Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of 9/03/14 The service department just installed a third clutch assembly on this car. Yep. This vehicles has less than 16000 miles on it and is on it's third clutch assembly.

Interesting to note that Ford has still stopped short of a recall on this vehicle. They extended the warranty and acknowledged the seals leak but simply maintain they'll fix it should you have a problem. That's of course after you jump through every hoop and it malfunctions for them at the lot.

I had originally hoped to purchase this vehicle at the end of my lease so I elected a lease option; who in their right mind would ever buy a vehicle with this history? Now, we just wait for the lease to be over and hope the car doesn't cause an accident in the mean time. It shutters and stammers so violently at times it's left us stalling in the middle of intersections on numerous occasions... Just a nightmare.

My local service center says they're on their 3rd version of replacement seals for this vehicle and there seems to be a general vote of 'no confidence' at this point. This is the most horrible vehicle I've ever been forced to endure. The worst purchase I've ever made and I'm stuck with it. Seriously considering legal action at this point.

I've gone round and round with Ford for over year and find myself in a vehicle with it's third clutch assembly. Nothing but lip service from corporate. This vehicle has never operated properly, from the first week I owned it. I was forced to make countless trips to the lot to even get them to acknowledge the original problem. Frustrated beyond words. It's interesting to note that through the first assembly replacement, I was repeatedly told everything I was complaining about was normal. That is until the car actually broke down on the lot with the service tech....2 weeks ago I get an update from Ford saying if I experience any of the following issues to take it in for a check-up. How ironic, they listed everything I've been barking about for a year!

Do your homework if you're considering buying one of these vehicles! I wouldn't doubt it one bit if you don't see a class action suit over these cars before it's all said and done.

To be clear. This is the dual shift (automatic/manual transmission)

The absolute worst automotive experience my wife and I have ever been though and we've paid off more than a few vehicles over the years. I asked the service mgr at the lot if there was actually a point where Ford would acknowledge that a customer has been through enough with a new vehicle...his answer. NO. They'll simply keep repairing the same issue. I mentioned in our state that if a problem can't be corrected in 3 attempts that the state considers it a legal lemon....he suggested I speak with corporate, yet again.

Groundhog Day, indeed.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to MkIII TSB, Recall & Problems section.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I suggest trading it in on a Kia Forte or Mazda 3.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I encourage all who are experiencing DCT transmission issues to contact the FTC at 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357) and file a consumer fraud complaint for deceptive business practices.

How Ford advertises the PowerShift 6-Speed Automatic to Consumers:
http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/features/#page=Feature3

"Part of what makes Focus so fun to drive is its fully engaging available PowerShift automatic six-speed transmission. It delivers seamless gear changes and excellent responsiveness. Certain models also include available SelectShift, which lets you change gears at the touch of a button."

Smooth and continuous, with no apparent gaps or spaces between one part and the next - Oxford dictionary

While auto manufacturers are allowed a certain degree of puffery when advertising a product, Ford has made a very definitive performance claim for the PowerShift 6-speed automatic. I have been told by Ford Motor Co, and by service technicians, the vehicle will never deliver seamless shifts, as was advertised prior to the sale of the vehicle. The deception has been exacerbated by dealers telling customers "it'll get better" as the vehicle learns driving habits. If the Power-shift DCT cannot deliver "seamless" gear changes, Ford has engaged in deceptive business practices. Ford has even made videos and issued statements contrary to the claim of "seamless" gear changes. It is incumbent on Ford to remove such claims that would, presumably, mislead consumers. For Ford to suggest shuddering, slippage, grinding noises, jerking, hesitation, etc... as normal, after the customer experiences concerns, suggests they have intentionally defrauded their customers.

Since July 1, 2014, my servicing dealership has performed TSB 14-0047 on three (3) occasions, all of which failed testing within a week or two. On August 11th, the vehicle returned to the dealer for testing due to ongoing issues after the third clutch replacement. The dealer, again, determined the clutch needed to be replaced along with a shift motor. The vehicle has under 10,000 miles on it; the first clutch was replaced at 9,160, second clutch at 9,430, third clutch at 9,670, and the fourth clutch at 9,910. The latest repair was completed on August 15th, however, the new clutch failed testing and the shuddering issue was not resolved, the dealer kept the vehicle and advised an engineer was being dispatched. The vehicle remains at the dealership awaiting additional parts to re-repair the replacement performed on August 15th. The latest repair was completed yesterday, September 3rd, per suggestion of a technician that was dispatched by Ford. After the repair, the vehicle failed tests again and I have been advised they are contacting an engineer again. Mind you this is the 4th clutch in this vehicle, which currently has less than 10,000 miles on it. Had the vehicle passed tests after the repair, if the vehicle does not shift "seamlessly" I will return it to the service department with the Ford advertisement and ask that it be repaired until it does provide seamless shifts.

I have started the BBB lemon law process, as the vehicle has met the statutory requirements for lemon law in my state. As such, the Ford CSR have stated they can no longer discuss the repairs, or lack thereof, any further due to the pending legal action. Ironically, the service manager at the dealer continues to attribute delays in repairs and diagnostics to Ford Motor Co, and advises to contact the CSR for additional information.

While this does not remedy the ongoing issues many of you are experiencing, filing a federal complaint can only help hold Ford accountable. There needs to be major class action litigation over the deceptive business practices by Ford Motor Co.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I encourage all who are experiencing DCT transmission issues to contact the FTC at 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357) and file a consumer fraud complaint for deceptive business practices.

How Ford advertises the PowerShift 6-Speed Automatic to Consumers:
http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/features/#page=Feature3

"Part of what makes Focus so fun to drive is its fully engaging available PowerShift automatic six-speed transmission. It delivers seamless gear changes and excellent responsiveness. Certain models also include available SelectShift, which lets you change gears at the touch of a button."

Smooth and continuous, with no apparent gaps or spaces between one part and the next - Oxford dictionary

While auto manufacturers are allowed a certain degree of puffery when advertising a product, Ford has made a very definitive performance claim for the PowerShift 6-speed automatic. I have been told by Ford Motor Co, and by service technicians, the vehicle will never deliver seamless shifts, as was advertised prior to the sale of the vehicle. The deception has been exacerbated by dealers telling customers "it'll get better" as the vehicle learns driving habits. If the Power-shift DCT cannot deliver "seamless" gear changes, Ford has engaged in deceptive business practices. Ford has even made videos and issued statements contrary to the claim of "seamless" gear changes. It is incumbent on Ford to remove such claims that would, presumably, mislead consumers. For Ford to suggest shuddering, slippage, grinding noises, jerking, hesitation, etc... as normal, after the customer experiences concerns, suggests they have intentionally defrauded their customers.

Since July 1, 2014, my servicing dealership has performed TSB 14-0047 on three (3) occasions, all of which failed testing within a week or two. On August 11th, the vehicle returned to the dealer for testing due to ongoing issues after the third clutch replacement. The dealer, again, determined the clutch needed to be replaced along with a shift motor. The vehicle has under 10,000 miles on it; the first clutch was replaced at 9,160, second clutch at 9,430, third clutch at 9,670, and the fourth clutch at 9,910. The latest repair was completed on August 15th, however, the new clutch failed testing and the shuddering issue was not resolved, the dealer kept the vehicle and advised an engineer was being dispatched. The vehicle remains at the dealership awaiting additional parts to re-repair the replacement performed on August 15th. The latest repair was completed yesterday, September 3rd, per suggestion of a technician that was dispatched by Ford. After the repair, the vehicle failed tests again and I have been advised they are contacting an engineer again. Mind you this is the 4th clutch in this vehicle, which currently has less than 10,000 miles on it. Had the vehicle passed tests after the repair, if the vehicle does not shift "seamlessly" I will return it to the service department with the Ford advertisement and ask that it be repaired until it does provide seamless shifts.

I have started the BBB lemon law process, as the vehicle has met the statutory requirements for lemon law in my state. As such, the Ford CSR have stated they can no longer discuss the repairs, or lack thereof, any further due to the pending legal action. Ironically, the service manager at the dealer continues to attribute delays in repairs and diagnostics to Ford Motor Co, and advises to contact the CSR for additional information.

While this does not remedy the ongoing issues many of you are experiencing, filing a federal complaint can only help hold Ford accountable. There needs to be major class action litigation over the deceptive business practices by Ford Motor Co.
Mine shifts reasonably "seamlessly." Good luck getting Ford, Getrag, and LuK to ascribe to your definition of "seamless." And good luck suing Ford on what you feel is "seamless."

I believe there are quite a few class action suits already against Ford for the DCT. Heck, we may all benefit in 8 years. I'm looking forward to my $13.47 check from the class action settlement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine shifts reasonably "seamlessly." Good luck getting Ford, Getrag, and LuK to ascribe to your definition of "seamless." And good luck suing Ford on what you feel is "seamless."

I believe there are quite a few class action suits already against Ford for the DCT. Heck, we may all benefit in 8 years. I'm looking forward to my $13.47 check from the class action settlement.
It's not my definition, it's that of a dictionary. They don't have to live up to any of my standards or definitions, but if they sell products to consumers, they are bound by consumer protection laws both federally and on the state level. Fortunately, I have met the state statutory requirements for lemon law and am currently in the buy back process.

Godspeed on your endless transmission problems [wrenchin]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It's not my definition, it's that of a dictionary. They don't have to live up to any of my standards or definitions, but if they sell products to consumers, they are bound by consumer protection laws both federally and on the state level. Fortunately, I have met the state statutory requirements for lemon law and am currently in the buy back process.

Godspeed on your endless transmission problems [wrenchin]
Does lemon law buyback give you the full purchase price, or is the price reduced by mileage?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does lemon law buyback give you the full purchase price, or is the price reduced by mileage?
It's a percentage of the original purchase price based on the mileage of the vehicle when the problem was first reported. Based on my initial mileage at intake, I would receive 91% of the vehicle value back. After the lemon law process is complete, I intend to recover the remaining 9% through a litigation brought under 815 ILCS 505, The Illinois Consumer Fraud Protection Act. I have asked BBB Auto line to consider the deceptive advertising as part of the buy back process as they also investigate claims under the same statute.

As I said in my previous post, my vehicle has been at the dealership since August 11th, for it's 4th clutch replacement. The repair was completed on August 15th, however, after conducting tests, the vehicle failed to meet performance standards. Ford dispatched an engineer, who arrived 4 business days later, the engineer made his suggestions and advised for the replacement of additional parts. New parts arrived, and were installed, yesterday, however, the vehicle failed tests again. I have been advised that an engineer is being dispatched to make further suggestions.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It's a percentage of the original purchase price based on the mileage of the vehicle when the problem was first reported. Based on my initial mileage at intake, I would receive 91% of the vehicle value back. After the lemon law process is complete, I intend to recover the remaining 9% through a litigation brought under 815 ILCS 505, The Illinois Consumer Fraud Protection Act. I have asked BBB Auto line to consider the deceptive advertising as part of the buy back process as they also investigate claims under the same statute.

As I said in my previous post, my vehicle has been at the dealership since August 11th, for it's 4th clutch replacement. The repair was completed on August 15th, however, after conducting tests, the vehicle failed to meet performance standards. Ford dispatched an engineer, who arrived 4 business days later, the engineer made his suggestions and advised for the replacement of additional parts. New parts arrived, and were installed, yesterday, however, the vehicle failed tests again. I have been advised that an engineer is being dispatched to make further suggestions.
Did you notice the lack of "seamless" shifting when you test drove the vehicle?

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
You guys know what to do...................make them pay with your next car purchase............of another brand. And speak your mind every time someone brings up the subject. May not seem like it but there is justice if you push it hard enough.

Ford has moved into semi-scam territory of late it appears to me..............and they need to pay for it since they do not seem to consider it to be a problem. This is NOT your father's automoblie..............

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You guys know what to do...................make them pay with your next car purchase............of another brand. And speak your mind every time someone brings up the subject. May not seem like it but there is justice if you push it hard enough.

Ford has moved into semi-scam territory of late it appears to me..............and they need to pay for it since they do not seem to consider it to be a problem. This is NOT your father's automoblie..............
Hilarious. Let's go loot Ford dealers. Burn them to the ground. That'll teach Ford to build a PoS like the Focus has been for 14+ years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you notice the lack of "seamless" shifting when you test drove the vehicle?
I never test drove the vehicle. The dealer did a dealer trade to get the sport package vehicle and the paper work was signed prior to the vehicle arriving at my dealership.

In any regard, you make a moot point. Yes or No? Does Ford advertise this transmission as "Part of what makes Focus so fun to drive is its fully engaging available PowerShift automatic six-speed transmission. It delivers seamless gear changes and excellent responsiveness" and if you need an answer key, the correct answer is yes! I am not the one who came up with this idea of seamless, its origin is the Ford website, where, as a consumer, I read about the vehicle, built and priced the vehicle, before going to a dealer and buying the vehicle.

-http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/features/#page=Feature3

This 2014 Focus is used as a commuter vehicle, as the plan was to get better gas mileage and keep miles off of my Lexus. Funny thing is, I never test drove my Lexus before I signed paperwork either, however, if shifts and performs just fine.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I never test drove the vehicle. The dealer did a dealer trade to get the sport package vehicle and the paper work was signed prior to the vehicle arriving at my dealership.

In any regard, you make a moot point. Yes or No? Does Ford advertise this transmission as "Part of what makes Focus so fun to drive is its fully engaging available PowerShift automatic six-speed transmission. It delivers seamless gear changes and excellent responsiveness" and if you need an answer key, the correct answer is yes! I am not the one who came up with this idea of seamless, its origin is the Ford website, where, as a consumer, I read about the vehicle, built and priced the vehicle, before going to a dealer and buying the vehicle.

-http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/features/#page=Feature3

This 2014 Focus is used as a commuter vehicle, as the plan was to get better gas mileage and keep miles off of my Lexus. Funny thing is, I never test drove my Lexus before I signed paperwork either, however, if shifts and performs just fine.
Sounds like you were wanting a CVT, not a transmission that has distinct gears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like you were wanting a CVT, not a transmission that has distinct gears.
No, I don't want a CVT. I want the transmission Ford advertises on their website. The power shift 6 speed automatic, you know, the one they say delivers "seamless gear changes." Thats the transmission option I paid for!

Actually, it sounds like Ford was selling a CVT, not a transmission that has distinct gears.

I don't know what you are not understanding here. I never said the transmission was going to deliver seamless gear changes, Ford did! I didn't even come up with the idea of seamless gear changes, Ford did. The word seamless comes from the Ford website. As a consumer I simply want the product I was promised and the product I paid for.

If Ford knew it would never shift seamlessly, why did they, and why do they continue to advertise it as such? Let me make it easier for you, since you are missing the context of deceptive advertising.

I'm an appliance manufacturer and I sell washing machines. On my website you notice a model that says its highest spin cycle produces 4db of sound. You buy the washing machine, get it home, install it, upon using the machine you notice some noise during the spin cycle. You call my company and I tell you that noise is common during the break in period, it'll go away. You continue to use the washing machine for 4 months and notice the noise has not gone away and, in fact, the machine makes 9db of noise when measured. You call me again and raise your concern, I send a repair technician out, he replaces the motor and sound dampening material. Upon next use, you notice the noise has not gone away. This time when you call me, I tell you, well you see, this is a new hybrid motor in this machine, and its not really what you're used to oh and it will never meet that 4db standard.... have a nice day. While this is simply an analogy, perhaps it will help you understand the importance of not misleading your customers.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I can't guess how the "lemon law" proceedings have affected the course of repair in this case.

I CAN say it's the first one I've seen with this much repair history (repeated basic repair without further diagnosis, then further diagnosis & attempted repair) at the Dealer level without a replacement unit being used.

Cynical thought would be that as long as it's a "lemon" case, it's being used as a field experiment to see what's really needed to get this one right - learning more that way than if it was just yanked & examined without repair & retest.

Yes IMHO yours is a "lemon", sorry you got stuck with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't guess how the "lemon law" proceedings have affected the course of repair in this case.

I CAN say it's the first one I've seen with this much repair history (repeated basic repair without further diagnosis, then further diagnosis & attempted repair) at the Dealer level without a replacement unit being used.

Cynical thought would be that as long as it's a "lemon" case, it's being used as a field experiment to see what's really needed to get this one right - learning more that way than if it was just yanked & examined without repair & retest.

Yes IMHO yours is a "lemon", sorry you got stuck with it.
My car is being held hostage by Ford. They will not allow me to pick it up, even though I am paying for the car. They were kind enough to provide me with a Nissan Versa sedan......[twothumbs], needless to say, I have been using my other vehicle.

They have had the car three weeks, have had an engineer onsite last week, performed additional repairs per the finding of the engineer and the car still fails tests. [headbang] Some real bright engineers they send out. The transmission has been around for three years, if they are still sending engineers out to try to fix these issues, they do not have fix.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No, I don't want a CVT. I want the transmission Ford advertises on their website. The power shift 6 speed automatic, you know, the one they say delivers "seamless gear changes." Thats the transmission option I paid for!

Actually, it sounds like Ford was selling a CVT, not a transmission that has distinct gears.

I don't know what you are not understanding here. I never said the transmission was going to deliver seamless gear changes, Ford did! I didn't even come up with the idea of seamless gear changes, Ford did. The word seamless comes from the Ford website. As a consumer I simply want the product I was promised and the product I paid for.

If Ford knew it would never shift seamlessly, why did they, and why do they continue to advertise it as such? Let me make it easier for you, since you are missing the context of deceptive advertising.

I'm an appliance manufacturer and I sell washing machines. On my website you notice a model that says its highest spin cycle produces 4db of sound. You buy the washing machine, get it home, install it, upon using the machine you notice some noise during the spin cycle. You call my company and I tell you that noise is common during the break in period, it'll go away. You continue to use the washing machine for 4 months and notice the noise has not gone away and, in fact, the machine makes 9db of noise when measured. You call me again and raise your concern, I send a repair technician out, he replaces the motor and sound dampening material. Upon next use, you notice the noise has not gone away. This time when you call me, I tell you, well you see, this is a new hybrid motor in this machine, and its not really what you're used to oh and it will never meet that 4db standard.... have a nice day. While this is simply an analogy, perhaps it will help you understand the importance of not misleading your customers.
So the minute you left the dealership with the vehicle, you didn't notice the seamless shifting? You didn't turn around, take it right back in to the salesperson and say "Whoa, that's not seamless shifting." Why did it take you nearly 10k miles to decide it's not seamlessly shifting?

Ford will have in their OASIS system, every visit you made to a Ford service department where they took your information (mainly VIN), and entered a complaint about "not seemlessly shifting."

If you don't have documented complaints about it not seemlessly shifting, and it took you, say 8k miles before you started legal proceedings for such, a friend (Boalt Hall '79) thinks your suit will be thrown out.

I however, wish you the best of luck and fortune with the law suit.

Bummer all around that yours isn't seemlessly shifting. Mine does; I got lucky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So the minute you left the dealership with the vehicle, you didn't notice the seamless shifting? You didn't turn around, take it right back in to the salesperson and say "Whoa, that's not seamless shifting." Why did it take you nearly 10k miles to decide it's not seamlessly shifting?

Ford will have in their OASIS system, every visit you made to a Ford service department where they took your information (mainly VIN), and entered a complaint about "not seemlessly shifting."

If you don't have documented complaints about it not seemlessly shifting, and it took you, say 8k miles before you started legal proceedings for such, a friend (Boalt Hall '79) thinks your suit will be thrown out.

I however, wish you the best of luck and fortune with the law suit.

Bummer all around that yours isn't seemlessly shifting. Mine does; I got lucky.
Dealer was notified at 750 miles that it was shifting "odd." I was told this was part of the break-in period, the vehicle was still learning driving habits. As I have already explained, the vehicle has met the statutory guidelines of the Illinois Lemon Law, and perhaps your friend (Boalt Hall 79') needs to familiarize himself with the Illinois Consumer Fraud Protection Act 815 ILCS 505, as I am an investigator for the State's Attorney's Office in the county which I reside. I'm sure my legal resources far exceed that of your own. My documentation exceeds that of Oasis, I have printouts for every conversation I have had with a representative from Ford Motor Co and my dealership.....

Take it back to the sales person and say "whoa"... I would enjoy watching you return to your dealer after signing a contract and ask them to buy the car back. It's not the dealerships issue, it is a Ford Motor Co issue, and the salesman would probably say "sorry, take it in to service or call Ford." Not that it matters much, my salesman was fired just weeks after my purchase.

Here is some reading material for you, although, I have some underlying feeling you're not going to read it.
http://www.ftc.gov/public-statements/1983/10/ftc-policy-statement-deception

Summary:
Certain elements undergird all deception cases. First, there must be a representation, omission or practice that is likely to mislead the consumer.4 Practices that have been found misleading or deceptive in specific cases include false oral or written representations, misleading price claims, sales of hazardous or systematically defective products or services without adequate disclosures, failure to disclose information regarding pyramid sales, use of bait and switch techniques, failure to perform promised services, and failure to meet warranty obligations.5

Quite frankly, your questions are more appropriate for Ford Motor Co., as they have issued written statements saying the vehicle will have a "hitch" feeling. Simply put, Ford admits the vehicle will never provide seamless gear changes, yet it is still advertised on their website as such.

As always, good luck with your transmission that is "working as designed at this time" as Ford likes to say. But when you start experiencing issues, best of luck to you, while I enjoy the non-Ford vehicle I will be replacing mine with.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts