Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find a way to make my signal lights a DRL on my ford focus. Sort of like how the Dart has its DRL.... Has anybody done this or seen it done or have any input on how to do it??? Im sure it can be done, just wondering if anyone has actually done it....

Im sure if i pulled the light out, and found the DRL wire that goes to the low beam, if i can re-route it to the signal light, it will hopefully light up the amber signal instead of the headlight..... I dont want to switch to aftermarket lights as i love the titanium lights it currently has, but i just want an amber DRL in the place of the signals!! :) Thanks.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have been trying to find a way to make my signal lights a DRL on my ford focus. Sort of like how the Dart has its DRL.... Has anybody done this or seen it done or have any input on how to do it??? Im sure it can be done, just wondering if anyone has actually done it....

Im sure if i pulled the light out, and found the DRL wire that goes to the low beam, if i can re-route it to the signal light, it will hopefully light up the amber signal instead of the headlight..... I dont want to switch to aftermarket lights as i love the titanium lights it currently has, but i just want an amber DRL in the place of the signals!! :) Thanks.
There is no specific "DRL" wire for the headlights. They are controlled by the BCM. DRL cars and non-DRL cars all have the same wires. What you are asking it's probably pretty easy to do with a few relays wired in. Or you could get something similar to this:

http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/DRL/DRL1.html

You might want to just search google, I'm sure people have done this on other cars and it should be similar in the focus.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that looks like the answer for me! only problem is, this wont cut out the actual DRL and will just make the signals turn on, with the headlamp... so i guess the only way to correct that would be to have the dealer flash the computer to eliminate the headlamp as DRL... correct?? Hopefully someone will have another idea too! :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
well that looks like the answer for me! only problem is, this wont cut out the actual DRL and will just make the signals turn on, with the headlamp... so i guess the only way to correct that would be to have the dealer flash the computer to eliminate the headlamp as DRL... correct?? Hopefully someone will have another idea too! :)
You can disable the DRL's yourself via the FoCCCus tool. See here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402666

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The amber DRLs do look pretty slick on the Dart. I almost bought a Dart instead of my Focus. I think I made the right decision.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im not sure if what i did is kinda what you are looking for but the marker lights in the top right of the headlight housing that are your parking lights i believe i swapped them out with a bright led so they kinda function as a drl. I went with 4000k white leds though. i think it looks alot more high end now

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im not sure if what i did is kinda what you are looking for but the marker lights in the top right of the headlight housing that are your parking lights i believe i swapped them out with a bright led so they kinda function as a drl. I went with 4000k white leds though. i think it looks alot more high end now
Which ones did you end up going with? I've been contemplating doing the same thing as the OP, and am familiar with the DRL-1 module linked above. But it seems like the housing can fit a longer 194 with a lot of LEDs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It can but here's a warning. If you place led in there DO NOT exceed 9 led tower (no more that two rows). I put in a amber three row tower led that nearly melted the housing. Go as short a tower as possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It can but here's a warning. If you place led in there DO NOT exceed 9 led tower (no more that two rows). I put in a amber three row tower led that nearly melted the housing. Go as short a tower as possible.
Interesting. I wouldn't think LEDs should get that hot.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Interesting. I wouldn't think LEDs should get that hot.
LED's actually do get pretty hot. The more led's and the higher the output, the hotter they get. This is usually why home LED lightbulbs and automotive bulbs have big heatsinks to draw the heat away from the actual LED. Since the heatsinks are built into the bulb, you always risk the bulb melting any plastic light housing. Some LED bulbs are engineered better than others, and dissipate heat better. Always good to run the bulb out of the housing first and see how hot it gets before you put it in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes i realize that, but they just are not big enough for my liking.. I love the dart front end but ford was gonna give me 31,000 for my mustang and dodge was only gonna give me 25,000 so it was a no brainer for me.... I love my focus, but i hate the parking lights & the fact it doesnt have HID/Projector and led DRL like my mustang did.... I want big, oraange markers, just like the dodge and i think the focus would look sweet if i got the blinkers to act as a DRL & delete my current DRL...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts