Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I've had my 2014 Focus Titanium hatchback 5 speed for about 3-4 months now.

I'm 3200 miles in (took a trip far away to enjoy the new wheels), and I am noticing something that I'm not familiar with because this is honestly my first manual DD.

I have to park outside, and it is absolutely freaking cold here (-4 degree Fahrenheit this morning without wind chill).

On these mornings, and most winter days, I get a bit of a stiff shift to the lower gears, like being able to feel the gears grabbing. This appears to go away after the car has been driven for 15-20 minutes, but it seems odd that 1 + 2 + R are so much harder to get into than 3+4+5 at first.

Anyone else experience this in the cold?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sure - that oil in the tranny is going to be v. viscous at those temps and needs to warm up before the shifting gets smooth. I don't think there is any issue. Every manual I have had has done that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure - that oil in the tranny is going to be v. viscous at those temps and needs to warm up before the shifting gets smooth. I don't think there is any issue. Every manual I have had has done that.
Thanks, I am paranoid about every unfamiliar vibration, sensation, and noise with my cars.

I will make sure it's not still happening in the summer.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Thanks, I am paranoid about every unfamiliar vibration, sensation, and noise with my cars.

I will make sure it's not still happening in the summer.
In summer you will experience gear rollover from the tranny...

It sound like engine knocking...its completely normal.... do a little search on the MTX75 on google

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll also say it's normal and I wouldn't worry about it. My BMW manual (Getrag) is stiff, clunks, crunches and grinds when it's sits below 0F. That's with Amsoil full synthetic transmission fluid too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch guys!

I'll do my research on the MTX75, thankfully it looks like they've stuck with the same design for the last decade and a half and just made improvements along the way.

No new-fangled tech to botch.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The Jetta I had (probably same brand of tranny as the Bimmer above) was pretty bad when it was cold.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Hey everybody,
I've had my 2014 Focus Titanium hatchback 5 speed for about 3-4 months now.

I'm 3200 miles in (took a trip far away to enjoy the new wheels), and I am noticing something that I'm not familiar with because this is honestly my first manual DD.

I have to park outside, and it is absolutely freaking cold here (-4 degree Fahrenheit this morning without wind chill).

On these mornings, and most winter days, I get a bit of a stiff shift to the lower gears, like being able to feel the gears grabbing. This appears to go away after the car has been driven for 15-20 minutes, but it seems odd that 1 + 2 + R are so much harder to get into than 3+4+5 at first.

Anyone else experience this in the cold?
With few exceptions, you shouldn't downshift into lower gears (1 or 2) while the car is moving.

When the outside temperature is below freezing, you should baby it until it warms up.

·
Registered
976 Posts
2...really....been doing that as I coast to stops for over 20 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With few exceptions, you shouldn't downshift into lower gears (1 or 2) while the car is moving.

When the outside temperature is below freezing, you should baby it until it warms up.
I almost never downshift to 1 (unless I'm crawling in a parking lot), and I only downshift to 2 under 20... and I burn my brakes instead of my clutch by not downshifting for engine braking to most stops.

I have to downshift to 2 around certain turns and slowdowns in town though. 3 doesn't have enough grunt where I live, everything is on a hill.

My rev matching is something I am mindful of though, so I never put that brunt on the drivetrain to spin up...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll do my research on the MTX75, thankfully it looks like they've stuck with the same design for the last decade and a half and just made improvements along the way.t
If I'm not mistaken, it's actually been TWO and a half decades that they've used this transmission. :)

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it's actually been TWO and a half decades that they've used this transmission. :)
Yup, it's a granny tranny by today's standard...but the granny does the job well [;)]

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
when it is freezing out, I can barely get my car to go into R. I always thought maybe because I installed the short throw shifter . . .

·
Registered
627 Posts
The MTX-75 uses the gears to move oil around to lubricate the gearbox. One should always rev the engine a few times to get the oil moving before driving. This should help with the stiffness when cold.

But as others have said, this is pretty normal of the MTX-75.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine has not been bad, but I've only had it out in 10 degrees. All manuals feel stiffer in bitter cold, my 79 CJ7 3 speed was a bear to move the shifter below 10 degrees.
Never downshift into 1st while moving, 2nd is fine at low speeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I was beginning to think I had somehow hosed my transmission :/

·
Registered
976 Posts
It was 18 here this morning when I left for work and I paid attention to my shifting per this thread. Its a little stiff but not too bad..loosens up as soon as the oil gets up to temp. On the 1/2 shifting...yes...I never downshift to 1 unless I am stopped..hoses your syncros.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was 18 here this morning when I left for work and I paid attention to my shifting per this thread. Its a little stiff but not too bad..loosens up as soon as the oil gets up to temp. On the 1/2 shifting...yes...I never downshift to 1 unless I am stopped..hoses your syncros.
13 here today, wasn't much to notice, but it gets down to 0 and lower some mornings :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
and I burn my brakes instead of my clutch by not downshifting for engine braking to most stops.
Oh take advantage of engine-breaking where you can!
Just don't down shift if your RPMs are over, I dunno, 2000(?) or so.
Maybe 2500? (This is a feel thing that I haven't bothered to quantify in *years* lol and every vehicle is a bit different anyway)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts