Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I took the car back to the "Big box" store that I bought it from to address my concerns. The salesrep and I met with their service adviser. He was aware of the issues Ford is having with the Focus tranny. I must say they were very sympathetic and never pressured me to do anything. They offered to do whatever would make me happy including taking the car back.

What we have agreed to do for now:

Drive the car hoping the system "learns as you drive" which is part of the reflash completed by the local Ford dealer. On January 5th bring the car in to them, they will take it to their local Ford dealer and have them check it out. I will then have the choice to have further work done if needed, return the car, or replace the car. If further work is needed, they will provide me with a loaner.

So far so good.
Glad to hear it! I'll keep an eye out for your updates to see how I can best assist.

Meagan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I've clocked a little over 1,000 miles and the problem is beginning to concern me. The shutter is intermittent, but more often then not. It also seems to rev high when trying to merge on to the interstate, and actual slows down, almost as if the tranny is slipping.

Question for others..... At 75mph what are your rpms? I am running 2500 which seems high, but maybe it's normal?

I will be taking the car in and dropping it off Sunday night. Hope they can figure it out.

And WHY is the headlight switch a knob that my knee hits getting in / out of the car. I frequently rotate the switch to the ON position and of course the car starts chiming because the headlight or parking lights are now on and the car is shut off. Poor design / location for that switch.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well, I've clocked a little over 1,000 miles and the problem is beginning to concern me. The shutter is intermittent, but more often then not. It also seems to rev high when trying to merge on to the interstate, and actual slows down, almost as if the tranny is slipping.

Question for others..... At 75mph what are your rpms? I am running 2500 which seems high, but maybe it's normal?

I will be taking the car in and dropping it off Sunday night. Hope they can figure it out.

And WHY is the headlight switch a knob that my knee hits getting in / out of the car. I frequently rotate the switch to the ON position and of course the car starts chiming because the headlight or parking lights are now on and the car is shut off. Poor design / location for that switch.

Tom I will check my RPMs on that speed tomorrow morning & report back. As far as the sputter & shuddering goes, mine pretty much does it all the time when at intersections & out of the whole. It will occasionally do it on the fwy when I'm trying to pass another car (which is very annoying) and then the RPMs rev very high & it takes off. At this point I'm avoiding the dealer because I don't wanna deal with it but my car has under 8k miles so it needs to be dropped off at the dealer soon than later. I've recently been smelling coolant outside my car & I have no idea why that is. I'll add that to my list when I get to the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tom I will check my RPMs on that speed tomorrow morning & report back. As far as the sputter & shuddering goes, mine pretty much does it all the time when at intersections & out of the whole. It will occasionally do it on the fwy when I'm trying to pass another car (which is very annoying) and then the RPMs rev very high & it takes off. At this point I'm avoiding the dealer because I don't wanna deal with it but my car has under 8k miles so it needs to be dropped off at the dealer soon than later. I've recently been smelling coolant outside my car & I have no idea why that is. I'll add that to my list when I get to the dealer.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
472 Posts

At 75 I am about that RPM. Even my old V6 6speed Xterra would be about that RPM at that speed. Maybe 100 lower. My GF's Camry hovers about the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my 2012 tested in December. It definitely needed repairs. It had a bad shudder during acceleration. Now it runs like a dream.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Much appreciated.

2800rpm @ 75mph is what I had this morning. Seemed to be cursing along very nicely. I just wanna have the shuddering under acceleration checked out. Mine is a 2013 titanium hatchback with under 8k. I'll update you Tom when I finally get my car into the dealer to have everything checked. Have a nice weekend!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dropped the car off a week ago (last Sunday evening), the big box auto dealer called me Monday and informed me "This is a Ford nation wide recall, it would be best to pick up the car and take it to Ford yourself". I informed them "If I pick the car up it will be to burn it in your parking lot.... now that I have your attention........"

They took it to the local dealer Crown Ford. As of Friday, they have "11 cars ahead of mine".

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Dropped the car off a week ago (last Sunday evening), the big box auto dealer called me Monday and informed me "This is a Ford nation wide recall, it would be best to pick up the car and take it to Ford yourself". I informed them "If I pick the car up it will be to burn it in your parking lot.... now that I have your attention........"

They took it to the local dealer Crown Ford. As of Friday, they have "11 cars ahead of mine".
You're not the first post I've read where the dealer said there were a lot of cars coming in for this.
Good for you not letting yourself be danced around.

If the Ford dealer doesn't take care of you, be sure to seek out Meagan the Ford rep here. I have seen her help dozens of other people in that situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The box car lot called "car is ready". Me: "Really? what, did they do?" Rep: "Uh.... let me call and find out, I'll have to call you back"

Call back...... Rep: "The Ford dealer flashed the PCM and TCM with the latest software"

Me: "Wasn't that originally done on December 4th when the recall work was performed? As stated on the service ticket dated then"

Rep: "Well, probably, but this is another version"

I am skeptical to say the least.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The box car lot called "car is ready". Me: "Really? what, did they do?" Rep: "Uh.... let me call and find out, I'll have to call you back"

Call back...... Rep: "The Ford dealer flashed the PCM and TCM with the latest software"

Me: "Wasn't that originally done on December 4th when the recall work was performed? As stated on the service ticket dated then"

Rep: "Well, probably, but this is another version"

I am skeptical to say the least.
I hope it works out, stay on them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Ford rep here has helped me before when I first took it in to be serviced, five months later and I sought out Meagan's help again for the same issues (seal leaking and transmission stutters, shudders, etc.). Meagan "escalated" the issue, but it seems the corporate Ford service reps have their hands tied by higher ups and cannot provide much help (at least not for me). The corporate rep acknowledged that the dealership in my area is overwhelmed and there is no use to take it there. She suggested (1) I drive an hour in traffic on a weekday to have another dealership look at the issue; (2) they will test the car that day while I drive the hour back; (3) once/if the acknowledge the issue I drive the two hours round-trip to pick up my car and they will order the parts and let me know another day I can come back to drop car off to be repaired; and (4) I drive another two hours round-trip to pick up my car after it is fixed sometime in the future.

This is my third issue with the transmission and fourth trip to the dealer. Six hours of driving during the week seems unreasonable. Last time they had me do the same thing, but it was on a weekend and they offered a rental instead of picking up and dropping off. No such courtesy this time.

I asked to talk a supervisor, waiting on a callback but not holding my breadth. It took me 3-4 weeks to get the corporate service rep on the phone.

If the Ford dealer doesn't take care of you, be sure to seek out Meagan the Ford rep here. I have seen her help dozens of other people in that situation.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The Ford rep here has helped me before when I first took it in to be serviced, five months later and I sought out Meagan's help again for the same issues (seal leaking and transmission stutters, shudders, etc.). Meagan "escalated" the issue, but it seems the corporate Ford service reps have their hands tied by higher ups and cannot provide much help (at least not for me). The corporate rep acknowledged that the dealership in my area is overwhelmed and there is no use to take it there. She suggested (1) I drive an hour in traffic on a weekday to have another dealership look at the issue; (2) they will test the car that day while I drive the hour back; (3) once/if the acknowledge the issue I drive the two hours round-trip to pick up my car and they will order the parts and let me know another day I can come back to drop car off to be repaired; and (4) I drive another two hours round-trip to pick up my car after it is fixed sometime in the future.

This is my third issue with the transmission and fourth trip to the dealer. Six hours of driving during the week seems unreasonable. Last time they had me do the same thing, but it was on a weekend and they offered a rental instead of picking up and dropping off. No such courtesy this time.

I asked to talk a supervisor, waiting on a callback but not holding my breadth. It took me 3-4 weeks to get the corporate service rep on the phone.
yours is the second post today about dealers backed up with tranny problems, I wonder how widespread this really is ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
How is it driving?
Hard to say, only 6 miles to the house. This morning the 13 miles to work. It did shutter a bit from a light. Seems more noticeable after warm up. I'm sure they are going to tell me "you need to drive it another 30 days / 1000 miles for it to learn blah blah blah".

I am surprised that the car was "flashed" December 4th, and yet there is already a new updated flash available, that was performed yesterday.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hard to say, only 6 miles to the house. This morning the 13 miles to work. It did shutter a bit from a light. Seems more noticeable after warm up. I'm sure they are going to tell me "you need to drive it another 30 days / 1000 miles for it to learn blah blah blah".

I am surprised that the car was "flashed" December 4th, and yet there is already a new updated flash available, that was performed yesterday.
That doesn't mean the flash executed on Dec 4th, was released Dec 4th.

141 - 160 of 920 Posts