Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually my womans car first. So, the other day shes driving it and calls me on the phone as she's headed home saying that it isn't doing right, only going 15-20 mph. She gets it home and parks it (thankfully it was close to home when this happened). I go out and try to drive it to see what it is doing. It starts right up, I go to put it in reverse and nothing, it revs up but wont go. Well I go do drive it and she's right only 15-20 mph with a Check engine light on. I get to messing with it and turning the key off and on I noticed that it was a clicking/clunking/grinding sound before I started it. As I was cycling the key I noticed sometimes it wouldn't allow the car to turn over but other times it would. I hooked my obd2 scanner up to it and it showed a P087b code which I looked up and said it was a clutch position sensor b. I've also looked up a few different youtube videos to try various things before considering major issues. Most cases I've seen online people refer to either the clutch actuator or the TCM. Any Ideas guys? Anyway to check any of these? [?|][?|][?|]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Could be the TCM which is a common failure in these cars, the good news is that the TCM is covered up to 150k miles under a special warranty extension program by Ford. If it is a failed TCM Ford will cover the diagnosis and repair (as long as it's done at a Ford dealer) under this coverage. BUT if it is just the clutch sensor or actuator (which is a less than common failure) you will be on the hook for the repairs and diagnostic costs. I don't think there are any "DIY" diagnostic procedures that can help you determine exactly what is wrong unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, last year we had the car at the dealership for a similar problem. Since the car has a rebuilt title, I don't think the car is covered (we were on the hook for that too). Thinking I may take it and have it looked at, if it is the tcm and not covered I may be looking into an aftermarket lifetime warranty TCM. Any Idea if an aftermarket one has to be programmed???

·
Registered
79 Posts
Title status shouldn't matter (unless they can prove flood damage or something)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, last year we had the car at the dealership for a similar problem. Since the car has a rebuilt title, I don't think the car is covered (we were on the hook for that too). Thinking I may take it and have it looked at, if it is the tcm and not covered I may be looking into an aftermarket lifetime warranty TCM. Any Idea if an aftermarket one has to be programmed???
Yes, an aftermarket one will need to be programmed if it even exists. You may find a "remanufactured" TCM but I don't know who would supply it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, an aftermarket one will need to be programmed if it even exists. You may find a "remanufactured" TCM but I don't know who would supply it.
I actually have found a remanufactured TCM with lifetime warranty by Dorman which is through Oreillys. It has a lifetime warranty and is much cheaper than the dealership. Napa offers one with a lifetime warranty as well.
You think a remanufactured one would need reprogrammed?

As for the Title status, The last time we went to the dealership they made us pay for it even though it was the clutch shutter problem which ford offered an extended warranty for. First they said it was completely covered by that warranty, then they said they tried to send it in and ford wouldn't cover it so we had to pay for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found the one you mentioned on Oriellys webpage, the only thing I wonder is if it would be any better than the oem part? In my experience, those off-brand computers and sensors can be iffy at best, some may work great while others only work for a short time and crap out, and given that the Motorcraft part that they are replacing has a high failure rate itself doesn't help matters. It also says the Doorman brand part is a reman unit with a $200+ core charge so theres that to consider. I did find a motorcraft TCM on ebay for $97 but it's on eBay so there's that... Any way you look at it it will have to be programmed to your car.

It sounds like you need to find a different dealer in my opinion. The one you are dealing with seems to be playing games, IDK if you have any others reasonably close to you but you might want to get a second opinion. I have 17 Ford dealerships within 25 miles of my location and if one tries shady shit its off to the next one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Once the title is branded all factory warranty is cancelled including extensions, 14M02 would have covered the TCM (which is your problem btw) if it weren't branded. I have no idea about aftermarket TCM's but any replacement module will require reprogramming to the car and also an adaptive relearn. Not likely either of those can be done with an AM scan tool. If you paid for a TCM replacement it has a service part warranty of 2yrs/unlimited mileage regardless of the title.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Once the title is branded all factory warranty is cancelled including extensions, 14M02 would have covered the TCM (which is your problem btw) if it weren't branded. I have no idea about aftermarket TCM's but any replacement module will require reprogramming to the car and also an adaptive relearn. Not likely either of those can be done with an AM scan tool. If you paid for a TCM replacement it has a service part warranty of 2yrs/unlimited mileage regardless of the title.
You're wrong. Even with a branded title, 14M02 still applies to the vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts