Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost feel ashamed to be typing this. Ford pushed back the release date for the Focus ST again. I expect that before summer of 2012, the release date will be pushed back again. It seems the only real news we get on the ST is that the release date has been pushed back again. It's become a running joke when people ask me about that car I want.

So, I started looking to other cars. And one that seems to be close to what I'd like is the Subaru WRX.

What I do know is that the WRX will be faster in a straight line. It'll also have better traction in snow. But, I also know that it's going to be worse on gas milage. My other concern is that I know and love the Focus platform so well, yet I know so little about the Subaru WRX.

So, I thought I could post on some auto forum, but then the Subie fanboys would be the first to answer. Same with any Subaru forums. So, I ask you, fellow Focus lovers, what do you think of the Subaru WRX, and would it be worth it to wait for the ST instead?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WRX.... no way will i choose any Focus over a WRX. however a 2.3L ST id think about.
Really? I thought with the torque vectoring control in the Focus Sat would actually make it handle as well if not better than the WRX. That's what really important to me, handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
the WRX is a rocket, and is good in the snow.

it has crummy interior materials, and gets very bad gas mileage. Acceleration while rolling isn't nearly as impressive as a launch from a standstill, but its still pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, 17/25 mpg, and everyone has said the interior is unimpressive. The ST should get around 35 mpg highway. I should make a pros and cons list.
If Ford had just released the ST on time, I wouldn't even be considering this right now, I'd be driving my ST.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Coming from someone who had an svt and then got a forester xt (same as wrx) I would say its a draw. The millage will definitely be better with the focus and you'll get a nicer interior for sure. My Foster has been good in the snow but you still need decent winter tires for it to shine. Handling is good but modifying always changes the playing field.

Speaking of Modding: Subaru parts can be expensive, but you can always swap in sti bits that other take off. Also you will have MANY more options if you get it tuned. There are subject tuners everywhere and you can easily and safely just run Cobb accessport maps for starters.

With that said, when the focus comes out I will definitely check it out because the gas mileage and nicer interior, etc. are appealing. I am pretty impressed with the features that are coming in fords cars. Not too shabby. I also sometimes think about the ms3. They are stupid quick.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Coming from someone who had an svt and then got a forester xt (same as wrx) I would say its a draw. The millage will definitely be better with the focus and you'll get a nicer interior for sure. My Foster has been good in the snow but you still need decent winter tires for it to shine. Handling is good but modifying always changes the playing field.

Speaking of Modding: Subaru parts can be expensive, but you can always swap in sti bits that other take off. Also you will have MANY more options if you get it tuned. There are subject tuners everywhere and you can easily and safely just run Cobb accessport maps for starters.

With that said, when the focus comes out I will definitely check it out because the gas mileage and nicer interior, etc. are appealing. I am pretty impressed with the features that are coming in fords cars. Not too shabby. I also sometimes think about the ms3. They are stupid quick.

Sent from my MB855 using FF Mobile
What he said [cheers]

I might add that working on my WRX, when I've had to work on it, has been pretty damn easy. Don't know much about the GE/GH chasis though

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been lurking for a while now. This thread finally motivated me enough to register, since this is the exact question I've been thinking for the past few months.

I've also been disappointed with the lack of info and press coverage on the ST at LA Auto Show so far. I was expecting to see pricing. But what I did find was this. BLUE!

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/11/ford-focus-st-blues-us-away-2011-la-auto-show.html

Also note that the blue one seems like a base model. No HIDs, and you can see in the windshield some metal bars on the seats that connect the headrest. I don't believe the Recaros have that headrest, so they seem like base seats (though still with blue dual tone color). This makes me realize that by the time I add the options I want, Recaros and MFT, the car will cost $30k, which does not put it at a price advantage to the WRX.

Focus ST vs WRX:

On paper, the 2011-12 WRX is extremely hard to beat. 5.0sec 0-60, AWD. That is an insane 0-60 for the price, and I'm surprised few around here mention it in comparison to an ST at the same price point. The WRX has a plain interior, but the seats are nice (not Recaro though) and the dash is clean. I was very impressed with the interior. It is not the crapshoot interior that people make it out to be (old WRX models were crap). But it has no bells and whistles and a crappy sound system.

Everyone compares the ST to the GTI, which is the main competitor. But IMO the ST beats the GTI in every category. It's faster, Ford PR and the current Focus do a good job of making me think it will be just as refined, and a nicer interior with Recaros and Sync. The GTI's plaid seats and plain center console is praised (and a plain center console of a WRX is hated?). Plain is good, but the ST features so much more, and looks great. The GTI will likely be slightly cheaper though.

I'm saying that I've left the GTI behind and I am comparing the ST to the WRX, which is insanely fast (0-60 times rival Mustang GT) and has AWD for the same price. Also the MS3, which is has an incredible price for the performance (invoice price base is $21.7k; the only option to raise this price is navigation, expect to pay $22.5k if you're not good at haggling dealers).

What the ST has is far greater fuel economy (which may save you $2k-$3k over the other cars in about 50k miles). You'll have to drive 80,000 miles before gas mileage savings bring you down to the cost of an MS3. ST has an awesome interior with sync and Recaros. ST should hopefully have a very refined driving experience. You have to value the MPGs, interior, and driving refinement of the ST to choose it over the others. Otherwise they have you beat and you can go buy one now (or get one used).

WRX - MUCH faster 0-60, AWD
- bad fuel economy, which is only $$ savings look at it practically. A couple thousand dollars over 5 years is not necessarily a deal breaker

MS3 - slightly faster 0-60, cheap as hell
- ugly, but some people may say the same thing about the Ford

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buy something you're not going to regret. Get the WRX now and regret not waiting for the ST's release? Wait for the ST and regret not getting the WRX earlier? What exactly do you want the car to do? Both platforms have they specialties. For a DD I would pick the focus, only because I have a frugality mindset (how much will I save on gas). Ask me a few years ago and I would have picked the WRX hands down because of it's performance potential. Simple bolt-ons and a tune and you're just south of 400whp.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Buy something you're not going to regret. Get the WRX now and regret not waiting for the ST's release? Wait for the ST and regret not getting the WRX earlier? What exactly do you want the car to do? Both platforms have they specialties. For a DD I would pick the focus, only because I have a frugality mindset (how much will I save on gas). Ask me a few years ago and I would have picked the WRX hands down because of it's performance potential. Simple bolt-ons and a tune and you're just south of 400whp.

Posted via FF Mobile Or you could get the wrx now, then regret not waiting for the ST AND the 2013 WRX. Yes people, there is a new WRX coming out for 2013 model year, so I suspect that it will be out around the same time if not shortly after the ST. If you have not been following Subaru lately, the new impreza is coming out soon. Its a pretty nice car, interior design and quality is night and day compared to previois generations and fuel economy has skyrocketed, 26 city, 37hwy...yes its awd too. Curb Weight is down too I believe, at an average 3000lbs for a car its size. For anyone who has shyed away from subaru because of fuel economy...this is a game changer. It starts at just under 18k, for a decent sized car with awd and 37mpg. Anyway, why am I mentioning the new Impreza? Because it is showing what subaru is doing. The wrx has been seperated from the impreza, it will be its own model in design, size, etc. word is it is going to be smaller then the new impreza. I have a feeling its going to be good, and damn good. Interior will certainly be up to todays high standards and Im sure we will see fuel economy skyrocket as well.

So, you could get a wrx now....or you could wait.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Really? I thought with the torque vectoring control in the Focus Sat would actually make it handle as well if not better than the WRX. That's what really important to me, handling.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
well im not sure on the whole torque vectoring thing. id say if you could wait then wait and test drive them both.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just so tired of waiting, and the wrx looks like a great focus alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im looking at the same cars. Part of what keeps me from the wrx and ms3 are the torque curves... Peak torque starts at 3 or 4k rpm, Ive heard they are pretty weak below that which will make daily driving less fun for me. The ST has the broad torque curve of a GTI except with more power which is very appealing to me. Also the wrx 0-60 times are gotten with a clutch drop launch - from a roll it shouldnt be much if any faster than an ST. And that poor gas mileage on premium fuel is a deal killer for me. Even the new mustang GT with 412 hp gets better mileage and can run on regular. Im looking at the refreshed gen coupe if I cant wait for the ST, 345 hp v6 RWD and probably $28k msrp in rspec trim.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I really wish Ford would at least announce pricing by now. It is frustrating

·
Registered
724 Posts
I guess i don't see where the WRX is going to have any performance advantage over the ST.

It only has 15 HP more which will easily be eaten up by the extra friction of the AWD. I would guess its going to put the same or less power to the ground and it weights more.

Don't know what the economy rating of the ST will be but the same engine in a Edge is rated 30mpg on the hiway so presumably the ST will be better, which is a huge advantage over the 19/25 of the WRX.

So IMHO the only performance advantage the WRX will have is in poor traction conditions.

Also, for 2012 there will not be a WRX only the WRX Sti which starts over $33k.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I'd wait for the focus. It's likely to have a better warranty than a WRX.

Its also likely to be cheaper insurance.

Better MPG

Better looking.

better everything.

WRX's are just weird. They're practical when you don't need them to be and they're impractical when you DO need them to be. I have a lot of friends who drive WRX's from a number of different model years and one thing I've noticed is that something is usually broken. A sensor is not working, their map is messed up, some mainstream aftermarket part doesn't fit right, etc. They're not comfortable to ride in, they don't make a very good sound, the interiors are bland and plasticky, the electronics and connectivity are pretty stale, and they're relatively expensive. They seem to get better every year, but not by much. At least now you can drive them hard without shattering the transmission.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I do want to say though that I don't believe Subarus are bad cars. I like them and all their quirky characteristics.

I just think that when they go for performance, they can't meet the same kind of reliability standard as their non-performance vehicles. I knew a guy went through two Legacy GT's because both engines blew up after about 30k miles. It was a fast car and had lots of goodies in it, but they clearly don't have the resources for R&D to build a quality volume performance car.

I know people driving non-boosted Imprezas past 200k miles but these WRX/STI guys are throwing in the towel at 50k....

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
the WRX is a rocket, and is good in the snow.

it has crummy interior materials, and gets very bad gas mileage. Acceleration while rolling isn't nearly as impressive as a launch from a standstill, but its still pretty quick.
I ran a 04-06' WRX the other day from a roll and it was a pretty easy kill... [headbang] I do know however that if you crank the boost on 'em they are alot more fun... but once you get rolling alot of power gets robbed from that AWD. Alot of drivetrain loss there... My buddy had one and let me drive it... I'll tell ya that thing would break your neck launchin outta 1st lol... once you got going it was still fast but didn't "feel" as fast as another poster mentioned.

Personally it's alot of money to spend on a Focus and it isn't coming out anytime soon and I just haven't been as big of a fan of sube to spend money on one of those either...

Honestly for that amount of money I'd find a clean terminator (o3'-04' supercharged cobra) or 11'+ Mustang 5.0 [thumb]

However once the ST does come out it's going to be a bad moFo! [strongman][cheers]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
One thing I do want to say is that I like the front end/overall body style of the new focus hatch over the proposed ST. Maybe it's just me that feels that way but a few subtle changes to the current model would make the ST look a little more "healthy anorexic" lol...

1 - 20 of 176 Posts