Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once in a great while, I fire up the car and the HVAC blower is completely INOP. All the lights on the HVAC system function fine (A/C, etc), but nothing gets blown from any vent in the car no matter what speed I have it set to, what location I tell it to come out of, or what temp the knob is at. Nothing. Then I turn off the car and immediately fire it back up, everything work fine.

While anybody is going to say take it to the dealer, I cannot duplicate this on command and it doesn't do it very often at all. And you and I both know how that will go once it's at the dealer. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and I'm just missing the thread in my search.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Once in a great while, I fire up the car and the HVAC blower is completely INOP. All the lights on the HVAC system function fine (A/C, etc), but nothing gets blown from any vent in the car no matter what speed I have it set to, what location I tell it to come out of, or what temp the knob is at. Nothing. Then I turn off the car and immediately fire it back up, everything work fine.

While anybody is going to say take it to the dealer, I cannot duplicate this on command and it doesn't do it very often at all. And you and I both know how that will go once it's at the dealer. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and I'm just missing the thread in my search.
If you do decide to head to the dealer, please let me know, along with your mileage. I'll be able to check into some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

I had this happen exactly once on my Thanksgiving trip. I had the 12V rear outlet powering some cell phone chargers and a 12V cooler through a switchable 3 way outlet, I was wondering if that was it. After the 1st stop and unplugging the 12V power distribution, a stop, and a restart all was fine. Since the incident, I always shut off the 12V outlet at stop, then waited to restart the car before restarting the 12V outlet.

I can't imagine how the 12V accessory plug would affect the fan switch/motor and I'm almost positive it was a coincidence.

It has yet to reoccur.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well I spoke too soon guys. Happened again this morning and no amount of stopping/restarting the car would fix it.
Took a video for proof. While you can't "see" the air blowing/no blowing, I figured you'd be able to hear it. Or hear a difference between speed settings, etc. Bah. You'll just have to take my word for it. It ain't blown at all in this video, despite any setting and despite the amber colored lights lighting up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h06o8icxyrgm14q/20141210_104610.mp4?dl=0

That said, when I got off work it worked perfectly all the way home. Of course.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Does the Focus have a air blower resistor in it? I had a similar problem in my last vehicle and the solution was to replace the blower resistor under the dash.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Meagan what are some of the "options" that you check into? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything just curious. :)
No worries! I check into my different resources and see what kinds of assistance I can offer. :)

...I had the 12V rear outlet powering some cell phone chargers and a 12V cooler through a switchable 3 way outlet, I was wondering if that was it. After the 1st stop and unplugging the 12V power distribution, a stop, and a restart all was fine. Since the incident, I always shut off the 12V outlet at stop, then waited to restart the car before restarting the 12V outlet.

I can't imagine how the 12V accessory plug would affect the fan switch/motor and I'm almost positive it was a coincidence.

It has yet to reoccur.
Hi TooOld,

If the concern does reoccur, I'll be happy to look into this. Just let me know.

Well I spoke too soon guys. Happened again this morning and no amount of stopping/restarting the car would fix it.
Took a video for proof. While you can't "see" the air blowing/no blowing, I figured you'd be able to hear it. Or hear a difference between speed settings, etc. Bah. You'll just have to take my word for it. It ain't blown at all in this video, despite any setting and despite the amber colored lights lighting up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h06o8icxyrgm14q/20141210_104610.mp4?dl=0

That said, when I got off work it worked perfectly all the way home. Of course.
Will you be heading to your dealer to have this looked into? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Mine did it too two days ago!
Hi amplifier28,

Have you had the chance to make an appointment with your dealer? Please let me know when you do, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a heads up, I took mine in for service. The first time I stopped in, the HVAC wasn't working....but there's was a little appointment mix up apparently and I couldn't get taken care of. Came back ~5 days later for my appointment, but the blower was working fine. I understand. It's tough to troubleshoot an intermittant problem. They decided to throw a blower motor in it just to be sure.

I mean, I'm not crazy. lol I have it on video. I definitely had a real problem. So hopefully the blower motor takes care of it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
As a heads up, I took mine in for service. The first time I stopped in, the HVAC wasn't working....but there's was a little appointment mix up apparently and I couldn't get taken care of. Came back ~5 days later for my appointment, but the blower was working fine. I understand. It's tough to troubleshoot an intermittant problem. They decided to throw a blower motor in it just to be sure.

I mean, I'm not crazy. lol I have it on video. I definitely had a real problem. So hopefully the blower motor takes care of it.
Thanks for the update! Keep me in the loop on this to see how it works out. :)

No I have not.
I recommend heading to your dealer for a diagnosis on this. Once you set up an appointment, please let me know so I can look into some additional options. If you need help finding a dealer, you can use our Dealer Locate tool - it shows you all the dealers in your ZIP.

Meagan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts