Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first new car and my first Ford. I love the way my car looks, if only it would work properly....I have 5k miles on my Focus. Since I bought it there has been a rattling/vibration in the passenger door. Sometimes it even sounds like something is being shaken around inside. Every little bump in the road it makes a very loud noise. If I try to put music on to cover up the noise that doesn't help because any bass at all makes the noise even worse.

I'm bringing in my car for this issue for the 3rd time. They took apart the whole panel and used a squeak and rattle kit and this did nothing to help the noise.

The entire center console squeaks and creaks with every little bump in the road/any movement I make. Everytime I brake or accelerate or roll forward etc.

Before I bought this car I was driving a 12 year old Accord and never had any issues like this.

On top of all of this a new issue has developed the past few weeks. [rant]
Everytime I come to a full stop and take my foot off the brake and start rolling forward there is a sputtering noise and the whole car vibrates. You can also hear something kind of metallic sounding rattling underneath the car.

I am as frustrated as I can possibly be. I spoke to the service manager for my area and he said he would contact the dealership and they would call me to make an appointment. Well, I can tell my issue is being taken seriously because when the dealership called he said he was contacting me about my issues with the turn by turn system....

I know I made this post to complain. I read lots of threads about people with similar issues. If anyone knows anything about these problems your advice would be appreciated!

That's all I got. [facepalm]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII section for better replies, General Tech Chat is more for fix it yourself questions.

This area has the most threads on the rattles, the MkIII problems archive the most on the trans issues though there are plenty here as well.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Haha, this makes me feel good. I know these are budget cars and I would never expect it to be perfect but mine doesn't rattle. I am actually amazed at how well it is built. I do have the odd bucking and sputtering every now and then, but i guess that goes with the DCT transmission in the car.

Is the car new? Seems like a bad build.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
This is my first new car and my first Ford. I love the way my car looks, if only it would work properly....I have 5k miles on my Focus. Since I bought it there has been a rattling/vibration in the passenger door. Sometimes it even sounds like something is being shaken around inside. Every little bump in the road it makes a very loud noise. If I try to put music on to cover up the noise that doesn't help because any bass at all makes the noise even worse.

I'm bringing in my car for this issue for the 3rd time. They took apart the whole panel and used a squeak and rattle kit and this did nothing to help the noise.

The entire center console squeaks and creaks with every little bump in the road/any movement I make. Everytime I brake or accelerate or roll forward etc.

Before I bought this car I was driving a 12 year old Accord and never had any issues like this.

Everytime I come to a full stop and take my foot off the brake and start rolling forward there is a sputtering noise and the whole car vibrates. You can also hear something kind of metallic sounding rattling underneath the car.

I am as frustrated as I can possibly be. I spoke to the service manager for my area and he said he would contact the dealership and they would call me to make an appointment. Well, I can tell my issue is being taken seriously because when the dealership called he said he was contacting me about my issues with the turn by turn system....

I know I made this post to complain. I read lots of threads about people with similar issues. If anyone knows anything about these problems your advice would be appreciated!

This post from a new Honda Accord owner won't help your case, but just to show that [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] Happens

2014 Honda Accord - Extremely Dissapointed
Just bought a 2014 Accord Sedan EX. Literally on the way home from the dealership I noticed a pretty severe rattle from the steering wheel. The next day I noticed another rattle from the glove box, and yet another one above the drivers side door around the grab handle. In addition to that, I also noticed what looked like a fingerprint on the bezel underneath the glass on the information screen. So, day 2 I take the car to the service department with less than 125 miles on it.

The tech heard two out of the three rattles and fixed the one in the steering wheel (some kind of metal sticker misplaced). He heard the glovebox rattle with me in the car, but couldn't replicate it. Couldn't find the other one either. And the dealer wasn't willing to tear apart the dashboard to clean or replace the fingerprint or discoloration on the bezel.

A couple days later I start to notice a pretty serious wind noise when travelling at highway speeds (about 55 mph). This is audible on both the driver side and passenger side front door. Back to the shop it goes, and they adjust the doors. It didn't help at all. I sucked it up for another month or so, and decided I couldn't live with it sounding like the window wasn't fully rolled up, so i took it back to the dealer.

This time, they called the Honda Tech line who said the noise was normal and not to worry about it. They gave me the car back and said that was as good as it was going to get. I called the Tech line and opened a case with Honda. They did absolutely nothing other than "verify" everything I already was complaining about. Then they told me that they were "working on it" and would get back to me if they ever came up with a fix. The dealer told me that noise was terrible, and he would be upset if that were his car. Heck, he even told me he could hear that turbulent wind noise when the windows were rolled down!

I don't know what else to do. It's my wife's first brand new car, and it's been in the shop 3-4 times in the few months we've owned it. I'm extremely disappointing. I bought a Honda because i always thought they were the most reliable and best "reasonable priced" sedan. I've complained to everyone I know to complain and I can't seem to get any results. I just figured my last resort is to let everyone else know my experience. For what it's worth....

·
Registered
976 Posts
You have to be realistic and give the dealer a chance to fix the issues before a lemon law can be used. The noises/rattles in the door should be easier to fix if you take the service writer along with you on a test ride and make sure they hear the actual noise. The other bits sound like lots of issues folks have had with the DCT tranny...no help there as I have the manual but it sounds like there are plenty of service bulletins out so they should be able to fix it. Yep..sucks to buy a brand new car and have any issues but they do happen and no matter how well Ford does, there will always be some that piss people off.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Amp22 and GhiaFan, didn't thorough test drives disclose at least SOME of the complaints described above?

And if so, why weren't the issues dealt with BEFORE taking delivery ?

·
Registered
289 Posts

I would also urge you to take the tech along with you on a test drive and point out what you are hearing. If they cannot fix it using standard protocols, perhaps speak with them about using a sound deadening product (such as Dynamat) in the door. Any new car is prone to having squeaks and rattles. My '12 has a rattle in the passenger seat that will never go away. My wife's '14 Mazda CX-5 has a couple door rattles and my father in law just got a new Accord -- also has rattles.

Something like this is not likely to qualify for lemon laws either as it does not affect the driveability or safety of the car.

Additionally, be on the lookout for Meagan, our resident Ford US rep. If you have issues with the dealer, she can help you out.

Have you read the sticky DCT thread? http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415994

I'll let you go through that yourself. I do want to reiterate though that these transmissions are not to be babied...gentle starts and rolling stops are going to lead to issues down the road. Drive it as if you are driving a manual.

·
Registered
265 Posts
"Drive it as if you are driving a manual."
I've been driving manuals since 1980. I almost always do gentle starts and easy shifts. I have sen this phrase repeated many times and its never made sense. If Ford has built a tranny that needs to be beaten to work then they should tell buyers beforehand.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've been driving manuals since 1980. I almost always do gentle starts and easy shifts. I have sen this phrase repeated many times and its never made sense. If Ford has built a tranny that needs to be beaten to work then they should tell buyers beforehand.

I'm not saying that the execution of the DCT was stellar, and telling dealers to hand customers a piece of paper that even the dealer really didn't comprehend when the early builds first started having problems was irresponsible. As a community, we've all had to teach ourselves what works and what doesn't and for a situation like this, that's unacceptable.

As far as how the transmission is supposed to be treated...the evidence is largely anecdotal and for every proponent of the treatment, there is an equal naysayer (at least around here, anyway). But, if you really look at the mechanical aspect of things, there is a lot to be said for being aggressive with the car. There are enough success stories around here (I count myself among those), and even endorsements from service techs (makuloco for one) on driving aggressively.

Now, that does not mean driving like a 17 year old boy in his dad's car trying to show off to a hot chick. Rather, deliberate and quick throttle engagement, no creeping, and firm brake use are what's being advocated.

Every situation's different, though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yea I would give the dealer a chance to fix the issues. Mine had rattles and issues too. after a month everything is working how it should be and with no rattles.

I know a month doesn't sound pleasant but it was well worth it. no transmission issues, replaced stereo and APIM, and a quiet ride.

Word of advice, drop off the car and have them give you a loaner.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My DCT does not need to be beaten to work, that's just wrong. What I did was take it to the dealer and have the ECM updated with the latest TSB software. And, because there is some sort of "learning" algorithm in the code, I merely use the S mode on the shifter from standing starts, to make sure it doesn't get confused and try too shift to early, which I believe is where the shuddering comes from, on mine at least. My car no longer has any significant shudder. Once in a blue moon, it might make a very slight hiccup, but it could just be a bump in the road pulling away from a stoplight too. As for build quality, no squeaks, rattles, or wind noise, it's just a taut, but smooth quiet ride. The thing feels like a German car honestly.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

Welcome to the forum, amp22!

I want to check out some additional options. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
My DCT does not need to be beaten to work, that's just wrong. What I did was take it to the dealer and have the ECM updated with the latest TSB software. And, because there is some sort of "learning" algorithm in the code, I merely use the S mode on the shifter from standing starts, to make sure it doesn't get confused and try too shift to early, which I believe is where the shuddering comes from, on mine at least. My car no longer has any significant shudder. Once in a blue moon, it might make a very slight hiccup, but it could just be a bump in the road pulling away from a stoplight too. As for build quality, no squeaks, rattles, or wind noise, it's just a taut, but smooth quiet ride. The thing feels like a German car honestly.
well said. exacty how i feel and what i do with mine. no problems for me!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, I reversed too and to. "try TO shift TOO early".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts