Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had similar problems with my 2012, bought one of the early ones and the dealer had no experience with the tranny. But they worked with me well to resolve it. First time they found a leaking gasket on one half of the tranny and repaired that. Never had it go out of gear again after that. But later it would get rough again and they replaced the clutches eventually. Also several reprogrammings along the way. Working fine now, but sorry to hear they still have this problem 2 model years later.

·
Registered
243 Posts
oh ok! What year is she? Mine's a MKII 2014 Titanium.
2014 Ambiente here. Ford thought that the Powershift would be good, and indeed it was... On paper. The concept is great, no fuel consumption penalty compared with a manual and a direct feel coupled the ease of an automatic. The face lifted Focus with the 1.5 Ecoboost no longer has the DCT, instead has a conventional torque converter auto that works much better. Ford have never been able to get the Powershift to work properly, from the early 2011 builds all the way through the last 2015 ones. DCTs are inherently very complex and have very low tolerances to anything being out of spec. And when they come mass produced in cars where cost is a major factor, you get tons of issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its going to get worse my car does the same thing seven time I took it in for repair n no luck had to hire lemon lawyer. About a year later ford is buying my car back no offence but I will never buy ford again

·
Registered
183 Posts
Its going to get worse my car does the same thing seven time I took it in for repair n no luck had to hire lemon lawyer. About a year later ford is buying my car back no offence but I will never buy ford again
Same boat here. We just finalized our buy back two weeks ago. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2014 Hatch has been having the shudder since around 22k. I have now 31k and have had the tcm reprogrammed and it helped some but it still does it. Took it back yesterday because it felt as if I dumped the clutch on it, but they said their computers could not sense any problems with it shifting. It doesn't really get to me so I'm going to just drive it till either the tranny eats itself or I trade it in. Still love it though. Though I do hate the squeaks and rattles inside the cabin..... some I have fixed but others I can't...

On a side note, I was told that the tranny in the mk3 foci (some of yall may be different being from others parts of the world) does this to all the customers and that it's normal. They said it doesn't harm the tranny either with this but I'm just not too sure about that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 2014 Hatch has been having the shudder since around 22k. I have now 31k and have had the tcm reprogrammed and it helped some but it still does it. Took it back yesterday because it felt as if I dumped the clutch on it, but they said their computers could not sense any problems with it shifting. It doesn't really get to me so I'm going to just drive it till either the tranny eats itself or I trade it in. Still love it though. Though I do hate the squeaks and rattles inside the cabin..... some I have fixed but others I can't...

On a side note, I was told that the tranny in the mk3 foci (some of yall may be different being from others parts of the world) does this to all the customers and that it's normal. They said it doesn't harm the tranny either with this but I'm just not too sure about that.
The problem is common, not normal.

In the long run it can potentially harm your transmission.

·
Registered
976 Posts
So I bought this car new. It's a 6speed auto se model. Over a couple thousand miles notice the car jerking harder and harder over time from a dead stop. Today while going down the highway it went out of gear. Lift off the gas and went into gear. Seems like the longer I drive the car though out the day the rougher the transmission gets. Anyone else having these problems? I told the dealership about the issue but there is a 5 day waiting list to even look at the car. Any help would be appropriate. BTW also a new member here.
Check with another dealership, I've had good luck with the Sam Pack group.
They have a lot of dealerships in the DFW area. You can try scrubbing your clutch, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msA0p87O2y4. It made wonders for mine. It shifts much better now. I'm in the Carrollton/Arlington area. Oh and welcome to the community.[:)]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

I'm happy to hear the reprogram helped some, _huro_. I can check out some options on my end. Just PM me your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Having the same issues here with our 2013 Fucus.
Hi Joker29,

Have you been to your dealer for a diagnosis? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
94 Posts
@kickstand
Yeah figured it was a way to get me out of there but I figured it was a lie. Though I'm not worried about it cause it'll probably be traded in next year for a new Wrangler anyways. This is exactly why I bought the extended warranty haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, same here. I had a 2012 Titanium. Dealer was actually quite good and eventually replaced the clutch pack but within 6 weeks the judder started to return. I just had to get rid and lost a lot of money. Only had the car 9 months. Will not consider Ford again for a long time and absolutely wont touch a dct of any make

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife's 2012 Focus Titanium developed the dead stop clutch shudder after a year or so. It got worse and worse. I was able to improve it by running up the rpms in manual mode, but driving it around in auto it went back to horrible. Ford would not warranty and the dealers acted like I was nuts when I took it in under the drivetrain warranty. I almost paid $1600 out of pocket to change the clutch, but luckily I put it off and ford sent out a letter extending my the warranty specifically for the clutch shudder. I never got it fixed and just traded it on a car with a true manual transmission.

After owning the manumatic in the focus and crappy failing PTO transfer case in the 3.5L V6 ford cars/SUVs (my wife had one fail on her 2013 explorer), I will never own another FWD ford. Mustangs and F-series trucks are all they have left.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to clear something up. The jerking from a stop on the transmission is common.....but not acceptable or normal. Every time i have had my clutch pack replaced ( 3 times). The car accelerates from a stop with almost next to no shudder or jerk.
Youve had the clutch pack replaced 3 times? Mate, I would trade that car so fast you wouldnt see its wheels for dust!! I had mine done once and once was enough. I couldnt get rid of it quick enough. Cost me £3000 in depreciation but the relief to see that thing drive away out of my life was sweet

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your pain. My 2012 Titanium with 2011 build date used to shudder at take off. Now after 111K miles and several trips to the dealership having the TCM replaced after it shifted to neutral at a stop light, it is shifting great. After I picked the car up the Service Technician told me to drive the car like I stole it for a few days to "train" the computer. Yes, these DCT's are performance oriented and will develop "bad habits" if they are not exercised regularly. Even though mine is shifting much better I agree with everyone and have complained to Ford about the issue. I like my little Focus and will likely replace it with another one - just not with one that has a DCT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel your pain. My 2012 Titanium with 2011 build date used to shudder at take off. Now after 111K miles and several trips to the dealership having the TCM replaced after it shifted to neutral at a stop light, it is shifting great. After I picked the car up the Service Technician told me to drive the car like I stole it for a few days to "train" the computer. Yes, these DCT's are performance oriented and will develop "bad habits" if they are not exercised regularly. Even though mine is shifting much better I agree with everyone and have complained to Ford about the issue. I like my little Focus and will likely replace it with another one - just not with one that has a DCT.
Its a shame because otherwise its a good car, well put together and comfortable. I just cant believe that Ford made such a mistake going dct - I mean to issue bulletins stating all the juddering and whatnot is normal. Seriously? They must have known or at least had some idea before the launch that things werent right. Especially so since there is a post on here saying dct has been dropped for the the ecoboost engines.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Tiny engine for the weight of the car like the 1.0 Ecoboost requires too much clutch slip to start off for the DCT250 dry clutch to handle regularly.

Getrag info. linked on the Site has shown a narrow range of power/weight where it's intended to work. Higher torque like the diesel in a Focus a different wet clutch version was used.

Either way, too much heat from more clutch slip than it likes makes it perform poorly. The initial design commentary mentioned using "shudder" intentionally to try & train drivers to avoid situations that caused it, like creeping in traffic.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... The initial design commentary mentioned using "shudder" intentionally to try & train drivers to avoid situations that caused it, like creeping in traffic.
Back when I also read that I thought it was strange for them not to communicate that clearly to everyone who bought a DCT. If that was part of what the "normal DCT charactaristics" memo was supposed to accomplish after the sale, they failed. In every comment I've read here about shuddering, the drivers interpreted it as the car malfunctioning, rather than telling them they're doing something wrong. Why didn't they just put up a text message on the dash display instead, I wonder? [scratch]

Another alternative would have been to let the car stand still until the driver pushes on the gas. It should have been easier to teach new owners that difference in how the car behaves compared to a car with a torque converter than it has been to teach them "don't creep", when that is the car's default behavior. Kinda' dumb if you ask me.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
That idea got thrown out before production, I'm sure for the reason you suggest.

Trying to make it feel like a torque converter style was probably the biggest issue in the whole thing, part of NOT promoting it as something new & different. Sales/advertising decisions won out over engineering, and engineering really wasn't able to deliver exactly what the Sales folks wanted. Came close, but it seems at least some of the issues were a result.

Look at how CVT's have been re-engineered to "feel" like they're shifting between gears. Large advantage in theory to unlimited gear ratios thrown away to make them feel "normal".

I don't remember anything really new & different left alone & promoted as what it was since VW did the automated stick shift back in the late 60's early 70's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2014 se, looked great, drove great, at first untill the 3 day,,,then it was like I was on wet roads,,it would slip as I took off,,,,,I went back to dealer , the service writer said , yea we have known about these transmission for a while,,,SO WHY DIDNT THE SALESMAN TELL ME ABOUT IT?? they immediately wanted me to pick another one on the lot, I didnt want another one from the dealership, the deceived me, lied, I wanted out, but after u sign not ur stuck,,so I got a 2015, with 19,000 seems ok for know,,the dealership has been kissing a lot,,going up there today for a tint, and other free stuff,,I just hope it stays together for 2 years, for a trade in,,I want a horse

21 - 40 of 46 Posts