Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I was successful in upgrading the rear speakers!

So I took apart the front door and I found the cheap plastic liner. I was to put in 6.5 component speakers (infinity primus) but was curious where people are putting the crossover.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Personally i don't have a 2012 but if you can do it, put the crossover inside of the car not the door. The constant banging of the door opening and closing can do a lot of harm on a crossover. I had a crossover in my door and it constantly kept dismounting itself (my poor mounting but you get the point). so if you can hide them in the rear quarter panels somewhere and run wires into the door i would say that would be best. again i don't have a 2012, if there are separate tweeter and mid-bass wires running out of the door splice there so you don't have to run into the doors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...there is a foam insert that is on the door...I am thinking I could cut this down and mount to the foam...seems to be high density

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Mounting in the kick panels would certainly be beneficial, as was said, but a hell of a lot of work running wires through the door boot/molex. Just make sure the crossover is secured inside the door very well and not in an area it may get wet. Some people even stick them inside rubber gloves for added moisture protection (heat is never really an issue with crossovers). Should have years of service-free performance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Careful of those foam inserts my 2002 has the same thing and I cut them out to fit the crossover in it and I had attempted screws, double side tape, Velcro, and duct tape nothing really works haha make sure they are very stable before you finish

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Screw them directly on metal or zip tie them up well. Never had a problem.

If you already cut the foam up and are in the same boat as ZeeXfive, try hot glue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm gonna try to screw them in and hot glue them before I cut them. The issue is for 2014 they replaced the foam on the door with plastic sheeting there is literally nothing to mount to!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts