Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can or will someone give me insight on the exact location of the purge valve. I have been told its under the fuel pressure regulator but no such luck finding it. I have a 2013 focus SE. Throwing a code P0456 so I'm gonna work from there

Thanks
Robert

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
Can or will someone give me insight on the exact location of the purge valve. I have been told its under the fuel pressure regulator but no such luck finding it. I have a 2013 focus SE. Throwing a code P0456 so I'm gonna work from there

Thanks
Robert
Did you check the capless system?

I had issues with another mk3 with the capless leaking a little bit of fumes hence the PCode P0456 being displayed!

Evap system can be a bi[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]!!

Same PCode from a ST (the same engine layout except turbo and tranny)

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/9337-p0456-code-after-fuel-system-service.html

Sometimes the cap less system doesn't close all the way. Usually can stick the funnel in and out a couple times and it'll fix the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly new to these cars in general. I was directed that when filling the car you should never have it running. I admit it guilty of this but not anymore. I will check the capless system and see if it changes. Anymore advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So no such luck with that situation. Funnel in and out a few times and it doesn't seem to be making the light go out. I've tried resetting it with the neg battery terminal off for like 30 min but as soon as I turn the key the CEL doesn't go out and the code is still there. Anymore suggestions would be great.

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
So no such luck with that situation. Funnel in and out a few times and it doesn't seem to be making the light go out. I've tried resetting it with the neg battery terminal off for like 30 min but as soon as I turn the key the CEL doesn't go out and the code is still there. Anymore suggestions would be great.
You need an OBD2 reader (PC or Standalone unit) and FORSCAN to reset the MIL/CEL.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was getting fuel inlet warnings in my 2011 Fusion 2.5. I did the funnel trick several times to no avail. I did some research and discovered that the evap purge valve could cause this warning. So I bought a new purge valve and installed it. No warnings since then.

The purge valve on the Fusion is on the front of the intake manifold, easy to access and change. I imagine it is in a similar location on the Focus.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will check it out tomorrow but so far I haven't found it. I hate not knowing were things are but I'm learning.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here's a pic of it - it's the thing with the colored stripe and the electrical connector on it. It's between the battery box and the fuel pump. I had mine replaced under warranty about five months ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank u for that picture. I have access to a 2014 focus so I'm gonna swap them out and reset the ecu. I appreciate it. Even though mine is a 2013 I have the extended warrantee but its a $100 deduct.

·
Registered
969 Posts
What does this actually do? Mine was bad and making an intermittent ticking noise audible in the cabin. Out of the 36 mos. warranty and cost a few hundred to diagnose and fix.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here's a good picture of the whole assembly from an Amazon page selling a replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M37PYXQ/

I just ordered one. My car is out of warranty, and replacement doesn't look too complicated once you remove the hose that connect the air filter box to the intake manifold. Not worth it to me to pay the dealer $300 to install a $40 part.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I wish I would have done this...

·
Registered
115 Posts
For those wondering if this is a do-it-yourself repair: I just successfully replaced mine. It took a little while to figure out how everything fit together, but once I knew how it worked, it only took about 10 minutes to remove the bad part and replace it with the new one. Only tool necessary was a flathead screwdriver.

1) I bought the replacement part from a Ford dealer in California via Amazon. I bought from them in part because there's a photo on the Amazon page that helped me confirm I was buying the right thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M37PYXQ/

2) Both old and new assemblies are labeled with this part number: BV61-9D289-FH

3) The Amazon page and the receipt have this as the part number: BV6Z-9D289-B

4) The instructions in the shop manual (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/4858366-post21.html) were very helpful. Instructions are on this page of the manual: Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve (Removal and Installation, Evaporative Emissions - 2.0L Duratec-HE (125kW/170PS) - MI4)

5) Be sure to follow the link in the shop manual instructions for how the Quick Release Coupling works. That helped a lot.

6) Also, instructions recommend disconnecting the Air Cleaner Outlet Pipe (the bellows between the air cleaner box and the intake manifold). I only disconnected on the air cleaner end and pushed it out of the way, which as sufficient.

I now have no ticking noise. No check engine light, either. So I don't seem to have effed anything up.

The bad part was made in Mexico. The replacement part was made in Germany (and has a Bosch logo on it in addition to FoMoCo). I'm hoping that means they changed suppliers and that the new part won't fail like the old one did.

My car is a '13 SE with a manual transmission. YMMV.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just ordered mine for the 2013 SE. In my case it's ticking loudly and I think it is causing a rough idle too.

To be clear, this doesn't make the ticking nose go away. There will still be a fair amount of ticking due to the DI right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
To be clear, this doesn't make the ticking nose go away. There will still be a fair amount of ticking due to the DI right?
This will eliminate the loud, annoying ticking noise you can hear from inside the passenger cabin. Unless you have another issue, it should fix the idle, too (I was only just starting to get a rough idle, and there's no trace of that since).

Like any car with a DI engine, from outside the car you'll hear a softer diesel-like ticking. But at least in my case, that sound doesn't intrude into the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so the valve under my hood when plugged in has full vacuum at all times and when its unplugged has zero. would that be the purge valve or the solenoid on the canister? i gotta buy one just dont want to buy both

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
I'm trying to figure out your question, are you referring to the valve pictured in post #14? (amazon link)

Vacuum where? Plugged in how? Gotta buy "one" why?

Gotta ask the silly questions as your post just doesn't seem to answer them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
so the valve under my hood when plugged in has full vacuum at all times and when its unplugged has zero. would that be the purge valve or the solenoid on the canister? i gotta buy one just dont want to buy both
Your problem is more than likely the purge valve: it is a common failure on Ford vehicles, and not just on the Focus. I had a purge valve fail on my 2011 Escape as well as the one on my 2013 Focus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My purge valve under hood if it is unplugged it closes and has zero vacuum but once plugged in it opens up all the way then I have full vacuum. Coming out of the tank side.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts