Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This review is long overdue but I wanted to put some miles on the tune to see if I had any problems down the line. This was my first time adding a tune to any of my vehicles. Always read about them but never knew how much they could actually do. My main reason for tuning was because of the known DCT issues and if I could squeeze some performance and efficiency in there. Why not? After reading around the forum and doing a bit of research I decided to go with Tom's Tune. Handed over my money and within a week had the flasher in my hands. Do not update the flasher although it says so on the box or you might have some issues. After getting the necessary information I contacted Tom and he promptly responded with the base tune. Once loaded I noticed an instant change in the way the car drove. I was excited to see what else he could do with the car. After a few back and forths sending him logs for him to dial in the tune he had turned my car into a completely different beast. Now all I need to do is start modding with performance parts to get even more out of it. With free updates once I start doing this how can I complain. All in all this has been a great experience. Tom is a great guy that offers a great product for our cars. If you are considering adding a tune to your car definitely look into Tom's you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am gaining interest in a tune for my 2013 SE with DCT.
I joined FF this past weekend with the goal of gathering information relating to the horrible transmission in my car. It appears that I may gain a bit of relief from my trans issues with a tune.
Can you elaborate a little more about how your trans behaved before the tune, and how that has changed after the tune?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am gaining interest in a tune for my 2013 SE with DCT.
I joined FF this past weekend with the goal of gathering information relating to the horrible transmission in my car. It appears that I may gain a bit of relief from my trans issues with a tune.
Can you elaborate a little more about how your trans behaved before the tune, and how that has changed after the tune?
Mostly some shuddering at launch as well as when going through the lower gears. I took it in for warranty once and it solved the problem but a few months later the issues came back. I decided to give Tom's tune a try because of all the positive feedback and I'm glad I did. It was resolved instantly and I've been on the tune for about 7 months. I have had some slight shuddering after long road trips but not even close to what I had before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is it like passing on the freeway? I don't really have shudder in my transmission (in the 2014 Titanium), but I notice that on the freeway, when I try to pass people driving 55 in the fast lane (I'm in California, we all know the speed limit is at least 75), the transmission will downshift, hang there for a second, the realize I'm trying to accelerate then actually start moving. I've read a lot of good things about the SCT tune from Tom, but how does it react to throttle stabs? Is it a night and day difference? or is it just slightly better than stock?

·
Registered
173 Posts
After reading testimonials from several people that have achieved improved DCT behavior with Tom's tune, I placed my order for his tune last night.
I am extremely hopeful that I may like my car again after the tune.

Thank you for posting your results!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What is it like passing on the freeway? I don't really have shudder in my transmission (in the 2014 Titanium), but I notice that on the freeway, when I try to pass people driving 55 in the fast lane (I'm in California, we all know the speed limit is at least 75), the transmission will downshift, hang there for a second, the realize I'm trying to accelerate then actually start moving. I've read a lot of good things about the SCT tune from Tom, but how does it react to throttle stabs? Is it a night and day difference? or is it just slightly better than stock?
As far as I know that isn't a transmission issue, Ford uses an electronic throttle controller which cause the lag. After the tune I didn't notice much of an improvement over stock. Having said that, I know Tom aims for a balanced tune by default. There is probably a parameter in there that he can adjust to provide better performance as far as that goes. But since I never found that to be an issue I haven't asked him about it. I'll let him chime in on this when he sees it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I very badly want to get Tom's tune but my finances are at rock bottom right now as I'm between jobs.

I'm also about half way done tinting my 16 SE, and because it's ceramic tint it was $220 for just the back windows and windshield.

Anywho, I got the car last May and had the clutch and TCM replaced in July. Think that was 10k ago, I'm putting a lot of miles on. Think I'm at 12kish in 10 months.

I'm in Ohio and because it's cold I can't really tell if any of the shudder has come back. If it's there, I can't feel it. The hope is I will get to it late summer maybe after the tint is done.

Right near 60k, as it was a rental. Had about 45-47 when I got it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,365 Posts
Can my Tune void your warranty YES , will it ? More then likely not , in the 18 years Tuning the Focus there has never been one time Ford voided the warranty because of a tune loaded to there Focus

Dont advertise it , dont go into Ford and tell them you have a Tune
Dont put the SCT sticker on your Focus
Dont go to the dealer with your Tune loaded
Dont leave the flasher in the Focus when you go to Ford

Just simple common sense things and your warranty will be fine

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger on this. I too have never done a tune on any of my vehicles, but this stupid Focus is just too much fun to play with. I'm probably going to do the throttle body first and see how that goes. Maybe Tom will do an early summer sale with a price so low that I can't resist anymore..... Hint Hint....

·
FF Affiliate
30,365 Posts
I sell the SCT XCAL4 , Full Custom Tune , Free unlimited NA Tune updates , datalogging , US shipped for 462.00 and this covers a Custom Tune for the Engine and DCT

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well my wife was totally on board finally and then I had a major set back. I will include a picture it will explain all. It has been nice being a part of this forum and I am looking into getting another focus. I think I will be getting an ST this time around. I must say I really loved my Ruby. She will be missed. Thanks for everything guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well my wife was totally on board finally and then I had a major set back. I will include a picture it will explain all. It has been nice being a part of this forum and I am looking into getting another focus. I think I will be getting an ST this time around. I must say I really loved my Ruby. She will be missed. Thanks for everything guys.
Dude! Glad your ok!

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Sucks but if a manual is an option I see tons of STs going to low prices..just try to not get really high mileage....get a compresion test across all cylinders thrown in or pay for it if serious about the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sucks but if a manual is an option I see tons of STs going to low prices..just try to not get really high mileage....get a compresion test across all cylinders thrown in or pay for it if
serious about the car.
Well I got a 2018 for a good price. So it was low milage it is a fun car and I did miss having a manual my wife learns quick too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My tune by Tom is great also! Whenever i switch back to the stock ecu set up, i get a lot of pops and crackles tho, with my muffler delete of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts