Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
The moral to this story is don't let your battery fully discharge.
If I know I won't be using the car for 2 weeks, I plug the battery tender with the quick connect...

Takes 5 min tops.... I might be over cautious but my '12 stock battery is still very good at winters!

·
Registered
473 Posts
When batteries die in the winter it stands out in our mind more because it is probably more problematic or disruptive to address just because of the cold weather.

I find they seem to fail in waves. I'll go for years with no battery failures and then three will die within a month of each other. The burden of having to maintain five cars with teen and college age kids in the fold.......

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
...and that's why the battery didn't last long.

Lead acid batteries like to be kept at full charge. When it doesn't run often PLUS shorter run times EQUALS not kept at full charge, thus not lasting too long.

If you have a closed garage, consider getting a maintenance charger or whatever they're called.
my commute each way every day is about a 1/2 hour , fifteen minutes of it is highway

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
my commute each way every day is about a 1/2 hour , fifteen minutes of it is highway
Not all battery are created equal... you had a dud.

Btw, if you plan to replace the battery make sure the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) is reset to use full capacity of the battery.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not all battery are created equal... you had a dud.

Btw, if you plan to replace the battery make sure the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) is reset to use full capacity of the battery.
how do you reset it ?
I did replace the battery already
Night time temps are around the freezing mark ... not waiting for a no start at the crack of stupid

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.