Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Suspension is garbage. They like to shake around a lot when going over bumps at highway speeds.
My mom's 2014 Hyundai sonata has been great even at a hundred thousand miles still great. I can't say the same about my focus suspension.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
This is also why I buy the full GAP coverage that the dealer offers when I finance a vehicle. So I'm not stuck in a situation like that

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

^^ this ^^ learned the hard way once never again

Glad you and your wife weren’t injured that’s the important thing.

The mk3 is built like a dang tank. I got rear ended I’m my 14 totaled the Saturn that hit me beyond repair my focus? A bumper some pins and foam absorption stuff less than 2k damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wouldn’t take a Chevy trax if you gave it to me hot steaming garbage I’ve had two friends get them both traded within six months. Nightmare vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure looking at used cheap economy cars more than 1-2 years old not known for their reliability & putting a 6+ year loan on them is a very smart decision. Your interest rate on that 6 year loan and poor credit will be outrageous, if you put any sort of mileage on the car by the time it’s paid off you will have about a 10 year old car with a considerable amount of miles on it. You don’t want to have costly repairs on a vehicle your still making payments on. Don’t want to keep ending up upside down in car loans. Might be better to pay cash for a beater with a heater, save up some cash for a considerable down payment, then go after a vehicle with a shorter loan term

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, the good news is, talked to progressive today and they are going to repair it. They were within 700 dollars of declaring it a total loss. Will wait to hear more, but it sounds like they are going to go ahead and order parts and get started.

We actually went ahead and called about a different car. The dealer was trying, but it would have put us 200 a month more than the current payment. They actually had approval for a 10% interest rate. Which kind of surprised me. However, not going to be slave to a car payment. So I guess the focus will be around for a while. After I pay off, maybe I'll trade. On the other hand, if all I'd get was 1000 or 1500, maybe I'll just keep the focus as a miles car and just run it back and forth to work until the wheels fall off, and get a nicer car for weekends.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
All's well that ends well. Picked the car up yesterday and it looks great. All is back to normal. One other question I do have.

The front driver headlight had this prior. But I'm getting condensation in the headlight to the point I've got mold in the turn signal inside the headlight. I've seen videos on how to remove the light and the bulbs and could probably use a hairdryer to dry out the inside easily enough. How would you go about getting the mold out however? I thought of pulling all the bulbs and dumping bleach inside the headlight, but realized from some of the videos that there appear to be electric wires inside the housing even with the bulbs out.

Just wondering before I mess with it or buy a new housing. Rest of the car now looks so good, I might as well fix this since I know resale of my car, although fixed is probably going to be tanked. So I figure that this car will be with me a while. Maybe until the wheels fall off or the engine or transmission decide to fall out from under the car.

Edit. My car now may considered frankenstein. It's a 2013, but from what I read on my estimate, many of the parts are off a 2014. Looks good though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
When I picked it up, the guy at the body shop even said he was shocked when the other company wanted to total the car.

In the end, I went through progressive and they fixed it. About 700 away from total loss. But after my wife talked to the other company, they agreed to front my deductible, so no money out of pocket for me. Just the time to get it fixed. Glad we had another vehicle to drive and that we work in the same building. So we could share a ride.

I will say it was great to have the car back. So much more fun to drive than the Chevy sonic LT we have. Not that the sonic is a bad car, but the focus with the DCT for everything everyone says about it, can just take off. Left the shop and realized how much fun the car is to drive again. Almost as good as having a new car.

Aside from my question above about the headlight, anyone tried these seat covers?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Focus-Front-Seat-Covers-Coverking-Spacer-Mesh-Custom-Made-to-Order/183859893684?fits=Year:2013|Model:Focus|Make:Ford&epid=1134437985&hash=item2acee755b4:m:myyXb0gTVrcJvveluA0BMmg

Got a rip in my drivers seat. Just thinking of ways to fix the car a bit since I'm now planning to keep it and drive it a while. I think I'd like to keep it even after we get another new car in a couple of years when it's paid for just to rack up miles on as resale value would be tanked. May even check scrap yards near me and see what a seat would cost. That may be the ticket if I could get one for 75 or under.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would go ahead and remove the headlight and try to clean and dry it out. Getting wires wet shouldn't hurt. Once you dry it, use some clear silicone to seal all the seams. They have issues with not being airtight. Otherwise, it's bound to happen again. Also check that the socket gaskets are sealing well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the info. My thought was pull the light and take it in the house and try to clean it up. Do you think with mold in the turn signal area, that a little bleach would hurt?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks for the info. My thought was pull the light and take it in the house and try to clean it up. Do you think with mold in the turn signal area, that a little bleach would hurt?
I'd make a bleach/water solution of about 1:4. Straight bleach might affect the plastic. If you can tie a piece of fabric to a wire that you can use to give it a light scrub, that would help to dislodge the mold. The stuff has a tendency to hold on otherwise.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts