Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's hear them! It would be great to hear progress throughout the year!

For me:
19:59 or better 5K
44:59 or better 10K
275lb 1RM bench

I ended 2013 with a 20:31 5K and 250lb 1RM bench. This might not seem like very big goals for 2014, but I'm not sure how much faster my 5K is going to get and 275lb 1RM is my all-time high, let alone when trying to stay lean for running.
You'll notice there is no weight goal here.

Good luck everyone! [strongman]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My ambitious 2014 goals have changed from personal bests to "recovery". Earlier this year I pulled/tore my ilopsoas muscle (hip flexor). I ran two 5K's on it while being injured, and while I did well in the races, it certainly did not help it to heal. I'm just now back to being able to run regularly, but still not at my normal pace.
I'm scrapping my original goals and focusing on recovering, because this particular injury has not been fun.
We'll see what 2015 brings.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't have any specific goals in mind except for gaining muscle. I've been a twig all my life and have never joined a gym until a couple weeks ago. I'm now going to Planet Fitness or my local gym in the school district daily. I've been doing all strength training. Working mostly on biceps, triceps, core, and back after which I usually follow up with 2 miles on one of the bikes. I figure if I go on a daily basis I'll get the results I'm looking for. [:D]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any specific goals in mind except for gaining muscle. I've been a twig all my life and have never joined a gym until a couple weeks ago. I'm now going to Planet Fitness or my local gym in the school district daily. I've been doing all strength training. Working mostly on biceps, triceps, core, and back after which I usually follow up with 2 miles on one of the bikes. I figure if I go on a daily basis I'll get the results I'm looking for. [:D]
Good luck!
If you're looking for mass, you should include the classics bench, squat, and deadlift.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Good luck!
If you're looking for mass, you should include the classics bench, squat, and deadlift.
This. All of this. I just started on a 5x5 program designed by Stronglifts, you can check out their site here. Also, the Wendler 5/3/1 program comes highly recommended as well. You can check out the Wendler 5/3/1 here. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking of building muscles without weights. Can I be really ripped? This article says it can be done. But I wonder how big you can get without lifting weights
You can do a significant amount with body weight exercises for the upper body, but body weight is just not enough to stress the legs enough for much growth. You'll need some kind of added weight for the legs.
If you want to be "ripped", IE very low body fat, then that is a second goal and will revolve mostly around diet.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, 2016 for me is going to be getting back to my 2013 fitness level...

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can do a significant amount with body weight exercises for the upper body, but body weight is just not enough to stress the legs enough for much growth. You'll need some kind of added weight for the legs.
If you want to be "ripped", IE very low body fat, then that is a second goal and will revolve mostly around diet.
I definitely work on my diet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts