Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I know this topic has been beat to death but this specific question might not have been asked. I am looking at buying a 2013 Focus SE with automatic (automated dual clutch) transmission. I was about to go test drive the car, have a mechanic look at it, and if everything checked out, buy the car today. But then I read the reviews of the goofy sounds the transmission makes. I understand this is a 'normal' sound for this style of automatic transmission.

My questions are:
- Does every automatic transition 2013 Focus off the production line make this noise?
- If the sound is not being heard at this point in the car's life, is it likely to develop in the future? This particular car has 34,700 miles on it.

The car is an hour away and it's currently snowing here, so I'm trying to save myself the drive if unnecessary.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII section.

Don't even know what "goofy sound" you're referring to, some oddities like the shifting noises made when you open the door & it gets ready to start are going to happen with ALL as it's a normal part of operation.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
My questions are:
- Does every automatic transition 2013 Focus off the production line make this noise?
- If the sound is not being heard at this point in the car's life, is it likely to develop in the future? This particular car has 34,700 miles on it.
Your questions are impossible to answer with any statistical accuracy. All you'll see here are individual experiences, both good and bad. My '12 Focus rarely made any noise but it did have intermittent shuddering and vibration issues. My '14 Focus occaisionally makes the typical clicking sounds (you can hear the sounds bouncing off nearby objects) but operates smoothly. Just insist on taking the one you're looking at on a long test drive in a city or suburban environment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for moving the post - sorry for originally posting in wrong forum!

Sorry for not being more precise. I'm not referring to the sounds heard when opening the door. I'm referring to the 'grinding' sounds heard during shifting during acceleration. One person described it as sounding like a bag of bolts clanking around under the car during shifting. Apparently Ford is saying this is normal. I have read about this in reviews on Edmunds, heard it documented in youtube videos, as well as on FocusFanatics:

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/focus/2...le=200421423&sub=&reviewId=368042124715122688

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9TB-13GUik
(heard best at 12 seconds and 30 seconds)

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299947
(first two replies to original post mention the shuddering/clatter)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hello - I know this topic has been beat to death but this specific question might not have been asked. I am looking at buying a 2013 Focus SE with automatic (automated dual clutch) transmission. I was about to go test drive the car, have a mechanic look at it, and if everything checked out, buy the car today. But then I read the reviews of the goofy sounds the transmission makes. I understand this is a 'normal' sound for this style of automatic transmission.

My questions are:

The car is an hour away and it's currently snowing here, so I'm trying to save myself the drive if unnecessary.

Thanks!!
My first word of advice is don't buy the car today. Unless you walk in there with a set price in mind and are willing to walk out if they can't meet your expectations; buying the same day as a test drive is never a great idea. The ball's in the dealer's court if you're willing to open your wallet after driving an hour through the snow.

Drive an hour through the snow twice and remind them of the difficulties of your travel. Make them pay a little bit for being their customer. (It also gives you time to think about how the car drove and anything you may not have liked about it rather than buying it and discovering there was something you didn't like)

This ties into my next point:

While it's near impossible to try and figure out the number of Foci that are experiencing problems and to what extent the problems occur, it's reasonable to expect that there will be a few bugs in that particular car (this applies to all used cars). Read up on how the transmission problems manifest themselves and when you test drive, try and replicate the problems. By being able to understand the problems that could occur, you lower the bar a bit for the car because you can pick and choose which problems you feel could lead to greater trouble down the road.

Once you have a good feel for how everything handles and drives (don't be afraid to abuse it), discuss with the dealer any service it's had in the past. Have them pull the Ford service records. If the clutch packs have been replaced twice, note that and consider how comfortable you are with its history.

Then, go home and decide for yourself whether you like the car. Maybe it grinds a little on upshift but otherwise drives smoothly. Bottom line is you have to get a feel for it and weigh the risks and the rewards.

It seems like it's going to be a fleet car, too. If you have access to the VIN, look it up on Ford ETIS. Rental cars especially are actually well maintained and can be better than a former lease.

I can tell you it's going to be a good car, and someone else can tell you to turn and run, but you won't know if you'll be comfortable with it until you try it out for yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply chemist. Great point to ask about past service records. You are correct, the CarFax returned this was a rental car (but buying a fleet car is another topic for another thread). Ford ETIS said 'Your vehicle is not registered on the Ford Repair Status tracking system.'

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Put it this way. You're DCT will always shift and sound like shit. I've been through 3 mk3 focus's and only the first one I bought had a proper working DCT. The last one and this one shifts like crap. I would be seriously interested in putting a 6 speed ST manual transmission in it

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Put it this way. You're DCT will always shift and sound like shit.
Don't make gross generalities like that. I would not characterize either of my DCTs in that way after the 32,000+ miles I drove them. Many posters on here say they've had no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Don't make gross generalities like that. I would not characterize either of my DCTs in that way after the 32,000+ miles I drove them. Many posters on here say they've had no problems whatsoever.
Ditto.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My DCT is usually butter smooth and shifts quietly. I have a little slippage now and then but it seldom causes any shaking or noise. My lifetime average at 36K miles is 38.5mpg so it can't be slipping that much or the mileage would not be so good.

There are some here and elsewhere that hate the DCT and some of them simply refuse to accept that many others are very happy. That's how it goes.

Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't hear anything odd with the transmission from test drive. Handling in snow is average for FWD. In a couple instances I did hear some ticking/knocking after driving while idling that went away after a minute or two. I'm currently at a mechanic for pre-purchase inspection. Two minutes after I sat down a girl walked into the mechanic shop and asked if the black focus hatchback is in their shop and if it was for sale! She saw me drive past. I spoke up and said I was looking at buying it. Took her number to let her know if I don't end up buying.

I read that people were frustrated that the car does not inch forward when foot is off pedals, but that a software update for the transmission from Ford fixed this but was not publicized by Ford for whatever reason. They were only deploying to disgruntled drivers. This car seems to have had the update.

·
Registered
952 Posts
As far as DCT's making funky noises my view is this. I work at a world famous race track during the nice weather and many a rich fella bring their Ferrari, their Porsche and all that up for a boot around the track. Working in the pitlane I get these guys going by me at reduced speeds and some of them I hear the exact same grinding/clunking that my 6spDCT makes. I've asked the gearheads there repeatedly if that's normal and they always assure me everything is fine and that some DCT just sound that way. It ain't broken, necessarily, just because it's making noise. ;) Good luck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Didn't hear anything odd with the transmission from test drive. Handling in snow is average for FWD. In a couple instances I did hear some ticking/knocking after driving while idling that went away after a minute or two. I'm currently at a mechanic for pre-purchase inspection. Two minutes after I sat down a girl walked into the mechanic shop and asked if the black focus hatchback is in their shop and if it was for sale! She saw me drive past. I spoke up and said I was looking at buying it. Took her number to let her know if I don't end up buying.

I read that people were frustrated that the car does not inch forward when foot is off pedals, but that a software update for the transmission from Ford fixed this but was not publicized by Ford for whatever reason. They were only deploying to disgruntled drivers. This car seems to have had the update.
Good to hear!

An a proper set of winters will fix the grip issue. Others will disagree but I found the ProContacts to be absolutely terrible in the snow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well if it makes any difference, I was told by the my Ford's service department that Ford put an automatic 100k warranty on the transmission *because* of all the complaints with the dual clutch design.

The biggest problem I ran into with my 2014 SE (with only 100 miles mind you) was shuddering of the transmission from a stop while slowly accelerating; i don't drive with a heavy foot. Also, there seems to be some threshold between "acceptable shuddering" and warranty repair

Now, to explain the shuddering. Imagine someone learning to drive stick, got enough momentum to pop the clutch but doesn't gas it enough -only on a smaller scale- however the car has (two times) nearly died when crawling through a turn like "popping the clutch" too soon --jerk jerk jerk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts