Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Focus is having radio problems. There is very loud static crackling popping. The car can be on or off, the radio is on or off. Radio functions do not work, volume does not work.

I have an appointment with the Ford dealership to do a diagnostic, next week. I don't know if I am going to keep the appointment. I really just want to start pulling plugs and fuses. I really need the noise to stop, and Ford charging me for a diagnostic, for what I already know is the problem, isn't very cool.

So, I would really appreciate help.

I know about the module upgrade TSB 13-4-14

I have decided to do the after market radio installation instead.

I have a few questions. Before I get my new system.

1. - I am wondering if I can take out the OEM head unit out now and leave nothing plugged in. ??? I should probably cover the plugs with electrical tape?

2. Which fuse is for the 2013 Ford Focus? #79 or #81 ? Does this work for people ??? ( seen conflicting reports) User manual says fuse 79 is connected to door locks as well as the radio. 81 is for radio receiver.

3. Mostly out of curiosity. How much does the TSB module update cost? (out of warranty) ( Ford helper didn't know anything) and did this help anyone?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yes, you can remove the factory radio and leave nothing in its place for now. You can throw a piece of tape over the harness if you want. There is 12V constant there (and CAN for that matter), so it wouldn't be the worst idea. EDIT: Actually, I forgot the door lock button is on that radio faceplate. I can't recall if the locks will work without that plugged in. But it won't hurt to unplug it and try. Worse comes to worse, you could just unplug the radio and leave the rest of that panel connected for now.

Not sure which fuse it is, but what's wrong with just pulling it and trying? Pull one and test everything. If it doesn't work, put it back and try the other.

I have no clue on the cost. But I'm sure you could get an acceptable aftermarket replacement for the same or less. Or put in a little more and get a nice touchscreen with every feature under the sun.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks firebirdude

Your reply was helpful. It's nice to get feedback when one doesn't know what they're doing. It's all academic to me, but I am determined to not give dealerships more money than I already have in the last two years.

You gave me good info about the faceplate. I appreciate that. The radio noise got so bad, I went ahead and removed fuse #79. The door locks were not affected. I also removed #81 for good measure. ( the radio receiver)

I should be able to get a good after market, with face plate, harness for quite a bit less than the Ford's replacement, and have better sound.

Even if the Ford stock was reasonable, I would be hesitant to risk another faulty module.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts