Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Its been a while since my last visit, but I recently purchased a 2013 Focus with some engine issues. The previous owner was not a car person and did not want to deal with it.

The car is throwing codes;
P0012 - Camshaft position Timing over retarded Bank 1
P0014 - Camshaft position Time over advanced Bank 1
P052A - Cold Start - Camshaft position timing over advanced Bank 1
P052B - Cold Start - Camshaft position timing over retarded Bank 1

The previous owner took it into the dealer and they wanted to breakdown the motor - he declined and sold it instead.
He brought it in after he started to smell gas, the CEL came on, the car stalled, and did not crank after that. Dealer provided a compression test and it shows 0 at 250 mean RPM.

Im sure some of you have experienced similar codes/symptoms. Looking for advice.

Please let me know what I can expect and/or where I should start with the diagnosis.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few days ago I recharged the battery, cleared the codes, and tried to restart the focus. It started, but ran very rough. My brother and I did a compression test and found only Cylinder #2 with compression (~110).
A few bulletins and posts I found pointed me in the direction of bad VCT solenoids...
When I went to change them out, I found the Intake Cam Gear broken - a few pieces were sitting loose inside the motor.
At this point I am guessing and have been told it would be best to drop a used/new engine in the Focus - it has ~55,000 miles.
I am wondering what I need to look for when hunting a motor.
The focus is a 2013 SE 2.0L 5-speed - base model with leather interior...

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
I can't say for sure but if that particular engine has aggressive enough valve timing then the cams getting out of time would likely bend valves. Probably what broke the cam gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts