Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2012 Focus SfE model. Since new I told the dealer that I can feel
vibrations or a shimmy and shake, in the drivers seat, about every 4 seconds.
The mechanic claims he could not feel anything, but after I got the car back, I
started it up and told the guy who delivers the cars to the front that it was still
there.

Then today I see some sites are selling rear motor mounts from Ford OEM for
$55 a piece. I would assume I need two. Maybe this will solve the subtle vibrations
and shimmy I feel in my ass sitting in the drivers seat? It only is noticeable in Park
or in Gear when I am at a stop light.

The IDLE in Park goes up to 1,000 RPM but when in gear and stopped at a light
it drops from 1,000 and levels off at 600 RPM. They already reprogrammed my PCM
TCM and ABS systems a few months ago on the last recall, but now 1 out of 3 trips
to the gas station in mornings, after starting the car again and driving 20 feet about
5 to 10 mph, it will JERK forward and then be fine. I guess I will have to have my
Seals replaced, one guy said they also replaced his Clutches too, and afterwards he
gets better shifts and better MPGs.

My gf's 03 Corolla had a TSB about the motor mounts on the drivers side, it was causing the car to have some vibrations. Sounds like this might be the problem for my little sublte shimmy and shake under my butt, I thought maybe it was an exhaust pipe or something but I have not seen under the car where they add any rubber pieces to keep things from shaking and being noticeable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That is why I miss my 02 Civic, my GF got me to get a new car. I didn't need one, I just never had a new car in my life. The Civic had 110k miles on it and it ran like new, it never shook, you never knew the car was started. Sometimes I forgot to look at the dash to see that all lights were off, which meant the car was already started after I turned the key before. I did a couple times thinking I forgot to start the car and got that annoying YES YOU DID noise. The only problem it ever had was a bad ECM, after replacing it, my vents and defrost worked so much better. Those ECM's controlled just about everything on the car.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That is why I miss my 02 Civic, my GF got me to get a new car. I didn't need one, I just never had a new car in my life. The Civic had 110k miles on it and it ran like new, it never shook, you never knew the car was started. Sometimes I forgot to look at the dash to see that all lights were off, which meant the car was already started after I turned the key before. I did a couple times thinking I forgot to start the car and got that annoying YES YOU DID noise. The only problem it ever had was a bad ECM, after replacing it, my vents and defrost worked so much better. Those ECM's controlled just about everything on the car.
That's pretty much every vehicle today. My Cherokee isn't like this (thankfully), but most modern vehicles have everything controlled by the data bus.

That is why on a lot of vehicles, if you don't order the factory towing packages, you can't just splice and add trailer wiring any more.

What does it do?
It does a great job (better than most) of eliminating cabin vibrations from inherently unbalanced 4 cylinder engines. The problem? They don't last long.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too have the ass shaking going on, feel like Shakira in there. Was thinking about taking it into the dealer, my wifes cousin is a mechanic there and wont BS me, will post what I hear back

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen sites selling aftermarket add ons for 2012 Focus also selling the Motor Mount bushing for $55. Probably has to do with that ass shaking in Park or while in gear at a stop light. One time felt like the car was going to die on me but it didn't. Recall talks about replacing seals, but one guy who had the jerking motion at low speeds, mines about 7mph mostly when Im at my local gas station 1 out of every 3 times, said they changed his seals and also both clutches, I'm assuming his clutch packs? I know they revised them in 2013. Ford needs to hone up and just replace our trannies which would be faster unbolting and bolting on another newer one. Someone mentioned they were using Pot Metal on the tranny gears instead of forged steel. Not sure if this is accurate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts