Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
So upset. I have had my car for about 2 weeks now. Haven't had a problem with shudder or grinding noise until today. 74500 miles exactly. I bought the car used from a gmc dealer. Was never informed about transmission issues when I bought the car. But today, everyone in that place was an expert on dct trans. It royally pissed me off. They are wanting me to take it to the local ford dealer to have it looked at.

I think what upsets me the most is that I feel like a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. I'm stuck. Not sure what to do and reading these posts doesn't give me much hope. It's a violent shudder from a stop and then a grinding noise when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well I took my 2013 with 8,700 miles on it to the ford dealer a few days ago to have their tech look at the sputtering issues in acceleration. As I figured it would go, they told me "the cars fine, it's a manual transmission & the shifting points will be awkward". I thought when I bought the car it said "AT". Whatever, it still sputters & shudders almost everytime on acceleration, out of the whole. On a side note: I was smelling coolant from outside the car & I brought that to their attention. They determined I needed a "water pump" replacement after 8,700 miles, so that was under warranty. I have no clue what caused that.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Like I told the Ford tech, I love the cars handling, styling & features but I just wish it drove in "AT MODE" without being so jerky. There isn't much to be said after that. I thought the issue was solved in 2012, so my question is: do the 2014s drive like this? And why aren't the new style 2015s out yet? Non electric...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Again, just so I'm clear, I'm not here to rip Ford. I'm a Ford guy. I've had an F150 Harley, SVT lightning & this is my 3rd Focus hatchback, I love Fords & my next one will probably be an ecoboost focus, when it's available. I'm just sharing my experience in how my car drives, that's all. Overall it's still a very cool looking & sporty car. It just shifts a little strange.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Again, just so I'm clear, I'm not here to rip Ford. I'm a Ford guy. I've had an F150 Harley, SVT lightning & this is my 3rd Focus hatchback, I love Fords & my next one will probably be an ecoboost focus, when it's available. I'm just sharing my experience in how my car drives, that's all. Overall it's still a very cool looking & sporty car. It just shifts a little strange.
Ask them to flash it with the latest TSB software. They should have no issue doing that.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
So upset. I have had my car for about 2 weeks now. Haven't had a problem with shudder or grinding noise until today. 74500 miles exactly. I bought the car used from a gmc dealer. Was never informed about transmission issues when I bought the car. But today, everyone in that place was an expert on dct trans. It royally pissed me off. They are wanting me to take it to the local ford dealer to have it looked at.

I think what upsets me the most is that I feel like a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. I'm stuck. Not sure what to do and reading these posts doesn't give me much hope. It's a violent shudder from a stop and then a grinding noise when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd.
Once you've set up your appointment at your local Ford Dealer, please let me know. I'll check into some additional resources.

Well I took my 2013 with 8,700 miles on it to the ford dealer a few days ago to have their tech look at the sputtering issues in acceleration. As I figured it would go, they told me "the cars fine, it's a manual transmission & the shifting points will be awkward". I thought when I bought the car it said "AT". Whatever, it still sputters & shudders almost everytime on acceleration, out of the whole. On a side note: I was smelling coolant from outside the car & I brought that to their attention. They determined I needed a "water pump" replacement after 8,700 miles, so that was under warranty. I have no clue what caused that.
Hi Pokerrun388,

I want to see how I can best assist. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
2 Posts
IS there a true fix for this?????

I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus from a dealer with 59900 miles. For some reason I didn't notice the shutter right away but within day two I realized there was a problem. I took it back to the dealer and they were very nice about it and took it over to the Ford dealer where they got it "fixed". I was told they ran the computer program on the transmission but that most likely it wont last and I'll have to have the clutch replaced and then they said I shouldn't have any more problems. BUT...that is not what I'm reading and seeing on these threads.

I would just really like to know if there is anyone out there who has had their clutch replaced and not had another problem after driving 20k-50k miles?

They tried to assure me that once the clutch is replaced, I should be fine but I'm just not believing it. We have discussed trading the focus for another car in their inventory but their really isn't anything I liked nearly as much as this car. I'd really like to keep it but not if I'm going to be driving over to the dealer every few thousand miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Experienced some shutter on my 2013 FF Titanium hatch starting at about 24,500kms or approx. 15,300miles. Went into my local dealer and the service agent said that their tranny guy would have to take it for a test drive. He never got it off the lot and told me that he would have to replace the clutches. That was Wednesday, got a phone call on Thursday and next Friday my Focus is getting it's first major fix. Bought this car off the lot end of July 2013, so I don't know which seals were installed at the factory.
So far this has been a very positive service visit. Very happy with my ford dealer in Nanaimo BC.
Been getting good mileage with peppy acceleration when heavy on the go pedal.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus from a dealer with 59900 miles. For some reason I didn't notice the shutter right away but within day two I realized there was a problem. I took it back to the dealer and they were very nice about it and took it over to the Ford dealer where they got it "fixed". I was told they ran the computer program on the transmission but that most likely it wont last and I'll have to have the clutch replaced and then they said I shouldn't have any more problems. BUT...that is not what I'm reading and seeing on these threads.

I would just really like to know if there is anyone out there who has had their clutch replaced and not had another problem after driving 20k-50k miles?

They tried to assure me that once the clutch is replaced, I should be fine but I'm just not believing it. We have discussed trading the focus for another car in their inventory but their really isn't anything I liked nearly as much as this car. I'd really like to keep it but not if I'm going to be driving over to the dealer every few thousand miles.
Kraff, I have seen several posts about the F series fix that said it lasted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2013 ford focus sfe-dct.

Having some of the same issues as others on here. Will be trading car as soon as i can. Spoke with ford dealer, and their response was the same " car has to get used to your driving style". Well, i have driven slow, fast, etc., and same problem. Drove car on a 400 mile trip with family. Problem was much worse. Went to local ford dealer about trading it, and he wanted to give me what car was selling for at mechum auction ( $9500-$10,000) ! Really ! He has several on lot selling for $14,995 ! Other lots ( chevrolet, gmc ) do not want it. Wish i had kept my 2004 gmc sierra. Will never own another dct.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The clutch pack has been replaced and the shifts are fine again. The seal had failed and contaminated the clutch with tranny oil. How just have to retrain the computer to my driving style. This was very good response from Steve Marshall Ford in Nanaimo, B.C. From the complaint to the fix less than 2 weeks and only without my Focus for 8 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Having some of the same issues as others on here. Will be trading car as soon as i can. Spoke with ford dealer, and their response was the same " car has to get used to your driving style". Well, i have driven slow, fast, etc., and same problem. Drove car on a 400 mile trip with family. Problem was much worse. Went to local ford dealer about trading it, and he wanted to give me what car was selling for at mechum auction ( $9500-$10,000) ! Really ! He has several on lot selling for $14,995 ! Other lots ( chevrolet, gmc ) do not want it. Wish i had kept my 2004 gmc sierra. Will never own another dct.
there are ford reps here at this board who truly care about customer satisfaction and will be glad to escalate your case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems the shudder,jerks,and rattling have ceased " maybe temporarily ". I have read in other posts how other owners are driving their cars. It is just hard for me to believe that Ford would put this transmission into production with these kind of issues. I bought mine with 36,000 miles on it from a Toyota dealer. Nowhere did I see that it had a DCT transmission. I have decided to keep my Focus for now. But I will never own another automatic transmission with more than 4 speeds. I would gladly lose some MPG's and take a 4-speed A/T with a torque converter.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Seems the shudder,jerks,and rattling have ceased " maybe temporarily ". I have read in other posts how other owners are driving their cars. It is just hard for me to believe that Ford would put this transmission into production with these kind of issues. I bought mine with 36,000 miles on it from a Toyota dealer. Nowhere did I see that it had a DCT transmission. I have decided to keep my Focus for now. But I will never own another automatic transmission with more than 4 speeds. I would gladly lose some MPG's and take a 4-speed A/T with a torque converter.
as far as I know, these issues have nothing to do with how many speeds it has, its about the dry clutch transmission DCT

·
Registered
113 Posts
as far as I know, these issues have nothing to do with how many speeds it has, its about the dry clutch transmission DCT
Agreed. Many cars have 6+ speed AT with torque converters without issues. I think the new C series mercedes have something like an 8 speed AT in them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We bought my wifes car with 34,000 miles on it from a Hertz dealer. It has been to the local Ford dealership for the TSB on Transmission Shudder twice. It now has right at 50,000 miles on it. I have noticed and my wife has told me that the shudder gets worse for a few days after I drive it and then she goes back to driving it. Taking off a little more aggressively from a light makes the shudder not as bad.....but who wants to do that....just makes your mpg lower??? I'm sure others have commented about Ford extending the transmission warranty to 100,000 miles from 50,0000 so I will give them some credit there. When the transmission finally fails at around 100,000 I'll deal with it then I guess? The Focus really is not a good car. Ours also has a gravely grinding sound that comes from down to the left of the driver sort of sounds like its at the bottom of the door panel but a little forward. Literally sounds like rocks grinding together. She wanted the car.....I knew better than to buy American....but she wanted the car. We are going on a cruise on March 15th and driving about 8 hours from our home in South Carolina to Port Canaveral....just hope we don't have problems with this car, it certainly is not confidence inspiring. My last two vehicles....1990 Nissan Hardbody pickup 350,000 miles with no issues before it finally died. Vehicle now 2005 Toyota Tundra with 167,000 still drives like it's new. One day Ford may make decent vehicles but that day has not yet arrived.

161 - 180 of 920 Posts