Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a 2013 Focus SE with 125k miles. Few days ago the car started doing this thing where it feels like the car lost power when I step on the gas. It'll also have a weird hesitation when gassing and the fuel mileage also dropped a good 7-10mpg. I checked codes and no new codes. Car has been relatively great so far, has new plugs, belts etc. Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's fuel related whether it's the fuel pump or fuel filter.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the exact location of the filter? I went under the car and followed the fuel lines from one end to the other and I'm pretty sure it's inside the gas tank, or atleast on top of it. Could also be inside the fuel pump itself. And also from what I can see online, the only way to get to the fuel pump is either dropping the gas tank or by cutting a hole through the floor under the back seats. Any input on this would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 SE Manual Hatch
40 Posts
yes dropping the tank is only way to get to the pump, i guess you could cut a hole but would really suck if you hit the tank.

I had the hesitation but car shut off and wouldn't start after that, all in the same day.

I don't see the fuel filter either, it could be in the pump housing as it does have a large round thing in it.

P00C6 Location of fuel pump driver module in MK3

might be worth looking into the driver module cutting fuel.

·
Registered
16,453 Posts
Is the bottom of fuel tank flat? Some have an issue with a evap valve not working, the tank then begins to collapse and sometimes fuel level gauge begins to mess up. There is a TSB for it. It can affect fuel pump delivery too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes dropping the tank is only way to get to the pump, i guess you could cut a hole but would really suck if you hit the tank.

I had the hesitation but car shut off and wouldn't start after that, all in the same day.

I don't see the fuel filter either, it could be in the pump housing as it does have a large round thing in it.

P00C6 Location of fuel pump driver module in MK3

might be worth looking into the driver module cutting fuel.
Is the bottom of fuel tank flat? Some have an issue with a evap valve not working, the tank then begins to collapse and sometimes fuel level gauge begins to mess up. There is a TSB for it. It can affect fuel pump delivery too.
Yeah the gas tank looks good.

I think it might be the gas in the car tbh. I’m gonna run it to empty and refill the tank a little with some other gas and see if anything changes before I start tearing the car apart. I went to a junk gas station in the middle of nowhere when I filled up last and that’s when the weirdness started happening. So that’s where I’m gonna start. I’ll keep this thread updated with what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have a 2013 Focus SE with 125k miles. Few days ago the car started doing this thing where it feels like the car lost power when I step on the gas. It'll also have a weird hesitation when gassing and the fuel mileage also dropped a good 7-10mpg. I checked codes and no new codes. Car has been relatively great so far, has new plugs, belts etc. Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's fuel related whether it's the fuel pump or fuel filter.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the exact location of the filter? I went under the car and followed the fuel lines from one end to the other and I'm pretty sure it's inside the gas tank, or atleast on top of it. Could also be inside the fuel pump itself. And also from what I can see online, the only way to get to the fuel pump is either dropping the gas tank or by cutting a hole through the floor under the back seats. Any input on this would be great!

Thanks!
Check your catalytic converter...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think it might be the gas in the car tbh. I’m gonna run it to empty and refill the tank a little with some other gas and see if anything changes before I start tearing the car apart.
Could be. I put crappy Walmart gas in one time, and the car hesitated when starting. Then it threw a code for an O2 sensor. I cleared that code and it came back a few weeks later. Changed the sensor and the problem went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your catalytic converter...
Haven't had one for 3/4 years.

Update:
Throughout the week of driving, the car started driving better each day. Eventually filled up at my usual spot and haven't had any problems. Mpg is also back up to the 30-34 range. I'll keep the fuel pump in mind if I have any weird issues start happening again.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts