Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 2014 focus titanium. When I turn the steering wheel back and fourth, it makes a grinding noise. It does it when the car is on and off. I hacked it up and it still does it. Any ideas? I'm new to the focus world and could use some help. It seems to work fine, just makes noise. The car had 18k miles. The rims have some curb rash but as far a I know it's never been hit in the wheels. Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did you check the fluid. Still under warranty???????
There is no fluid in MK3 Foci power steering systems. They are Epass systems, all electric

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey I have a 2014 focus titanium. When I turn the steering wheel back and fourth, it makes a grinding noise. It does it when the car is on and off. I hacked it up and it still does it. Any ideas? I'm new to the focus world and could use some help. It seems to work fine, just makes noise. The car had 18k miles. The rims have some curb rash but as far a I know it's never been hit in the wheels. Thanks
Do you have tears or cuts in your boots (bellows)?

Grinding sounds like rust or debris inside the gear. Are efforts higher?

Or is the sound coming from the column?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like a bad bearing in the rack that spins fairly fast when you turn the wheel. Is it possible to take the rack apart, or are there at least instructions on removing if from the car? I can probably figure it out but it's easier to have instructions.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It sounds like a bad bearing in the rack that spins fairly fast when you turn the wheel. Is it possible to take the rack apart, or are there at least instructions on removing if from the car? I can probably figure it out but it's easier to have instructions.
You cannot, I repeat CANNOT, take the rack apart.

If it sounds like a bad bearing you have a rusted or corroded ball nut (more likely than not due to a boot/bellow which has a hole in it and allowed water to get inside).

The steering rack has a belt on the motor side, that belt is attached to the rack by a ball nut, the ball nut basically is a device which turns rotational motion to lateral motion by using ball bearings (which move back and forth inside grooves in the rack). The ball bearings are very small and once you take apart a ball nut it's not going back together unless you have an industrial machine. The ball nut has a pully on it, that pull allows the belt to turn the outer nut (which in turn moves the ball bearings, which then moves the rack). The pully/ballnut assembly is held in place in the rack housing by one or two bearings (and sometimes a wave washer). The belt is tensioned to the motor as well, something you also can't do.

How a Ball Screw Works - Ball Screw & Nut Assembly | Barnes Industries, Inc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.... Is there anything I can do other than just replace the Rack? Like pull the boots off and grease anything? Just looking for anything to try. I plan on pulling it out of the car at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little other info for you.... The car is a salvage car I bought to fix up... I'm an auto body guy, not much into mechanics, but I know how to fix stuff. The car was hit in the doors. No suspension damage or steering damage, but it probably sat for 6 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts