Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question for the focus nation. I can't find anything yet for the 2014 model in the way of lowering springs, or anything of that nature. Even the ford racing kit only says 2012-2013 but does not indicate that it will or will not fit the 2014 model.

My question is: What is out there for the 2014 in the way of handling/lowering. I'm more of a function>form kind of guy so I don't want anything ridiculous.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just a question for the focus nation. I can't find anything yet for the 2014 model in the way of lowering springs, or anything of that nature. Even the ford racing kit only says 2012-2013 but does not indicate that it will or will not fit the 2014 model.

My question is: What is out there for the 2014 in the way of handling/lowering. I'm more of a function>form kind of guy so I don't want anything ridiculous.
This is quite a silly question, a quick search should have allowed you to realize that the 2012-2014 models are identical.

Any kit that says it fits the 2012-2013 vehicles will fit a 2014 model.

Keep in mind that S, SE, SEL / Titanium and also SE models /w Sport Package and Titanium Handling Package have different factory-tuned suspension and possibly varying stock ride heights.

Ford Racing, Eibach, Steeda, and H&R offer different lowering spring kits.

Ford Racing: approx. 0.3-0.6 (non-specified front / rear) inches lowering.
Eibach Pro-Kit: approx. 0.8F / 0.8R inches lowering.
Eibach Sportline: approx. 1.5F / 1.5R inches lowering.
Steeda: approx. 1F / 0.8R inches lowering.
H&R: approx. 1.4F / 1.3R inches lowering.

Each kit will have different spring rates and tuning, the Sportline and H&R kits will most likely be the stiffest of the bunch with the Ford Racing kit being closest to OEM height and feel. Also, anything more than 1 inch will probably gravitate towards feeling "ridiculous". The Eibach Pro-Kit and Steeda kits are probably what you're looking for.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is quite a silly question, a quick search should have allowed you to realize that the 2012-2014 models are identical.

Any kit that says it fits the 2012-2013 vehicles will fit a 2014 model.

Keep in mind that S, SE, SEL / Titanium and also SE models /w Sport Package and Titanium Handling Package have different factory-tuned suspension and possibly varying stock right heights.

Ford Racing, Eibach, Steeda, and H&R offer different lowering spring kits.

Ford Racing: approx. 0.3-0.6 (non-specified front / rear) inches lowering.
Eibach Pro-Kit: approx. 0.8F / 0.8R inches lowering.
Eibach Sportline: approx. 1.5F / 1.5R inches lowering.
Steeda: approx. 1F / 0.8R inches lowering.
H&R: approx. 1.4F / 1.3R inches lowering.

Each kit will have different spring rates and tuning, the Sportline and H&R kits will most likely be the stiffest of the bunch with the Ford Racing kit being closest to OEM height and feel. Also, anything more than 1 inch will probably gravitate towards feeling "ridiculous". The Eibach Pro-Kit and Steeda kits are probably what you're looking for.
Actually, from what I've read, that's completely false… In fact, there are a number of threads discussing this… This is apparently due to a change in the design of the front struts sometime in 2013… I've been looking for a Sportline kit for my yet-to-be-delivered 2014, and I can't find anything...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Good job of filling that guy in BeepBeep2.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Actually, from what I've read, that's completely false… In fact, there are a number of threads discussing this… This is apparently due to a change in the design of the front struts sometime in 2013… I've been looking for a Sportline kit for my yet-to-be-delivered 2014, and I can't find anything...
You mean to say that the whole of my post is completely false? Seriously?

For 2012-2014 models, it is well documented that different trim levels received different suspension packages. Type your VIN# into FordParts.com or FordEtis to see what Ford thinks came on your car of their 9001 revisions, or for more accurate information, climb under your car and take a peek at the stickers. All of the parts are technically interchangeable, though revisions are listed so that replacement parts installed can be exactly what came with the car. There are five different available suspension packages, (Standard, Touring, Handling, Performance, Heavy Duty) with different revisions of each individual package based on build date.

The main differences in these packages, like I stated before, are the tuning - different stock damping and spring rate.

All of these parts share the same part number, but have different ending suffix to designate which suspension package and build date they belong with. There may have also been revisions in strut mounts or bumpstops and etc. to deal with the reported "front end clunking" problem, but the same rule applies. All is interchangeable for 2012-2014 models sans lower control arms and the Titanium Handling Package which has different rear suspension knuckles / bushings.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You mean to say that the whole of my post is completely false? Seriously?

For 2012-2014 models, it is well documented that different trim levels received different suspension packages. Type your VIN# into FordParts.com or FordEtis to see what Ford thinks came on your car of their 9001 revisions, or for more accurate information, climb under your car and take a peek at the stickers. All of the parts are technically interchangeable, though revisions are listed so that replacement parts installed can be exactly what came with the car. There are five different available suspension packages, (Standard, Touring, Handling, Performance, Heavy Duty) with different revisions of each individual package based on build date.

The main differences in these packages, like I stated before, are the tuning - different stock damping and spring rate.

All of these parts share the same part number, but have different ending suffix to designate which suspension package and build date they belong with. There may have also been revisions in strut mounts or bumpstops and etc. to deal with the reported "front end clunking" problem, but the same rule applies. All is interchangeable for 2012-2014 models sans lower control arms and the Titanium Handling Package which has different rear suspension knuckles / bushings.
You made a blanket statement, saying all 2012-2013 aftermarket springs would fit a 2014… There is a know issue where the bottom spring perch is different on some later models. We're talking spring diameter and maybe even length differences… Not damping/rebound tuning differences… You didn't REALLY explain that in your post… I believe the OP was just asking if Eibach, for example, has a part number specifically for the 2014 models… So quit jumping on everyone and answer the question, instead of calling everyone out.

The short answer to the actual question is NO. Most aftermarket suppliers will tell you that they're all the same… But you may run into fitment issues depending on the build date/suspension package on your specific car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You made a blanket statement, saying all 2012-2013 aftermarket springs would fit a 2014… There is a know issue where the bottom spring perch is different on some later models. We're talking spring diameter and maybe even length differences… Not damping/rebound tuning differences… You didn't REALLY explain that in your post… I believe the OP was just asking if Eibach, for example, has a part number specifically for the 2014 models… So quit jumping on everyone and answer the question, instead of calling everyone out.

The short answer to the actual question is NO. Most aftermarket suppliers will tell you that they're all the same… But you may run into fitment issues depending on the build date/suspension package on your specific car.
As far as I knew, that was a change on 2014 Focus ST models and does not relate to non-ST vehicles. Maybe I'm extremely misinformed?
When I made my "blanket statement", it wasn't applying to ST models nor are we talking about the ST.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As far as I knew, that was a change on 2014 Focus ST models and does not relate to non-ST vehicles. Maybe I'm extremely misinformed?
When I made my "blanket statement", it wasn't applying to ST models nor are we talking about the ST.
I'm looking for the thread now, but at LEAST one member had this happen on a NON-ST.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm looking for the thread now, but at LEAST one member had this happen on a NON-ST.
Hmm. I just found a couple. Didn't see them before! I hadn't been on the site much since spring when the 2014's weren't as common and I missed these threads. I saw the spring kits were different for ST models.

Grabbing a couple '13 front struts is the solution to that problem without having to go with coilovers. They're about $70 each. [cool]

$350 or so is still a lot cheaper than going with coilovers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just trying to save the poor guy some grief if he decides to just order some springs, only to find out they don't fit. The worst thing in the world is getting a bunch of new parts, pulling everything apart, and realizing you need more shit, and that you can't get it for a week or something..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Glad you got that straightened out, '14's were a REAL problem to figure out what would work for a while due to some conflicting info from the first people to try springs on them.

Not their fault at the time, the first one to try & report was told the TOP mount was the problem by the shop he took his to for installation.

'13 struts are the answer, and there are pictures in at least one thread to confirm.

Moved to the suspension section for reference, from here & the MkIII section for at least some of them.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
bump

I know that using '13 front struts will allow you to use the '12-'13 lowering springs but has anyone seen or heard if they are making springs for just the '14 so that new struts arent required? i only have 12,000 miles on my struts so if i dont have to replace them yet then all the better.

Also, does any one know if you can buy the ford racing handling package with out the sway bars, so just springs and struts. i was kind of leaning that route since i would prefer to stay closer to stock height but would like bette handling.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
bump

I know that using '13 front struts will allow you to use the '12-'13 lowering springs but has anyone seen or heard if they are making springs for just the '14 so that new struts arent required? i only have 12,000 miles on my struts so if i dont have to replace them yet then all the better.

Also, does any one know if you can buy the ford racing handling package with out the sway bars, so just springs and struts. i was kind of leaning that route since i would prefer to stay closer to stock height but would like bette handling.
H&R, eibach, Cobb all make springs got the 14ST... but springs are same. .. at least with our testing it's shown that..

14 ST with NA springs and 13 struts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
H&R, eibach, Cobb all make springs got the 14ST... but springs are same. .. at least with our testing it's shown that..

14 ST with NA springs and 13 struts
Sorry i was a little confused by this. I dont have a ST i just have the standard MK3. So are you saying the '14 ST springs will fit the '14 standard mk3? or do you have to swap in some '13 model year struts? also will the ST struts fit a standard MK3? and then if i put the ST struts on, would i have to use ST springs too?

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Sorry i was a little confused by this. I dont have a ST i just have the standard MK3. So are you saying the '14 ST springs will fit the '14 standard mk3? or do you have to swap in some '13 model year struts? also will the ST struts fit a standard MK3? and then if i put the ST struts on, would i have to use ST springs too?
The springs will interchange from NA to ST and vice versa, the main difference in components is the rear shock. My 12 NA sedan is currently running oe 13 ST front struts. The 14 has different front struts and springs compared to the 12-13....

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
The springs will interchange from NA to ST and vice versa, the main difference in components is the rear shock. My 12 NA sedan is currently running oe 13 ST front struts. The 14 has different front struts and springs compared to the 12-13....
why do companies sell springs for the ST focus then that say they will fit only the ST focus if they are interchangeable? So if i wanted to lower my '14 then my only option is going to be to replace the struts with '12-'13 struts and then use '12-'13 springs correct? also, your saying i could use ST struts and shocks? that would be a nice upgrade then for the N/A mk3 correct?

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
why do companies sell springs for the ST focus then that say they will fit only the ST focus if they are interchangeable? So if i wanted to lower my '14 then my only option is going to be to replace the struts with '12-'13 struts and then use '12-'13 springs correct? also, your saying i could use ST struts and shocks? that would be a nice upgrade then for the N/A mk3 correct?
You can't use the ST rear shocks as they are different length. But since the suspensions differ slightly in rear design they have to sell a specific spring set for the model difference NA vs ST

And yes definitely a nice upgrade to the NA suspension.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
thank you! i think i have decided to do the handling package struts and shocks and then do the Ford racing springs.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
thank you! i think i have decided to do the handling package struts and shocks and then do the Ford racing springs.
I have a pair of HP struts in the shop ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts