Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, count me among the many who was effected by the Audio Control Module issues. The more I read about it and realizing Ford knows but is unwilling to rectify it, the angrier I became...until I ran across this forum and realized what an opportunity this brought me.

My husband is 'frugal' and would never okay me buying a new radio just for funzies since I just bought my car last April. Having a radio that could easily be the cause of my death (due to ear shattering crackles at 70MPH), he and I were discussing dropping the $650 quoted to replace the module, then we saw posts indicating this might only be a temporary bandaid until it happens again.

SO, now we are talking about dumping the OEM receiver altogether and installing aftermarket. After much research, I am strongly leaning towards getting the Pioneer AVH-1300NEX for its Apple CarPlay functionality (yay Navigation is coming!) and the Metra dash kit. It is compatible with the iDataLink Maestro so I can keep the functionality of my steering wheel controls and it indicates that it keeps the SYNC functions as well.

My question is this: what exactly does the original top screen do after the upgrade? Is it nothing but time and temp? Does it have any controls left at all? Can someone enlighten me as to what is going to become of it? Any photos so I can kind of know what I am looking at seeing following the upgrade? Also, what is the purpose of the USB and AUX inputs in the center console? Do they have any functionality left?

Thanks to all those who have posted in various places here. Thanks to you, a new radio is just around the corner, and not just the stock one, but a pretty bada** system!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Soo.... I used the Maestro RR. But I had a very early version of it. It was missing a couple things that they now include (OBD connector, factory rear cam connector, etc). But in my kit, and I think the new ones too, the top 4" screen just stays unplugged. I actually left mine plugged in and just spliced into the wires I needed. This kept the screen on and showing the temp and time. But two problems: First, the clock cannot be set without the factory radio. So every time the battery is disconnected or daylight savings time happens, the clock is wrong. Second, the display freaks out a tiny bit when flipping to certain sources on the new Pioneer head unit. The Ford screen very briefly says "CD Loading", then turns back to temp&time. If I had to do it again, I'd probably just leave it unplugged.

The factory USB and AUX don't do anything unless you wire them up to your new radio. The pioneer will have USB inputs in the rear. Search the thread I wrote up about my install.

The Scosche dash kit looks better than Metra.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts