Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through a lot on the transmission issues with the Focus/Fusion line, and in the past 5 years or so I've had to get the transmission fixed 3 or 4 times. Most recently during the past year. The car is now at 120k miles and so the coverage on everything except the TCM is out.

The car started jerking and shifting funny and effectively stalling a couple weeks ago and so we scheduled an appointment with a local dealership. ( sort of, we had to call around to a lot because they kept saying they were too busy)

Today I tried to drive it and reverse is out, and it acts like its in neutral and won't shift, and so I parked it and called the dealership to see if they could move up my appointment. They told me Monday, but that it was out of warranty except for the TCM. They said it's going to be $150 for the diagnostic and then up to $2300 for the repair(Why if the TCM is covered still?).

According to this -->Ford OEM 14M02 the checking of codes and diagnosing the TCM is covered, and that even if it's not the TCM they are allotted a specific amount of covered time.

The car is in my GF's name (I wish she'd never bought it) and she still owes money on it, plus the value of the car is less than the repair I think. She has GAP, but I thought that only covered accidents. What should we do?

·
Registered
233 Posts
They're trying to tack on a clutch change aren't they? I really can't see where the TCM would damage the clutch beyond operating. My original TCM was starting to act up in my 2016 before I got another clutch replacement under 19N08/9.

Are they willing to replace only the TCM? A shuddering clutch isn't gonna stop working until it reaches the end of it's usable life.

I'd say try another dealer but it sounds like your options are burnt up.

Not sure what your long term goals are with the car. Whether to pay it off and drive it into the ground or what. I'd consider adding sport mode to that car if you could. Or get it tuned. Otherwise the clutch issue will keep annoying you.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're trying to tack on a clutch change aren't they? I really can't see where the TCM would damage the clutch beyond operating. My original TCM was starting to act up in my 2016 before I got another clutch replacement under 19N08/9.

Are they willing to replace only the TCM? A shuddering clutch isn't gonna stop working until it reaches the end of it's usable life.

I'd say try another dealer but it sounds like your options are burnt up.

Not sure what your long term goals are with the car. Whether to pay it off and drive it into the ground or what. I'd consider adding sport mode to that car if you could. Or get it tuned. Otherwise the clutch issue will keep annoying you.

Probably, i'll look at the last time they fixed it and see if they did the clutch too, but why charge me for the diagnostic? They told me it would be covered to check when i made the appointment not more than two weeks ago.

Honestly I was trying to get her to pay it off early and get rid of it. But she got looped into a 66 month crap loan when she was in college so she isn't done with it until next year.

The clutch is definitely a problem - I saw the sport mode upgrades, would that keep me from having to deal with this again?

A bunch of people over at CarGurus are saying Ford is making them pay for Actuator replacement as they aren't covered by any warranties and that is an extra cost too.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Probably, i'll look at the last time they fixed it and see if they did the clutch too, but why charge me for the diagnostic? They told me it would be covered to check when i made the appointment not more than two weeks ago.

Honestly I was trying to get her to pay it off early and get rid of it. But she got looped into a 66 month crap loan when she was in college so she isn't done with it until next year.

The clutch is definitely a problem - I saw the sport mode upgrades, would that keep me from having to deal with this again?

A bunch of people over at CarGurus are saying Ford is making them pay for Actuator replacement as they aren't covered by any warranties and that is an extra cost too.
I'd call them out on that personally. Throw the book at them and escalate the issue if you must. They say it's covered.

I get you on the crap loan. I originally financed for a 7 year loan on my 16. After 2.5 years I refinanced which cut 7-8 months off the loan and added gap for $10 more a month. The payment went up like a whole whopping $21. I've been making big principal only payments. I'm trying to have it paid off by next spring.

Also yes sport mode should theoretically solve the clutch issues but I'd also caution that it may depend on the shape of your clutches. I specifically shift at a higher RPM in 1st and 2nd gear. Watching what the car does in drive mode can give you a feel for typical shift behavior and you can modify that where you see fit. Regular sport automatic mode might help but you'd have to be more aggressive with the throttle.

A tune is a more expensive option but I did that too and have Tom's tune. Drives way better than it ever did stock. May not be perfect but it's still light years better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went and grabbed codes with Forscan.

TCM P07A5 -Transmission Friction Element B Stuck On (Present at Time)
PCM P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Prev Set - Not present at time)
PCM P0131 - 02 Sensor (prev set - not present at time)
ODBII P0128 - Coolant Thermostat - Confirmed

BdyCM B10D7:94-6c - Pats key unexpected operation - ?

When I made the appointment it was only P0131 (prev- confirmed) and p0460 and PATS key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took to Dealership #1 and they immediately asked me miles and said oh the warranty for the transmission was up at 100k. I responded that the TCM goes to 150k and the guy seemed to get pissed and said yeah if that's what it is and told the other guy that he was dealing with us. The second guy told us that his transmission guy wasn't even there so it would be sitting for a day. We asked if they had an opening for the next day.

The office girl told us we could just bring it back the next day (Weird because they were so filled up for months when we called and tried to get an appointment). When I asked if they only had one transmission guy she also had an attitude and told me that he was and that no one else could touch it.

They just seemed very unprofessional from the start, like no one wanted to deal with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Took to Dealership #1 and they immediately asked me miles and said oh the warranty for the transmission was up at 100k. I responded that the TCM goes to 150k and the guy seemed to get pissed and said yeah if that's what it is and told the other guy that he was dealing with us. The second guy told us that his transmission guy wasn't even there so it would be sitting for a day. We asked if they had an opening for the next day.

The office girl told us we could just bring it back the next day (Weird because they were so filled up for months when we called and tried to get an appointment). When I asked if they only had one transmission guy she also had an attitude and told me that he was and that no one else could touch it.

They just seemed very unprofessional from the start, like no one wanted to deal with it.
Honestly I would consider another dealer if possible if this one continues to treat you this way. My local dealer has always been very professional in handling my concerns with my Focus. They did however almost try to say 19N08/9 doesn't cover my clutch but they looked at the memo again and said oh yeah it is covered. 19N08/9 had just came out at that point.

I have no problems with my local dealer. They've done what they can do. Some dealers are good but can only do what corporate allows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So she took it back to the dealership and they wouldn't even see her. Told her they were way too busy to deal with it. I made an appointment with a dealership out of town. Hopefully it makes it there. The car has also stopped starting at times and is now showing code P287a. It makes a weird clicking noise when I open the door before starting, and if I wait for the second clicking then it will start sometimes. Video with noises

·
Registered
18 Posts
What part of the country are you in? You may just have to call around if you have multiple dealers to choose from, until you find the right one. I will relate our recent experience, just for comparison's sake.

My son has a 2015 SE HB with just over 61k miles. Clutch was replaced around 43k. He was in Tuscaloosa, AL (Roll Tide!) last weekend and Sunday night, in a drive-thru lane, when it exhibited classic TCM failure symptoms. Revving high in 1st and didn't want to shift to 2nd. When he tried Sport mode, the shift position indicator on the dash just went dark, and the shift button wouldn't respond to input. Check engine light came on. He limped it home and called me (in Atlanta.) I made some phone calls Monday morning.

The dealership ~5 miles from him, in Tuscaloosa, said their experienced transmission tech had just been diagnosed with cancer, had 3 weeks to live, and their new tech hadn't started yet. (Puts problems in perspective, I guess.) They referred me to the next town over, in Bessemer.

The Bessemer dealership said "Yeah, those guys have been sending everybody our way, we're slammed, can't even look at it for 2 weeks." She seemed very happy that I didn't scream at her on the phone and blame her personally. :) I got the sense I might have been able to move up in the queue, just for being nice about it, had I ended up going there.

BTW, son tested the car again on Monday morning and it appeared to be shifting almost normally, but check engine light was still on, and we didn't want him to drive it long distances.

Called the dealer in Atlanta who did my daughter's clutch last year (yeah, I know, we own two of these damn things!) but their transmission guy was on vacation, and would be covered up when he got back, so that was a two week wait.

Next dealer said "Yeah, bring it on in."

So I got my brother and his F350 and we drove to Tuscaloosa, loaded the Focus on a UHaul transport trailer, and hauled it back to Atlanta, dropping it at the dealer this past Tuesday.

They said it would be a $135 diagnostic fee, but if the problem "was covered under the recall" (his words) then we don't pay that. I didn't argue that point, since I knew it was the TCM.
Sure enough, they called the next morning to confirm it was the TCM. They had it fixed and ready to go by Wednesday night.

The invoice says this:
30CVZZ: AUTO TRANS CONCERN
SLIPS INTO GEAR AND DOES NOT WANT TO PULL, ALONG WITH CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON AND WILL NOT GO INTO SPORT MODE
Caused by​
7Z369 CC 42​
8/80 EMISSIONS​
Installed AE8Z 7Z369 F :MODULE - TRANMISSION CONT ELECT TRANS DIAG, CODE P090C PRESENT, HAS DELAY IN REVERSE, SOMETIMES NOT UPSHIFTING TO 2ND GEAR. PERFORM PPT B14 CHECKING PHASE CIRCUITS CONN 1750B PINS 56, 2, 1, 3 TO CONN1634 PINS 5, 6, 7, 8. MEASURE .02 OHMS, PPT B15, CHECK FOR SHORT TO GROUND CONN 1634 PINS 6, 7, 8, NO SHORT, SWAP CLUTCH MOTORS AND RN CLUTCH TEST, FAILS CLUTCH B AGAIN WITH P090C PRESENT, R AND R TCM, PROGRAM, PERFORM TRANS ADAPTIVE LEARNING PROCEDURE, CLEAR DTCS, ROAD TEST, OK.
On the starting/clicking issue - how old it your battery? My experience with Fords is they start doing funny things when the battery is on its way out.​

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Dealership says 1900 cause it's the clutch fork. They said the TCM is fine, but that they didn't test it, they just didn't get a code for it....They also are saying that my O2 sensor is out, and they want almost 300 to fix that. It stalled several times, and gave us the Transmission hot error. I can do O2 sensor for like 30 bucks, but I don't have 2 grand to drop on this car.

The first day we took it they told us that they don't just pull codes, so that's why they couldn't see it that day because their transmission guy was gone and he tests parts.
Now they're saying they didn't test anything it just threw those codes......

·
Registered
233 Posts
Actuators sadly seem to be a somewhat common issue with the 2012-2014 models. Either Ford revised the part or the newer models haven't been on the roads long enough for it to happen.

If they're referring to the ones on the outside of the trans I believe there's a way to change them yourself. The motors cost like $200 each.

EDIT: Oh you said clutch fork. Those should be inside the transmission. Unfortunately that means the special tools are needed to move the clutch packs and get to them.

Those bastards really ought to have a warranty on that shit. Ford has ruined their reputation with this trans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts