Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Ford Focus SE with 34K miles and change.

I had noticed a lack of heat from the heater while at stop lights and took this in to my dealer about 3 weeks ago when it was manifesting the problem (heat seemed to work fine at speed).

Service writer noticed the overflow reservoir was low and put what amounted to about 1/2 gallon in it. I asked, "where did it go?". He said, "it probably evaporated".

Intuition told me that probably evaporation wasn't the issue. Monday I took it to another dealer (upon recommendation from a friend who worked as a service writer for Ford), and was told the water pump was bad and would need to be replaced.

It's under warranty so aside from down time, no problem. But I wanted to share that having the WP fail at 34K seems absurdly unusual to me. I mean that didn't happen in the 1970's until at least 40,000 miles :). Anyway, a heads up to all.

·
Registered
466 Posts
are you sure the seal wasnt just bad? because the water pump being shot at that few miles is a joke, but my seal went on my WP at around 32k. this is a common issue among mk3 it seems though

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a water pump replacement at 21,000 miles on a 2014 Focus due to coolant "evaporating." I've read a few posts about similar issues here.

Lots of issues on the Focus are absurdly unusual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made it 68,000 Miles just out of warranty but from what I read it appears I'm lucky to have made it that far. I'm so done with my Focus. 2013 was a bad year for ford. I've had 5 recalls, and this was just the straw. Ford and I are getting a divorce. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone with this issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was smelling coolant but saw no leaks. I noticed the reservoir was low. Refilled it. Just turned 60k so plugs and trans fluid are due.( 5 spd) The coolant might be coming out the pump weep hole , if there is one. But like I said no signs of leaks.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
You need to watch the coolant levels, so many don't do that now. If you find the coolant super low the recheck again a second and even third time over a couple days, commonly you need to add more until the level settles back down.

Fords use whopping numbers of cooling hoses to do the job and many will ooze leak to empty the reservoir and the water pump goes bad due to running in partial coolant instead of the full amount. That likely could have been caught.

Pursue the ooze leaks to be sure all are gone and then the systems will hold coolant for a long time but you absolutely cannot stop looking at the level at least once a month.

If you smell coolant at a shutoff you DO have at least a fine leak, you gotta find it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Absolutely agreed. A lot of lifetime fluid transmissions fail before they even reach that mileage.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I actually just changed mine on the DCT at 81k. I was completely under the impression that it was 100% sealed unless it was taken apart, until I saw Makuloco's video on YouTube. I promptly ordered 2 quarts of fluid from RockAuto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts