Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1.0 Ecoboost Focus Mk3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

hoping to find some advice for my 63 plate Mk3 Zetec 1.0 ecoboost Focus. The car’s had a musty smell for a year or so, and it was being used by a family member so never realised. When I got it back I had a look under the carpets and in the boot well... car full of moisture and water. Carpet foam soaking, blue/green/black/pink mould growing under the seats and behind plastic body panels, metal roof behind headliner wet to touch and covered in water droplets.. not good. Smells awful.

so, I stripped the car out, removed the carpet and everything wet, carpet vacuumed the seats and carpets, dried it all out, used anti-mould and bleach to get all the mould, and found the weatherstripping around the doors had come off at the bottom - I assumed this was the only cause of the damp problems. I followed the service memo, cut the inner wire and reglued it on. Thought that was solve it and be end of the story.

it’s been a week and the has been very wet weather. The car was dry and smelt better, now it’s wet under the carpets and headliner again already :( and I have no idea what is causing it. It’s come back very quickly and it wet and damp everywhere throughout the car - no one obvious source or area it’s wetter than the rest. Damp and wet under the rear seats, under front seats, in the boot, behind the headliner.
I’ve checked:
1) Windscreen adhesive is fine and lot leaking around the glass
2) radio antenna doesn’t appear to be leaking (no wet patch on the headliner specifically there)
3) checked the AC evaporator drain and it’s not blocked
4) checked the side windows and seals, can’t see anything wrong there.

I can only imagine it’s an issue with the AC system letting in moisture? Or what am I missing? Has anyone else had similar issues?

Enjoy these photos...

Many thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
In the cowl area there are drains on both outer sides. You should remove the cowl covers and check for build up of leaves and debris. This may have those drains blocked and redirecting water into the interior. You did not mention if your car has a sunroof. If it does check the drains there as well. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Juicedz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey man real quick, I got my 12 Ford Focus a few months back, had a massive humidity issue(seats were always damp, mold on seatbelts, trunk liner dripping wet). On top of that… the front seats had “drip” stains, right above it would be where the windshield meets the frame, seals are good yet those stains were there. A few days with about 4 of those damp rid tub things you can get for like $5 and a thorough cleaning with antibacterial cleaner did the trick. My driver door seal is torn so maybe that explains the humidity.
A few weeks go by and the front seats have those dripping stains again…. Turns out the seal had a handful of grass blades letting water make its way in.
DampRid-ReadyKleen

·
Registered
1.0 Ecoboost Focus Mk3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the end I found it was a combination of things. The seals around the doors were loose in places so I had to cut the inner wire in them to release the tension as they contract over time, and then re-glued them with a strong superglue (you could also use an automotive adhesive). I then found one of the rear passenger quarter glass pieces had its seal missing so had that glass replaced. Then also, took off the rear bumper and found the two air flaps had lost their tight fit and had let lots of water in. I took them out, cleaned out the chamber behind them and de-fungicided/mould and Mildrew remover, then covered the edge in a thick line of bathroom silicone before putting the flaps back in. The car had been parked on an inclined drive for years so water had been running from the boot all the way forward to the drivers footwell... all in all a horrific job that required the whole interior stripping out and cleaning after it dried but the car is basically as new now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In the end I found it was a combination of things. The seals around the doors were loose in places so I had to cut the inner wire in them to release the tension as they contract over time, and then re-glued them with a strong superglue (you could also use an automotive adhesive). I then found one of the rear passenger quarter glass pieces had its seal missing so had that glass replaced. Then also, took off the rear bumper and found the two air flaps had lost their tight fit and had let lots of water in. I took them out, cleaned out the chamber behind them and de-fungicided/mould and Mildrew remover, then covered the edge in a thick line of bathroom silicone before putting the flaps back in. The car had been parked on an inclined drive for years so water had been running from the boot all the way forward to the drivers footwell... all in all a horrific job that required the whole interior stripping out and cleaning after it dried but the car is basically as new now.
Nice! I was thinking it could be the inner wheel wells since they seem to be made out of cloth and was going to sprays some rubberized paint but someone on here mentioned there’s a vinyl layer on the inside of it (body side). Glad you figured it out tho!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.