Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my latest Focus used with about 51k miles on it. I've had it almost two months, almost 3k miles on it, no issues, until last night. Took a right turn at an intersection, started accelerating, and all of a sudden it felt like the clutch disengaged and the engine started revving wildly, up a bit over 4k RPM before I removed my foot from the gas. It calmed down and reengaged, but the CEL was on, and I drove a couple more miles and parked at my destination.

About an hour later I came back out and drove it home. CEL still on, and now the shifting started acting weird. Hesitating and then kinda lunging into gear on acceleration, and feels very funky deccelerating but totally fine when cruising with no gear changes.

Pulled codes this morning and got P0805, which is the clutch position sensor. Talked to my more car knowledgeable brother and he seemed to think just replacing this sensor would fix things. But from the additional research I've done, it sounds like that generic code, specifically for 2014 Fords, means it's something inside the TCM that's causing the problem. There are no other codes.

Just now I went outside to check it out again, and when I pushed the unlock button and it started its little power-up routine, I heard a bunch of weird clicking and not-quite-grinding noises coming from it. But the car still starts fine.

Can anyone offer some guidance on this? I know these models have had numerous issues with the dual clutch system, but I'm not sure if this is directly related to that or a side issue.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,361 Posts
I bought my latest Focus used with about 51k miles on it. I've had it almost two months, almost 3k miles on it, no issues, until last night. Took a right turn at an intersection, started accelerating, and all of a sudden it felt like the clutch disengaged and the engine started revving wildly, up a bit over 4k RPM before I removed my foot from the gas. It calmed down and reengaged, but the CEL was on, and I drove a couple more miles and parked at my destination.

About an hour later I came back out and drove it home. CEL still on, and now the shifting started acting weird. Hesitating and then kinda lunging into gear on acceleration, and feels very funky deccelerating but totally fine when cruising with no gear changes.

Pulled codes this morning and got P0805, which is the clutch position sensor. Talked to my more car knowledgeable brother and he seemed to think just replacing this sensor would fix things. But from the additional research I've done, it sounds like that generic code, specifically for 2014 Fords, means it's something inside the TCM that's causing the problem. There are no other codes.

Just now I went outside to check it out again, and when I pushed the unlock button and it started its little power-up routine, I heard a bunch of weird clicking and not-quite-grinding noises coming from it. But the car still starts fine.

Can anyone offer some guidance on this? I know these models have had numerous issues with the dual clutch system, but I'm not sure if this is directly related to that or a side issue.
Check the battery voltage. Should be 12.65 volts on a good battery key off. No less. Running should be 13.6 to 14.3. No more no less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The voltage is fine. I'm going to take it to the dealer for service next week, as I think it should be covered under their extended TCM warranty.

·
Registered
52 Posts

My car is doing the same damn thing! It's actually the second time it has done it. Both times the problem went away on it's own. I took it to the ford dealer and the one dealer said the TCM warranty wont cover it because there are no TCM specific warranty codes. He said P0805 is not specific to the warranty. Said I would have to pay around 300 to have them check the transmission out. My fear is that they wont find anything. IF you take yours in please share as much info with me as possible so these people can't screw me over. My car is a 2012.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Ok so I went to read about P0805 in the Focus manual and here's my findings:

According to the manual, the problem seem to be an electric problem and/or TCM problem.

You'll need to check the voltage of the clutch motor A. If it read above 5.2V, the circuit is open and need to be repaired (aka the wire is damaged). If it read below 5.2V, the resistance need to be checked. If it is below 5 ohm or above 10000 ohm, the TCM is the problem.

P0805
Clutch Position Sensor "A" Circuit
Clutch motor A fault detected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car is doing the same damn thing! It's actually the second time it has done it. Both times the problem went away on it's own. I took it to the ford dealer and the one dealer said the TCM warranty wont cover it because there are no TCM specific warranty codes. He said P0805 is not specific to the warranty. Said I would have to pay around 300 to have them check the transmission out. My fear is that they wont find anything. IF you take yours in please share as much info with me as possible so these people can't screw me over. My car is a 2012.
That's weird. I did a bunch of research on this, and the document about the extended warranty specifically mentions that code as part of the coverage. I've got an appointment to drop it off tomorrow morning. I'll definitely update when I learn more.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Screenshot of the DTC.
Search the forum and got this ....

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-focus/278111-hidden-menu-dtcs-what-do-they-mean.html

I found that a while ago when this first happened. This dtc comes and goes. It's definitely related to the transmission issue.

Sent from my SM-G960F using FF Mobile
Doesnt tell me anything about why the transmission is acting the way it is when the problem occurs.

When the problem occurs I cant put the car into sport mode or shift mode.

·
FF Affiliate
30,704 Posts
Doesnt tell me anything about why the transmission is acting the way it is when the problem occurs.

When you move the shifter your not putting anything into a gear , when you move the shifter it tells the TCM what gear you would like , the TCM looks at many things then commands a gear if everything is safe and with in the standards to go into gear

If something isnt right the TCM wont allow the commanded gear and as we know the TCM is bad to go bad

Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts

When you move the shifter your not putting anything into a gear , when you move the shifter it tells the TCM what gear you would like , the TCM looks at many things then commands a gear if everything is safe and with in the standards to go into gear

If something isnt right the TCM wont allow the commanded gear and as we know the TCM is bad to go bad

Tom
When I shift into sport mode, the car won't go into sport mode. The indicator for sport mode won't light up. From what your saying either something is going wrong and the TCM is doing its job or it is the TCM thats wrong. Not DTC codes are being thrown other than that one I posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I dropped the car off Wednesday morning. The CEL was off because I cleared the codes when pulling them over the weekend without thinking and the issue hadn't returned. The car was driving fine this week. But that meant they couldn't officially diagnose the TCM problem and go through the fix. They did discover that the clutch had some issues when running their diagnostics. Imagine that!

So I picked it up Thursday with no work done on it. The main tech told me the clutch issue wasn't that serious and I could probably drive the car for years before needing to get it fixed. At this point I just need to wait for the issue to happen again and bring it back with the CEL on and the codes still in the car. I did get 100% confirmation that P0805 is covered under the extended TCM warranty, so it will be a free repair when it happens again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Final update: Last Thursday, the transmission started acting up again, not wanting to shift, and slipping out of gear once. Got some different warnings this time: the CEL came on, but I also got a message on screen saying "Transmission fault. Service now." Pulled the codes and it was just P0606 this time, which indicates another internal TCM error, perhaps more of a total failure in this case?

Anyway, I dropped it at the dealership this morning, and they replaced the TCM, entirely under the extended 10yr/150k warranty. So all's well that ends well, and I guess I still have about four and a half more years of coverage if the new TCM fails too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts