Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Ford Focus se hatch, 4900 mi., purchased in May. Now that it's cooler, the heater is coming on, and with the windows rolled up in traffic, I'm getting a headache like there's a CO leak or something getting into the cabin. When I roll down the windows, the air outside seems fresher. I've just noticed it over the past few days as the temps were in the 50s-60s outside and the car set to 74 with the a/c off.

I am about to bring it in for it's first 5K checkup, but wanted to know if there's anything I can diagnose beforehand.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
You are so close to the 5k checkup just go ahead and take it in so that they can look at it. Give them the best detailed information you can about when and how it happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are so close to the 5k checkup just go ahead and take it in so that they can look at it. Give them the best detailed information you can about when and how it happens.
Thanks...was just curious if this was a known issue like "your xyz hose is disconnected...it happens with the 2014 Focus" or something like that.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
but wanted to know if there's anything I can diagnose beforehand.

Why would you?
You pay as much as you do because of the warranty. Use it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you've got a CO monitor in the house, throw it in the car for a check.

I've only experienced CO once, in a parked running vehicle. No headache for a warning (I hadn't heard of that for CO), instead it was more like an unsteady feeling - put your foot down from the bed as it's moving on you kinda thing. Too much to drink unsteadiness without drinking a drop.

Here's a link for possible symptoms, dull headache is included:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ysu3Haxu-Lz-QKQ&bvm=bv.77161500,d.cWc&cad=rja

Weakness/dizziness from the list were the most noticeable in my case, nausea/confusion was just starting to be apparent when I got out of the situation for some fresh air. (what's happening? This isn't right, I've gotta do something)

Got home & my Wife the Nurse was checking fingernails for normal even pink (they weren't) - took quite a while before a full return to normal.

Scary because it sneaks up on you, fresh air needed right away.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Salior,
Please don't take yourself out. We kinda like ya.
If things are that bad, we're always here to listen and try to help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Naw, this was a while ago when I was working. Hardly intentional.

Idling to keep warm while waiting to be loaded, laying down in back reading it really DID feel like time to put a foot down.

I found that someone had lost the cover for the cabin air filter (under the hood) and just duct taped the hole which naturally fell off eventually. Combine that with a small exh. leak & a parking position in a wind shadowed area as the cause I figured out. No problem earlier when parked where the wind blew...

Typical potential accident chain of events, 3 items in a row to cause the problem (leak, missing cover, no breeze).

Owner wasn't happy, but I didn't care that night. Told him what the problem was & that all I could do was drive it back to the lot & go home - someone else could drive that once fixed or another tractor to deliver the load.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
2014 Ford Focus se hatch, 4900 mi., purchased in May. Now that it's cooler, the heater is coming on, and with the windows rolled up in traffic, I'm getting a headache like there's a CO leak or something getting into the cabin. When I roll down the windows, the air outside seems fresher. I've just noticed it over the past few days as the temps were in the 50s-60s outside and the car set to 74 with the a/c off.

I am about to bring it in for it's first 5K checkup, but wanted to know if there's anything I can diagnose beforehand.
I highly recommend heading to your dealer to have this looked into. Once you have an appointment set up, please send me a private message with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally I found someone that has the same issue with my 2014 ST with ~3,000 miles. I didn't notice it first, because of warm weather, most of the time interior air was turned on. Now that I'm using exterior air, I can definitely smell exhaust, so much that I have to turn off the climate control. It's not noticeable with a cold engine, it takes a while. I don't smell it on highways either, only when idling at a light. I brought it to service, and of course they could not recreate the problem (did they even visually inspect the exhaust line, turbo...?) but they found a defective front airbag...
Anyway, I'm trying to find the best way to make it happen consistently so I have better luck with service.
Please keep me posted with what they find. I can then maybe lead service in the right direction.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Finally I found someone that has the same issue with my 2014 ST with ~3,000 miles. I didn't notice it first, because of warm weather, most of the time interior air was turned on. Now that I'm using exterior air, I can definitely smell exhaust, so much that I have to turn off the climate control. It's not noticeable with a cold engine, it takes a while. I don't smell it on highways either, only when idling at a light. I brought it to service, and of course they could not recreate the problem (did they even visually inspect the exhaust line, turbo...?) but they found a defective front airbag...
Anyway, I'm trying to find the best way to make it happen consistently so I have better luck with service.
Please keep me posted with what they find. I can then maybe lead service in the right direction.
Thanks!
I'll be happy to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII section for more visibility to current model owners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts