Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 SE sedan brand new back in April 2013. Loved it the first 6 months, then had to deal with it being down for a month for a transmission rebuild - due to the well known auto trans problems this model has. And the endless recalls. Recently, the transmission left me all but stranded in busy downtown Orlando interstate traffic as it was slipping and banging in and out of gear like crazy. I nursed it to the dealership who replaced the control module (under recall) and sold me a new battery. The battery had not been giving me any issues but they told me there was something going on with it so I had to buy a battery I'm not convinced I even needed.

While it was in, I had them check a humming/road noise and turns out it needs a right rear wheel bearing to the tune of another $350. I schedule the appointment, and the part is supposed to be there for repairs. Lo and behold, the day before the appointment my a/c quits blowing cold.

Drop off for the appointment and they keep my car all day. I get a call in the afternoon informing me that the part had a problem/didn't come in/whatever for the wheel bearing so I'd need to reschedule AGAIN for this repair. And by the way, your a/c evaporator needs replaced... that will be $1,500 more thank you very much.

I have to say, that for just a little over 3 years old, exceptionally well maintained, garaged kept, dealer serviced 95% along the way this car isn't impressing anyone with reliability or decent repair costs. I'm not sure what to do about the repairs as I am out of warranty by miles and a bit by time but realistically, these items should easily last more than 3 years, particularly the evaporator.

Just wondering if any others have had these issues and if you had any thoughts.

Not a very happy Focus owner these days...

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
Moved to MK3 Recalls for a more appropriate section since OP is not attempting to repair said issues him/her-self.

Sorry about your troubles, everyone once in awhile we have a Ford service rep come through and help out people with troubles.

Sadly dealers and mechanics charge well dealer/mechanic prices. Wheel bearings themselves rarely cost more than $100 in my experience. Some AC parts are just ridiculously expensive because they usually never go bad. Low demand and an even lower supply = stupid expensive.

I don't personally own an mk3 but the one in the family is a 2012 mtx75 version and is nothing but reliable.

Sent from a man with a broken focus

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Not much to say about those, Dealer screw up on not checking parts on hand or assuming something would be avail. is a PITA.

Recalls for the trans issues don't exist yet unfortunately, there isn't a single (or even double) repair avail. SURE to solve them indefinitely so it's an extended warranty situation to take care of problems when they occur. Bummer. 100-150k extensions take care of most first owners, but some drive their cars a lot further.

IDK the fault at the condenser (wasn't described), but those are subject to failure at any time from a strategically tossed rock from another vehicle. Similar to windshield damage. Cars don't come with protective screens to reduce this, unless retrofitted by owners for special purpose vehicles. (std. for large trucks that run many more miles)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts