about $55. Too much, plus they are too long and will stick out. Who makes shorter ones like the stock lug nuts. I like the shorter spline looking ones.
Just an observation here. All the locks I see are cone shape with no flange, the stock nuts are cone shaped with a flange to seat flat against the rim. To me just seems like the cone shaped ones with no flange,when torqueing them down, will just act like a wedge and just crack the aluminum rim, with no flange on the nut to stop this. Any thoughts, Thanks. [headbang]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have used the spline type, Gorilla locks for many years on two different Fords. Never any issue with the interfacing surface area of the nut being narrower than the stock wheel nuts.

In my experience, typical wheel nuts have always been narrower then the Ford current type which have that very wide mating face..

The Gorilla ones I use do stick out a little but are a smooth rounded tip. they do not 'catch' on anything.

I do not like the flat ones with a 'key' in the top surface. They are way too easy to ruin and then they a PITA to remove.
The side spine ones are very tough, and never 'wear out'.

So after 15 plus yers of using the spline types on my Fords.. Never a single problem.

The only thing is DON'T LOSE THE KEY!! [hihi]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have used the spline type, Gorilla locks for many years on two different Fords. Never any issue with the interfacing surface area of the nut being narrower than the stock wheel nuts.

In my experience, typical wheel nuts have always been narrower then the Ford current type which have that very wide mating face..

The Gorilla ones I use do stick out a little but are a smooth rounded tip. they do not 'catch' on anything.

I do not like the flat ones with a 'key' in the top surface. They are way too easy to ruin and then they a PITA to remove.
The side spine ones are very tough, and never 'wear out'.

So after 15 plus yers of using the spline types on my Fords.. Never a single problem.

The only thing is DON'T LOSE THE KEY!! [hihi]

I like the spline type. Needing the cone shape seat, It looks a little different when compareed to the stock lug nut. Wondering if it will seat right. On their website, it gives my size and thread type, but doesnt distinguish weather its for steel or aluminum rims.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I like the spline type. Needing the cone shape seat, It looks a little different when compareed to the stock lug nut. Wondering if it will seat right. On their website, it gives my size and thread type, but doesnt distinguish weather its for steel or aluminum rims.

xxxx

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The cone shaped lug nuts fit the Focus. (and almost all other modern cars.. all the cone ones are the same angle)
The round/ball like inner ones are for Honda only (If I remember right)
And some rare or vintage cars might use flat ones..

The only caveat i can see with the Gorilla locks I had on my SE is my new ST has 100ft/lb of torque for each lug nut. And IMO the narrower width of the Gorilla compared to the stock nuts? I just am (now) somewhat hesitant to install my Gorilla locks on my ST wheels using 100Ft/lbs of torque.

I think my SE wheel nuts only needed like 70ft/lb of torque

(Glad I still own a decent torque wrench just in case I need it, last car i used it on was my old Contour SVT wheels)

I bought the Gorilla locking so i would have no theft while my car was on the street all day when I was at work.
Now I am retired, and car sits in a pretty safe garage... I do not need the locks as much.

But. Back several years ago, now, one of my coworkers had her wheels 'swapped'.
She bought a great set of tires from Tire Rack (which I had suggested to her)
Well six months later she tells me the place where she gets oil changes told her the tires are worn out with bald spots down to the cords showing.. and two rims are bent. She seemed to accept this as OK no problem..As if it was the normal thing to happen after 2,000 miles.
I was trying to tell her what happened had to be theft, one way or another.
So either THEY were stealing her wheels and lying, or someone had quietly swapped her new tires and good wheels with the same sort off another car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts