Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 927 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

I’ve bought a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium a year ago and had a great experience with my car until last week. The car started extremely shaking between 1-3 gears around 2000rpm – it seems as the car is trying to change gears but it’s having issues with it. This is the worst in highway traffic once it’s stop and go. I was afraid the car will completely die on me. To add to these issues a coffee maker grinding sound started appearing also within 1-3 gears around 2000rpm (which you can hear with windows closed) and yesterday the car started shaking when I’m on reverse.

I am planning to take it to the dealer this week, however dose anyone have any suggestions on what should I be specifically telling the dealer so this issue is fixed.
and dealer got back to me saying:
The Vin# shows that your vehicle has a transmission issue that is related to the symptoms you describe in your email.
14M01 TRANSMISSION CLUTCH SHUDDER / TRANSMISSION INPUT SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY EXTENSION
We currently don’t have any appointments available at this time we are using a waiting list and I can add you to our list. The waiting time is 12-14 weeks please let me know if that works for you.

12-14 weeks seems like a very long time...I'll be checking with other dealers in the area.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello,

I’ve bought a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium a year ago and had a great experience with my car until last week. The car started extremely shaking between 1-3 gears around 2000rpm – it seems as the car is trying to change gears but it’s having issues with it. This is the worst in highway traffic once it’s stop and go. I was afraid the car will completely die on me. To add to these issues a coffee maker grinding sound started appearing also within 1-3 gears around 2000rpm (which you can hear with windows closed) and yesterday the car started shaking when I’m on reverse.

I am planning to take it to the dealer this week, however dose anyone have any suggestions on what should I be specifically telling the dealer so this issue is fixed.
I'm glad to hear you're taking any steps in the right direction, DrewMP3. A diagnosis is the best first step toward reaching a resolution. With an updated odometer reading, I'll be able to investigate this further.

Brittany

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're taking any steps in the right direction, DrewMP3. A diagnosis is the best first step toward reaching a resolution. With an updated odometer reading, I'll be able to investigate this further.

Brittany
2012 Ford Focus Titanium @ 57K miles/92K KM - I sent PM of VIN as well. I hope i will be able to find a sooner appointment time as the wait right now is ridiculous 12-14weeks. Other dealerships have not responded to me yet.

·
Registered
233 Posts
2012 Ford Focus Titanium @ 57K miles/92K KM - I sent PM of VIN as well. I hope i will be able to find a sooner appointment time as the wait right now is ridiculous 12-14weeks. Other dealerships have not responded to me yet.
Thanks, DrewMP3. I'm reviewing your private message now and will fill you in with some details shortly; hang tight!

Brittany

·
Registered
838 Posts
I haven't read any if this thread yet but can someone on here tell me if my car would be effected my this? I have a 2013 focus hatch that I bought used in June 2014. My car currently has only 6.5k miles & it constantly sputters under acceleration. So much so that I've thought about taking it in. Besides being sporty looking, it's very frustrating to drive. Didn't tell have this problem solved already in 2012? My car was first out into service in Nov. 2013. When I paid for it, it only had 4k miles. It's a titanium hatchback.

Is there a problem with my car? I bought it from a Ford Dealer. Or is this just how they drive? If it's going to sputter like this constantly I probably won't be keeping it much longer, thanks for any tips on this guys!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Handles great. Transmission shifts oddly & stutters a lot under acceleration at signals. It's a very odd driving car. Idk if they were designed to drive that way? But I thought ford corrected and updated the problem in 2012. My car is only 6 months old with less than 6.7k miles but the constant spuddering & jerking at signals driving around town gets old. As far as styling goes, yes it's a great looking car & it handles like a BMW but from a shifting & acceleration aspect my 2005 focus was easier to drive. Should I take the car to ford & have them drive it? Or do they all drive this way?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Handles great. Transmission shifts oddly & stutters a lot under acceleration at signals. It's a very odd driving car. Idk if they were designed to drive that way? But I thought ford corrected and updated the problem in 2012. My car is only 6 months old with less than 6.7k miles but the constant spuddering & jerking at signals driving around town gets old. As far as styling goes, yes it's a great looking car & it handles like a BMW but from a shifting & acceleration aspect my 2005 focus was easier to drive. Should I take the car to ford & have them drive it? Or do they all drive this way?
Take it to the dealer and have the ECM re-flashed with the latest TSB.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thankyou! I will take the car in on Saturday. I'm surprised that it wasn't already corrected before I drove it off the lot but I'll see what they have too say & have them check that out, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Definitely should not be sputtering and/or jerking. I'll have to leave it to others to explain the non-DCT possibilities for this, but it should be a very smooth vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Experiencing this issue

I am experiencing the issue you describe with the transmission. I spoke with a dealer about it earlier this week and was told its a known issue and nothing they can do about it. The stutter isn't as annoying as the rattle and shake with it.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Threads in the MkIII section estimated clutches/seals at $1500, not something you'd do as a "preventative" to avoid paying for the same repair.
I have not read this whole thread yet, but I'm wondering why it is not in the MkIII section, since it only applies to 2012+ cars?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Transmission shudder issues

Again I will post that the dealers should be addressing this under TSB 14-0197, the latest bulletin release. Not that I'm convinced that this will correct the problem. FORD SMT here with 36+years. Made comments on this in several other threads. Parts quality and availabilty issues!!! Techs not being compensated for a proper repair...nothing NEW...customers very dissatified[rant] I rest my case.[xx(]

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Arco-Zakus - this was first posted in General Tech., then got stickied there.

Over time Makuloco posted more good threads in the MkIII section & they were made stickies here.

All in one place now.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Update: so I took my car to the dealer. First of all they act stupid of course, like it's my fault. Secondly, they need the car all day just to diagnose it & determine if there's a problem. Ummm yea, there is a problem otherwise I wouldn't be here!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I find it very bizarre that Ford designed a clutch/tranny in 2013 that shifts like a manual even when AT mode. Cuz that's exactly what it's doing. If I could take the "sport" mode shifter out I would. I have no desire to shift a manual, if I did I would've bought an ST. Oh & btw, there were "several" cars according to them in there for the same issue & the repair would be 2-3 weeks out due to the availability issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I find it very bizarre that Ford designed a clutch/tranny in 2013 that shifts like a manual even when AT mode. Cuz that's exactly what it's doing. If I could take the "sport" mode shifter out I would. I have no desire to shift a manual, if I did I would've bought an ST. Oh & btw, there were "several" cars according to them in there for the same issue & the repair would be 2-3 weeks out due to the availability issue.
Putting it in Sport mode does not require manually selecting gears, UNTIL you select a gear manually the first time. If you just throw it in S, and never use the up/down buttons, it still auto-shifts for you, but at slightly higher rpm's.

As I mentioned elsewhere, doing this has greatly reduced, if not all but eliminated the shuddering issue I occasionally experienced in 1st gear. I think it somehow re-teaches the software where to shift from 1st to 2nd. Occasionally, just to reinforce this learning process, I will select 1st gear, and keep it there just to run the rpm's up and down to/from 4k. After that, it is good to go for a while.

But, the shuddering my car used to experience did not seem to be clutch slip. It was very noticeable that it was the shift actuators getting confused and engaging/disengaging. With the windows down, I could actually hear the solenoids clicking away.

101 - 120 of 927 Posts