Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yes, the story says it all. Was rear ended a couple of weeks ago by Chevy Silverado 3500 HD. My car is a 13 Sedan SE race red, 104k.

Got my insurance going to the body shop to look at it today. Hopefully they elect to fix it. The other insurance didn't want to repair due to repairs being 83% of car's value they say.

I'll have to see if I can figure out how to upload the 3 photos I have. But he rear ended me on the rear passenger side of my car. So basically broke the tail light on the passenger side, smashed in the bumper cover on that side, as well put a good dent in the trunk and pushed it foward on that side. The shop said what may make it expensive is that when he hit, the truck apparently smashed/pushed in the piece where the bumper actually attaches onto and broke some of the factory welds.

Thankfully the car did it's job. No air bags deployed, my wife and I are fine. Ironically, the windshield wipers turned on of all things. The passenger rear fender didn't appear touched. Other insurance company has been nice enough, but wants to total, so now that my insurance is involved, going to let them repair or whatever, and fight it out. Good thing is I have a gap coverage with them, so that would get applied toward remainder of my loan, but wouldn't clear everything, bought my car when my credit was shot so would have some overhang. Hoping they just fix and then I can trade in later on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pity you’re upside down if they total it. I’m getting rid of any new car that’s in a serious accident. To many sensors and wiring busses to go bad.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I thought that whats gap is for... to cover the rest. Why doesn't it go all the way?
If it's through the insurance company most don't do full payout will only cover a percentage of vehicle cash value.

Like mine thru progressive is call Loan Payoff assistance: but only covers 25% of value of vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is also why I buy the full GAP coverage that the dealer offers when I finance a vehicle. So I'm not stuck in a situation like that

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just got hit a few weeks ago in a low speed collision where the other driver failed to stop and yield at a stop sign in a parking lot. Damage didn't seem like a whole lot but with everything, the adjuster came up with over $1800 and I opted for a cash payment with the idea that I would fix it myself.

The main damage was to the front driver's side fender. Fortunately, I was able to find a salvage part in great shape in the right paint color for $125. The pics show before and after prior to touching up the scratches on the bumper and wheel which I did last evening. A lot of the cost on the dealer estimate is for painting the fender (they listed a salvage one also but in another color) and blending the adjacent panels. With a used fender in the right color, the color is pretty spot-on to my car. It will match better than it appears in the photo below when I get a chance to wash the whole car. [:)]

0913191226 (1).jpg

1002191206a.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I'm waiting to hear back. For some reason or other, I was not eligible for GAP. My credit was shot when I bought the car though. If they do total it out, was kind of looking at a 2015 kia forte with about 25K on it. I think I saw a 2016 Chevy Trax that might be nice, as my wife has been wanting an suv. If they don't cover it, I'd be trying to walk the line of getting another car and keeping the payment low enough so I could finish paying the old loan and not break the budget.

But I did get a call from my adjuster with progressive. He does not think at this point that they will consider it a total loss. However, they are taking the car a bit further apart to check for any hidden damage under the bumper etc. But from what I was told, they are about $1800 away from it being totaled. So it will depend probably how hard they hit the bumper, how and if there's any frame damage etc under there or not. What would be a shame is if they total it, because the car runs good and still drives just like before. Just needed to get it in for the canister recall though.

I should know more either tomorrow or on monday what the final verdict is about it. If I do come out having to pay it off, it may work out. The 2015 kia forte I looked at, I think according to capital one's pre qualification, I could get that for about 190 per month over 6 years for the lower payment. I figure I had until November 2021 to get the focus paid out, so if they would break the remainder into that time, that shouldn't be much more than 130 or so a month to the other company. But we'll see how it all shakes out.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, I'm waiting to hear back. For some reason or other, I was not eligible for GAP. My credit was shot when I bought the car though. If they do total it out, was kind of looking at a 2015 kia forte with about 25K on it. I think I saw a 2016 Chevy Trax that might be nice, as my wife has been wanting an suv. If they don't cover it, I'd be trying to walk the line of getting another car and keeping the payment low enough so I could finish paying the old loan and not break the budget.

But I did get a call from my adjuster with progressive. He does not think at this point that they will consider it a total loss. However, they are taking the car a bit further apart to check for any hidden damage under the bumper etc. But from what I was told, they are about $1800 away from it being totaled. So it will depend probably how hard they hit the bumper, how and if there's any frame damage etc under there or not. What would be a shame is if they total it, because the car runs good and still drives just like before. Just needed to get it in for the canister recall though.

I should know more either tomorrow or on monday what the final verdict is about it. If I do come out having to pay it off, it may work out. The 2015 kia forte I looked at, I think according to capital one's pre qualification, I could get that for about 190 per month over 6 years for the lower payment. I figure I had until November 2021 to get the focus paid out, so if they would break the remainder into that time, that shouldn't be much more than 130 or so a month to the other company. But we'll see how it all shakes out.
Brings to mind this thread. If they total it, you might inquire about the possibility of buying it back at the salvage value and getting it fixed by an independent mechanic (if you can't do it yourself). Just be aware of all of the cost and effort required for retitling which will vary by state. The resale value on a retitled car will be crap but if you know it runs good and plan on just keeping it until it's ready for the junkyard, that doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did inquire about that actually. The other insurance company said it would have been something like 1300 to buy it back. But the issue would have been that the finance company would have to be willing to continue the loan as is. Or would they want to be paid off etc.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is also why I buy the full GAP coverage that the dealer offers when I finance a vehicle. So I'm not stuck in a situation like that

Sent from my SM-N960U using FF Mobile
Same. I have gap+ to avoid the possibility of owing after a wreck even though i was never under water on my loan with this car.
Just extra insurance to have when i need it.
When my dad got his car totaled after his crash gap covered his loan even though he just got the car 2 months prior.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. As I said for some reason I wasn't eligible. But will be shopping for this on the next vehicle for sure. Thankfully at least I have the progressive +25%. So if the car is worth 6000 for example, it would give me an extra 1500 to knock it down.

At this point, them fixing it would be great. It appears they will unless there's hidden damages that they don't see from up top. But supposedly I did pre qualify for an auto loan with Capital One. My credit is still not perfect, but hopefully I at least have that in my back pocket if I need it. They seem like they've been decent so far, as I have 3 credit cards with them and have had no issues with them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
And the insurance companies wonder why there are so many injury claims for minor accidents! So some guy rear ends you. It is totally not your fault but the guys insurance company only wants to pay you the blue book value and leave you still owning money for a totaled car? My back is hurting just thinking about that crap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oh yeah. What else gets me, they couldn't have been too far off. But I kind of felt like telling them after the fact, like look, I have not asked for a rental(my wife and I now work in the same building, so we share a ride), but I also never asked for any medical. All I asked them for was to fix my car. But the other person's insurance tried to cheap out on me.

Still waiting to hear from progressive if they intend to fix it or not. Will probably know monday I'm guessing. I suppose if they don't fix it, I was looking at a 2015 Kia Forte with about 25K on it. Did the capital one pre qualification and they say I would be around 200 per month for 72 months on that for example. So maybe pick up something like that, with GAP insurance for sure, get my car focus completely paid, then maybe turn around and refinance the other car hopefully at a lower rate as my credit should start going up by then more, and refinance perhaps to a shorter term and or lower interest.

Edit *

Can't find the Forte now. Maybe gone. My wife has been wanting an SUV to sit up higher anyway, so maybe something like this Chevy Trax would do the job around 260 a month.

https://www.capitalone.com/cars/listings/2016/Chevrolet/Trax/3GNCJKSB2GL267021

I am seeing ford fiestas cheap on there, but don't many of those have issues like the focuses do?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Try a credit union out. I really don't think you want a Chevy Trax.
Sorry for your bad luck.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that is another option. My wife did open an account at a credit union. I think she mentioned checking with them as well. The good news is the capital one thing I only did under my name. She has a little better credit than I do now, so if I do go the new car route, I think if we use both of us on there, we might get a better rate.

Side note, I think she'd like a trax. Her parents have one. Our second car is a 2016 Chevy Sonic sedan. Bought it brand new and already have 82K on it. But we like that pretty well actually. You may not think it, but interior wise it's close to as big as our focus is. The layout is very smart. Her parents have a Trax, I've ridden in it, it basically looks like it may even be on a similar frame as the sonic, just lifted up a little higher with a different body. But interior, size etc, similar.

Seeing some VW's also, but not sure about those. But if they fix my car, I guess that discussion is a moot point for a couple of years until it's paid off or time for trade in.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am seeing ford fiestas cheap on there, but don't many of those have issues like the focuses do?
It is the same problematic transmission as the Focus's if you get the automatic transmission. I assume they are fine with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Side note, I think she'd like a trax. Her parents have one. Our second car is a 2016 Chevy Sonic sedan. Bought it brand new and already have 82K on it. But we like that pretty well actually. You may not think it, but interior wise it's close to as big as our focus is. The layout is very smart. Her parents have a Trax, I've ridden in it, it basically looks like it may even be on a similar frame as the sonic, just lifted up a little higher with a different body. But interior, size etc, similar. .
I was surprised how poorly design the cabin room is in the focus compared to every other car in it's class - especially leg room. A buddy of mine had a rental cruize and there was SOOO MUCH MORE leg room in there - just more room in general really. Even my buddy's Fiesta S feels like it has more room inside than the focus.

If you're looking towards CUVs like the trax, you might be able to get away with a used Mazda CX3. The Honda HRV's interior is also really nice to make up for the anemic powertrain.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I also have a Fiesta ST and a Mazda 3 hatchback the fiesta definitely has a smaller interior.
I did drive a Toyota Corolla that definitely felt bigger in the inside especially legroom, but it was dreadfully boring to drive.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool. Has anyone had experience driving hyundai or kia vehicles? We've always been domestic people. No more dodge after owning a stratus a few years ago though:)

·
Registered
969 Posts
My mom has a 2014 Hyundai sonata. Brands don't really matter anymore everything is so global.

Find out what you can buy, research it to death, test drive it and think about it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts