Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know. Its been covered a million times, however....... We have 2013 focus with the auto trans issue. The weird thing is that the shudder only happens after driving for long distancds, say 80 miles, or in the summer.

Im unable to duplicate the issue for the dealer. I tried getting the tranny hot, i even power braked till i could smell the clutch. No shudder still. Its very intermittent to say the least. Any ideas how to make it do it for the dealer or why its almost non existent in the winter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did they run the diagnostic or are you saying you went on a drive with a service person and it won't do it?

If the latter, tell them to just run the diagnostic (really, they should have done that anyway). If the former, not sure what to tell you. The diagnostic runs for a little while, so it should have time to get warm. If it's not outside the 250RPM threshold while being tested, there's not much you can do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Least time they ran diag and came up with nothing so they said. A diag won't really find clutch wear or leaking oil into clutch though. Im gonna take it back this week and try again. Hoping to get it replaced then get toms tune.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A diag won't really find clutch wear or leaking oil into clutch though.
Are you sure about that? The diagnostic measures the difference between the input shaft speed and engine RPM. If that difference is more than 250 RPM, it means the clutch is slipping. Clutch wear and oil contamination would both lead to clutch slippage.

In theory, you could have only a little slip from a little wear or a little contamination, and it might be below 250 RPMs.

You said yours is happening when it's warm, which is the "dry" shudder. That's from heat buildup on the clutch plates. That'll make them wear pretty quickly, so it might just be that you need more time to allow for premature wear to get past the 250 RPM threshold.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would take it to an independent transmission shop and get their opinion.

I personally wouldn't trust anything a Ford mechanic says about the DTS. I believe they are trying to minimize, downplay, or flat out lie about DTS issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, we are still under the 7 yr warranty. Almost done, but i want to get it fixed before that's the case. This is helpful to tell ford.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts