Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will start fine at times and then sometimes it won't start at all. The battery is fully charged and when I turn the key it does nothing. No PATS issues. I bypassed the starter relay and the starter is turning.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
In that case, if you aren't hearing the transmission cycle preparatory to a start when opening the car door, it's likely a TCM issue - particularly if you had any odd shifting recently.

Lots of info. on that in the MkIII problems section, unfortunately happens a fair amount.

For ALL of the MkIII types starting is NOT as you'd be familiar with, turning a key to 'start' just initiates an automatic start sequence instead of directly energizing the starter motor. If everything isn't in position to work, the sequence won't begin.

There are simpler possibilities, like not having the shifter located properly or not pressing the brake, I'm jumping past those assuming you'd already checked the basics. Switches/sensors to confirm those items are also in question, but less common issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks bud! I took out the relay and replaced it with the rear window defroster relay. It started after that. Not sure if that was the actual issue due to the fact that sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe that's all it was. Fingers crossed. Thanks again for the response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts