Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone just bought my focus brand new and was curious what oil do you guys prefer. I would like to go about 10,000 miles per change. Also do you guys change your oil early the first time it's ever changed to get break in metals out?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance, good for 15K, but I don't go that long in my Stang or CRV, change at 7500. Now, there is discussion on issues with Direct injection motors and needing to run a oil with a low NOACK rating, and looks like the Pennzoil Ultra has the lowest

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just to throw my $.02 in here, but I have always used Castrol Syntec/Edge with oil changes made at the 5-6k mile range. While people can make recommendations all they want, I can provide some proof ... I am now at 317,000 miles on my 04 SVT and running strong. Just had a compression check done and am at 120-130 across the board. Motor has never been opened up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why go that long? 7500 is my absolute max and I drive 95 percent highway.
Oil threads, got to love them, LOL

There are many factors, one, oils are much better today, especially full synth, and cars are fuel injected, so they get only the fuel needed

Direct injection is a little different, and I don't have experience with them, but would follow manufactures recommendations

Older cars with carbs, and running regular oils, I would change every 3K, or about 5K with full synth

·
Registered
920 Posts
I do not have an oil of choice but it has to be synthetic. I did my first change @ 1000 miles and then the next one was done @ 7000. I am planning on running 6000 between changes.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm sure wavsine will be around here sooner or later. He has a good thread about this:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324396

I tend to stick with Castrol Edge full synthetic, since I use it in other cars and usually there are some good 5qt+filter deals on it. Some have other opinions on specific brands but without forcing my opinion on it, generally you want to stick with a good quality full synthetic.

Personally, I change every 5-6k miles. I have no evidence that is better than letting the interval go longer. I don't send my oil out for analysis. I just figure 5k or 6k is a safe interval, not too short or not too long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am using Royal Purple synthetic oil manufacturer says if you use their extended range filter you can change oil at 12000 miles. So far at 4000 since my last change oil looks clean and car runs great I have 2014 SE with 13000 miles

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
If a high quality synthetic oil is used, why not?
I'll give you a couple of reasons. I grant you there are some pros on this board who can perhaps go 10,000 miles on an oil change but they are experts and have a very clear understanding of what that entails. They must do the groundwork in preparing for a long oil change interval by having at least one oil analysis performed and preferably two. They must also know that if their driving habits or environmental conditions change during the course of that long oil change interval, they must reevaluate whether they should change their oil earlier than 10k. (dusty conditions, etc.)

Most people don't do oil analysis and don't have a clue what their TBN or wear metals are. The 2.0 Duratec is an excellent engine but any direct injected engine could also be subject to fuel dilution of the oil. I would say that I have not seen a major problem with that but without an oil analysis, how do you know for sure? I still stand by my recommendation that the typical MK3 owner who does not perform a Blackstone UOA should follow Ford's recommended oil change interval for their vehicle even if they are running top shelf synthetic.

Then there is the matter of the filter. Even if the oil is able to hold up with minimal wear metals and a decent reserve alkalinity (TBN), the filter may plug up before 10,000 miles and open the bypass valve. Not good. I run a Motorcraft FL-400S. It is slightly longer than the OEM FL-910S and contains a little more filtration media. Oil filters have a finite capacity (the amount of contaminants an oil filter can hold before it becomes obstructed and causes the bypass valve to open) The longer the oil filter is in service, the more debris it is likely to collect in the filtration media. If the bypass valve opens, unfiltered oil is allowed to pass to the crankshaft and engine bearings as in the diagram below.

Ford recommended oil change schedule:

Typical driving habits: Every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first.

Less typical driving habits: Every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first if:
Towing or carrying heavy loads
Idling extensively or driving at low speeds for long distances
Driving in dusty conditions
Driving off-road frequently
Using E85 fuel more than 50% of the time

Diagram: Oil filter bypass valve closed/open

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts