Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a 2013 Hatchback SE and wanted to start buying some performance mods. I have already started small with some exterior mods (tint and wheels) but I have some questions about some under-the-hood options.

First, I've been considering a FSWERKS catback. Good pick? Also thought about aftermarket headers but am concerned about the o2 censor problem. And then an intake manifold.

So all of this would be great but would it be overkill if the engine itself isn't upgraded first? What's the point of greater airflow if the engine doesn't need so much right?

And on a side note I'm not sure if I'm convinced that an aftermarket air intake would really make much of a difference.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
The intake helps more for sound than anything. I would look into an upgraded rear motor mount. its a cheap and simple mod that will improve the performance of the car by increasing efficiency instead of power. Not so much a speed improvement but a car feel improvement with more satisfying and direct shifts and power being sent to the wheels more efficiently. I also have a K&N typhoon intake and the FSWERKS race exhaust and I can definitely tell the car has more get up and go. Next items on my list are suspension upgrades like new sway bars and springs. Right now there isn't much we can do to these cars for straight line power, however there are enough parts available to make these cars fairly competitive for autocross. I was able to post a faster time than a 2014 boss laguna seca at FocusFest this year, though that may be partially do to the "driver mod". [driving]

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Blueoval said it pretty well. there are not a lot of speed mods. if you want to do a cheap intake mod, just get a quality drop in filter from like K&N or Green filters and do the snorkel delete. You will get pretty much the same HP gain as a full intake system for about a third the price, thats what i did. Also I have yet to do this but i have read many threads that suggest doing a tune from either injected or Tom is a really good mod as well. The rear motor mount i have read is a very noticable mod as well as the rear sway bar. Those are the things i plan on doing to mine. You can do a header and full exhaust and probably get a decent amount of HP if you are okay with the increased noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts