Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I purchased my 2014 Focus new in March of this year. Since then I have driven a little over 20K miles in varying DC area traffic and a few road trips. The DCT was always a little clunky at slow DC traffic crawling speeds, but usually manageable.

The past week or so it started to shudder a bit harder, made some new noises at low speeds, and today it completely gave out going up a small hill at about 20 mph. The result was high RPM's with absolutely no forward motion, and after parking, no reverse motion either. The smell was very much that of burnt clutch. Just thought I would throw in another 2014 report. The car was built in November of 2013, so it may be newer than the latest TSB and warranty extension covers.

Pretty disappointed overall, but either way it seems as if the 2014 has the same problems as many of the previous years with the DCT. The car is never driven hard and is basically used 3-4 days a week for commuting 25-60 miles each way. I'm assuming the clutch went completely out and could no longer grab. Has anyone had theirs stop working all together?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi All-

I purchased my 2014 Focus new in March of this year. Since then I have driven a little over 20K miles in varying DC area traffic and a few road trips. The DCT was always a little clunky at slow DC traffic crawling speeds, but usually manageable.

The past week or so it started to shudder a bit harder, made some new noises at low speeds, and today it completely gave out going up a small hill at about 20 mph. The result was high RPM's with absolutely no forward motion, and after parking, no reverse motion either. The smell was very much that of burnt clutch. Just thought I would throw in another 2014 report. The car was built in November of 2013, so it may be newer than the latest TSB and warranty extension covers.

Pretty disappointed overall, but either way it seems as if the 2014 has the same problems as many of the previous years with the DCT. The car is never driven hard and is basically used 3-4 days a week for commuting 25-60 miles each way. I'm assuming the clutch went completely out and could no longer grab. Has anyone had theirs stop working all together?
Welcome to the forum!

I want to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus SE that was purchased in March too, build date 02/14/2014, so pretty fresh when I bought it. I noticed the 'gear box grinding' noise sometimes when making a turn off a complete stop within the first 400 miles, took it for service, and was told its there and there's nothing you can do about it, but it doesn't mean its going to get worse.

We have 13,000 miles on it now, and for the first 12000 miles, it rode great! Within the last month since its started to get cooler though, we've been noticing a 'shudder' when coming off a stop. At first it would be occasionally when you'd stop at a corner to turn, it would feel like it couldn't hop into the next gear in the low speed. Since then, there will be days where it will do it every time you come to a stop, at a light, stop sign, in stop and go traffic. I've noticed it does it when the needle gets between 10-15 mph. Then the next day, it won't do it at all!

I want to take it in to get checked, but I feel this is going to be one of those situations where I take it in and they can't reproduce it, so send me on my way. I thought these problems were supposed to be ironed out for the 2014s! Are there any TSBs that apply to the 2014 transmissions?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus SE that was purchased in March too, build date 02/14/2014, so pretty fresh when I bought it. I noticed the 'gear box grinding' noise sometimes when making a turn off a complete stop within the first 400 miles, took it for service, and was told its there and there's nothing you can do about it, but it doesn't mean its going to get worse.

We have 13,000 miles on it now, and for the first 12000 miles, it rode great! Within the last month since its started to get cooler though, we've been noticing a 'shudder' when coming off a stop. At first it would be occasionally when you'd stop at a corner to turn, it would feel like it couldn't hop into the next gear in the low speed. Since then, there will be days where it will do it every time you come to a stop, at a light, stop sign, in stop and go traffic. I've noticed it does it when the needle gets between 10-15 mph. Then the next day, it won't do it at all!

I want to take it in to get checked, but I feel this is going to be one of those situations where I take it in and they can't reproduce it, so send me on my way. I thought these problems were supposed to be ironed out for the 2014s! Are there any TSBs that apply to the 2014 transmissions?
Hi FordNewbieGirl,

The PowerShift 6 Speed Transmission is designed to provide the feel and efficiency of a manual transmission with the easy driving of an automatic. The PowerShift transmission automatically engages the next gear in anticipation of the shift, providing seamless shifting. It also has neutral idling, which disengages the transmission when sitting at idle, and helps to maximize fuel efficiency.

Because the PowerShift 6 Speed Transmission operates similarly to a manual transmission, you may notice some characteristics that provide a unique driving experience from the automatic transmission you may be used to:
  • When you take your foot off the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down you may perceive a light to medium braking sensation as the transmissions makes adjustments.
  • During the break in period, the transmission may shift quicker or harder. This will smooth out after a short period of time.
  • You may hear mechanical noises when driving.
  • You may feel a difference when pulling away from a stop.

Your dealer will be able to give you more info on the feelings of driving this kind of vehicle and see if it's within spec.

Meagan

·
Registered
168 Posts

Mine does the exact same thing, even after I had the July TSB uploaded. However, I *think* I can mitigate it by one or both of the following:

1) At a stop, press the brake pedal far enough to disengage the clutch (ie. turn on launch control) and rev the engine a little. As the rpms come down, lift on the brake a little to get a hair of clutch slip

2) After reversing from a parking spot or my driveway, I now ALWAYS pull the shifter to the S position to start out. This seems to remove the computer's confusion over whether it wants to shift in that 10-15mph area or not... I don't take it out of S unless I'm going to be steadily cruising above 45mph.

#2 seems to have the most effect at minimizing or eliminating the shudder (actually, I think you nailed it, the computer just can't decide if it wants to shift or not, and it very quickly actuates the solenoid trying to decide to shift or not, causing the shudder effect)

I know it's not clutch slip, and it NEVER EVER does it above 1st gear. As a computer geek, this is clearly a bug in the programming algorithm that just hasn't been found or fixed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Since I got the car, I've read every post/article I could find on the DCT so I would know all about it and what is considered normal. I don't believe the shuddering is suddenly operator error. It never happened in the first 12000+ miles, only recently. If it was meant to do that, it would have been doing it from the beginning, not start at 12K, if you know what I mean. I don't know what speeds are the different gears, but it never happens at higher speeds, only between 10-15 mph, so I'm assuming its getting confused shifting from 1st to 2nd. It doesn't happen every time, though it is happening more frequently...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing, even after I had the July TSB uploaded. However, I *think* I can mitigate it by one or both of the following:

1) At a stop, press the brake pedal far enough to disengage the clutch (ie. turn on launch control) and rev the engine a little. As the rpms come down, lift on the brake a little to get a hair of clutch slip

2) After reversing from a parking spot or my driveway, I now ALWAYS pull the shifter to the S position to start out. This seems to remove the computer's confusion over whether it wants to shift in that 10-15mph area or not... I don't take it out of S unless I'm going to be steadily cruising above 45mph.

#2 seems to have the most effect at minimizing or eliminating the shudder (actually, I think you nailed it, the computer just can't decide if it wants to shift or not, and it very quickly actuates the solenoid trying to decide to shift or not, causing the shudder effect)

I know it's not clutch slip, and it NEVER EVER does it above 1st gear. As a computer geek, this is clearly a bug in the programming algorithm that just hasn't been found or fixed.
Are you saying that the "shudder" people talk about with the DCTs is not traditional clutch chatter?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Are you saying that the "shudder" people talk about with the DCTs is not traditional clutch chatter?
In my case, it is absolutely NOT clutch chatter. With the windows open, you can clearly hear and feel the actuator solenoid(s) .. well, actuating.... my clutch does not slip. And, it ONLY does it in first gear. I have had good success by always going straight from P or R directly to S, skipping D. It is definitely a bug in the programming algorithm, related to what other function, I don't know. Could be a conflict with ABS, Traction Control, Hill Assist, Stability Control, or none of those. But it is definitely erroneous signals being sent to the shifting solenoid(s) or brake system, and not traditional clutch slip/chatter.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I definitely have this issue. It's been "fixed" numerous times. It's almost always in traffic going from 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing, even after I had the July TSB uploaded...
...It doesn't happen every time, though it is happening more frequently...
If you guys are planning on heading in to your dealer, please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll check some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
... As a computer geek, this is clearly a bug in the programming algorithm that just hasn't been found or fixed.
Or several bugs. Having multiple independent processors performing different functions that have to cooperate (not just load sharing) is never easy to debug, and raises the probability of bugs exponentially. Being a real-time application adds to the complexity. No time to resequence packets, or anything like that, and race conditions are a real b[:)][:)]ch to find.

... It is definitely a bug in the programming algorithm, related to what other function, I don't know. Could be a conflict with ABS, Traction Control, Hill Assist, Stability Control, or none of those. But it is definitely erroneous signals being sent to the shifting solenoid(s) or brake system, and not traditional clutch slip/chatter.
Or all of those. Don't forget Torque Vectoring (related to ABS). Many reports of problems involve shuddering while accellerating going around a corner. Communication between the many processors could also be buggy. Not to mention the problem multiple processors creates with version control. An update to the code for one could cause a bug in another to become more disruptive. Fun stuff.

I've been suspicious of hardware for a while, too. Even if the code is good when loaded it can get corrupted in memory. Or, if the CPU is not up to the task, any delays in processing can mess things up. I've never seen any specs on the CPU used in the TCM, or heard whether it has been upgraded since the original version. It could also be affected a lot by temperature variations.

·
Registered
472 Posts
For the sake of everyone with problems I wish they would just fix it! Thats the issue with so many independent electronic systems working together. Plus the seal failures probaly havent helped. There is no reason the transmission should not work really well, it really not all that complicated mechanically.

Part of the issue too could be the need to keep gas mileage high and the need to meet peoples expectations of how the transmission should work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shudder/studder/sputter, oh my.

I was just getting ready to take my 2014 Ford Focus SE back to the dealer for "shuddering". Your experience/symptoms matches mine exactly! The car performed great until right after I turned over 13,000 miles! Initially I thought I had a bad tank of gas because the engine would shudder as I first started accelerating from a start. The shuddering would only occur betweeen 1st and 2nd gears. Once I get up past 20 or so MPH, no engine problems at all. After refilling the tank several times, I know it isn't bad fuel. The strange part...it won't do this everyday! It will do this for 3-4 days, then be fine for a day, rinse, repeat. I'm really worried about pushback from the dealer if I can't reproduce the issue for them. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the car was fixed and returned on Thursday. Seems to be better than when I test drove it brand new at this point. No shudder when leaving from a stop in first gear yet, but I will be trying it out in some heavy traffic at rush hour today. One of the cluthes had burnt and become pretty damages, as well as a clutch fork that had been stuck. They replaced the bad clutch and clutch fork, as well as an actuator I believe. I don't have the ticket with me at work. But, looks good for now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Left Stranded in the Middle of I-635

Well on December 30 at 3:30pm the DT transmission in my 2012 Focus died and left me sitting in the middle of I-635 in Dallas. First the transmission jumped out of gear, then I got a transmission overheating message. The car was just dead. The transmission had dropped out of gear and nothing would let me get out of the middle of the road. While hundreds, if not thousands cars flowed around my dead car. After a while the police arrived and pushed the car off the roadway and called a wrecker. It arrived in about a half an hour. I had the car towed to the dealer.

This was very dangerous, cars were stacked behind me and cars went passed me on both sides at 50 or 60 miles an hour. I love the car, but I can't risk my life and others when the transmission fails.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I assume a restart didn't help.

That's the temporary answer that often works I wanted to mention for any "newbies" to keep in mind in case something similar happens to them.

Sorry to hear you had a real disaster failure with yours.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Restart didn't help. The controller was burned out. Also I should mention the check engine light came on at the same time.

·
Registered
710 Posts
This was very dangerous, cars were stacked behind me and cars went passed me on both sides at 50 or 60 miles an hour. I love the car, but I can't risk my life and others when the transmission fails.
terrible experience
Unfortunately IMO it is going to cost lives(and lawyers) to get Ford to wake up regarding the DCT issues

I was several hours from home when mine started the really crazy actions
Fortunately it held together for two hours of driving to get me home on the busiest highway in North America
I completely understand feeling unsafe with your vehicle

I considered trying to trade mine but wasnt willing to get raped on trade in value of a 6 month old car

I read this thread and hear people refer to "normal DCT performance"
None of these issues were present in the car I test drove or my car when it was brand new
The performance quirks showed up later

1 - 20 of 27 Posts