Focus Fanatics Forum banner

921 - 927 of 927 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's a transmission control module issue not the clutches but yes it's still an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Yes thats what it said when i checked engine light....dealer i bought from said he spent 1500 on a new trans...took a month to get back...it doesnt go outta gear now ...but still acting funny and i hear a metal on metal noise as im turning left i believe from a stop...i throw my hands up

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes thats what it said when i checked engine light....dealer i bought from said he spent 1500 on a new trans...took a month to get back...it doesnt go outta gear now ...but still acting funny and i hear a metal on metal noise as im turning left i believe from a stop...i throw my hands up
If you leave your radio off you're gonna hear noises. Mine has done it since I picked it up. Totally normal but I understand it may not be pleasant. It's a manual trans at heart and the car doesn't have good sound deadening.

Overall I'm a lot happier with having Tom's Tune but the trans is never gonna be perfect. Whatever happens from here on out I have to live with ultimately.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you leave your radio off you're gonna hear noises. Mine has done it since I picked it up. Totally normal but I understand it may not be pleasant. It's a manual trans at heart and the car doesn't have good sound deadening.

Overall I'm a lot happier with having Tom's Tune but the trans is never gonna be perfect. Whatever happens from here on out I have to live with ultimately.

if any focus owner was able to get a test drive of a VW GTi with its wet dual clutch tranny he would quickly become outraged at how many "explanations" of ford focus tranny issues and noises was made up to cover a failed dry dual clutch attempt. It is so smooth that no one would know it wasn't a slush box if you didn't tell them. I had a 2006 and now a 2015. Sadly in between I had the 2012 focus but dumped it as I saw how the problems were becoming more well-known (and that the "fixes" weren't working. Long ago this board was heavily populated by ford defenders and customer svc reps, all explaining that we weren't driving it properly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
if any focus owner was able to get a test drive of a VW GTi with its wet dual clutch tranny he would quickly become outraged at how many "explanations" of ford focus tranny issues and noises was made up to cover a failed dry dual clutch attempt. It is so smooth that no one would know it wasn't a slush box if you didn't tell them. I had a 2006 and now a 2015. Sadly in between I had the 2012 focus but dumped it as I saw how the problems were becoming more well-known (and that the "fixes" weren't working. Long ago this board was heavily populated by ford defenders and customer svc reps, all explaining that we weren't driving it properly.
Well yeah the driving it wrong thing was a BS blanket excuse by Ford. However I do believe these trans fare better with more aggressive driving. Not exactly practical advice all the time for a daily driver but it is what it is. Trans shudder at the level that we see is not normal. If the car makes those noises from new it stands to reason that those noises are normal. I've had my clutches replaced and unlike what others claim, no, the noises do NOT go away.

You can't compare a wet clutch DCT to a dry one if that's what you're doing. Totally different. Also I do believe Ford's TCM programming sucks even if it MAY not totally cure the problem if you tune it. The differences between the shudder on bad clutches between the tune and stock programming is immense. I'm not blowing smoke up people's asses to sell his product. The results speak for themselves.

My opinion is either try it or get rid of the car. Ford doesn't have any worthwhile solutions. All they've done is throw parts at it and try to act like they've do anything useful. They have not.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
right you are, my actual point was the dry clutch tranny is a failed experiment at Ford, Hyundai and in the Dodge Dart.
hence all the various suggestions how to make it run right, first warning sign.
Yo get in the VW and """just drive""" , no special anything

·
Registered
211 Posts
right you are, my actual point was the dry clutch tranny is a failed experiment at Ford, Hyundai and in the Dodge Dart.
hence all the various suggestions how to make it run right, first warning sign.
Yo get in the VW and """just drive""" , no special anything
I believe dry clutch could be done successfully but manufacturers haven't figured it out yet. Some do drive the DCT wrong. Creeping can be done in a true manual too but you will overheat the clutch. That's why there's an overheat warning in Ford's DCT software. Unfortunately humans are fickle and telling them to modify their habits drives them off. To me it's silly. Creeping does not get you any where any faster.

However this is a separate issue from clutch shudder and TCM problems.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Aren’t many of us supposed to be getting a postcard this week from that Class Action Settlement vs. Ford? I read that online last night, so I’m curious to see how my car fits into that outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

921 - 927 of 927 Posts