Focus Fanatics Forum banner

901 - 920 of 927 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I honestly have no idea what Ford is doing & I’ve given up. The car has zero resale value so I’m stuck with it unless I basically go to Carmax & give it away. So for now I’ll just keep it & sputter around all week long until I eventually decide to buy something else, however the size & style of the MK3 is something I really like. I’d probably buy the Focus RS but I can’t get over the prices on those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm confident Tom's tune will extend the life of the transmission greatly. You can feel the slip they program into it on on the stock tune, even without the shudder present.

I was told it's so the launch feels more comfortable. Seems immensely dumb if you ask me. Even if a custom tune is less comfortable (and Tom's is the opposite) I'd take reliability over a comfortable launch any day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Has anyone else had their car randomly surge while driving? Was on my way to work this morning and the car revved from 2-3k while cruising.

I swear, these cars. They're so weird. A quick Google and quora question said something about transmission solenoid. Hopefully the damn TCM isn't starting to go out again. Was replaced in February of 2017 while rental agency owned it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford focus 1.6 powershift

Dose anyone know of the best way to fix this issue. I get the real bad shudder when pulling off. It feels horrendous, would love to get this fixed.
Regards

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dose anyone know of the best way to fix this issue. I get the real bad shudder when pulling off. It feels horrendous, would love to get this fixed.
Regards
These are the only real "fixes":
  1. If you have a 2012 or 2013, get a new TCM (the unit, which odds are is still under the extended warranty)
  2. Get the latest TCM software (whether you have a new TCM or not, have them check it)
  3. Get a new clutch pack (if you're still under warranty, otherwise it's gonna be pricey)
Caveat: the above doesn't really fix the overarching issue, which is that the DPS6 is complete garbage. If it's shuddering now, it will shudder again eventually.

If you're no longer under warranty for new clutches, you could try doing a clutch scrub.

Regardless, some (or all) of these might help:
  1. Drive "intentionally" (no creeping in heavy traffic, and be consistent with your throttle)
  2. Use "Sport" mode (you can enable this using an ODBII adapter and FORscan if your car doesn't have it already) when in traffic with frequent start and stop
  3. Pay $462 for Tom's tune (he claims this fixes the transmission like magic, but the fact is that while it is almost certainly better than the stock software, there's no guarantee that he'll "fix" the DPS6 with it)

·
Registered
211 Posts

Regards
If you really want to keep the car, I'd definitely recommend Tom's tune. Even if it isn't perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than whatever Ford did with the stock software.

I took the tune off and drove around for 45 minutes 2 different directions. Car shuddered horrendously. Loaded the tune back in and a couple minutes later it smooths way the hell out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you really want to keep the car, I'd definitely recommend Tom's tune. Even if it isn't perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than whatever Ford did with the stock software.

I took the tune off and drove around for 45 minutes 2 different directions. Car shuddered horrendously. Loaded the tune back in and a couple minutes later it smooths way the hell out.
I had a very different experience. In preparation for hitting the 60,000 mile transmission warranty limit, I bought and used Tom's on a new set of clutches.

9,000 miles later, I had my car in for the fuel tank recall and they tested the transmission. It failed the diagnostic and they put in a new set of clutches under the extended warranty.

So Tom's tune didn't really do anything. The car didn't really drive badly before the tune or after, so I didn't really know anything was up. Tom never mentioned that I was supposed to contact him multiple times to refine the tune, and he told me I should have told him it was having trouble. But it wasn't, really.

I think Tom doesn't do a very good job communicating the procedure, but aside from that, I don't blame him. I don't mean to say that the tune doesn't work for some people, either. It clearly does. But I also think that the programming is only part of the problem and he can't do anything about the sucky transmission. The tune isn't a true fix, it just helps in some cases. It's a personal decision whether $460 for the tune is worth a potential fix, or if it's throwing good money after bad.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a very different experience. In preparation for hitting the 60,000 mile transmission warranty limit, I bought and used Tom's on a new set of clutches.

9,000 miles later, I had my car in for the fuel tank recall and they tested the transmission. It failed the diagnostic and they put in a new set of clutches under the extended warranty.

So Tom's tune didn't really do anything. The car didn't really drive badly before the tune or after, so I didn't really know anything was up. Tom never mentioned that I was supposed to contact him multiple times to refine the tune, and he told me I should have told him it was having trouble. But it wasn't, really.

I think Tom doesn't do a very good job communicating the procedure, but aside from that, I don't blame him. I don't mean to say that the tune doesn't work for some people, either. It clearly does. But I also think that the programming is only part of the problem and he can't do anything about the sucky transmission. The tune isn't a true fix, it just helps in some cases. It's a personal decision whether $460 for the tune is worth a potential fix, or if it's throwing good money after bad.
So the car wasn't having any real issues, yet it failed the diagnostic? 9,000 miles seems early for any kind of clutch shudder.

You also need to keep in mind that those were damn near brand new clutches for you. My car had 31,000 mile clutches before I got the tune. I'm not talking about shudder you can't feel. I'm talking the car shaking so bad that it starts to blur your vision. When I flash his tune back and a couple minutes later it drives astonishingly better, it's clear Ford isn't doing something right. However I get what you're saying. I'd like an explanation of why 250 RPM and below is considered "normal". Seems to me there shouldn't be any shudder.

I think your choice of words isn't great though. "Helps In some cases" clearly isn't accurate. It helps the vast majority of DCTs out there based on peoples experiences. It could remain near that 250 threshold and someone might not know it while they have the tune. He doesn't guarantee a fix and I think that's the correct approach because there can be many variables.

Even if the tune does significantly help/cure shudder, it doesn't mean I'm defending Ford or saying it's a fantastic transmission. I still don't trust they've fixed the TCM issues either. Ford seems to have no answers.

$462 isn't a small amount of money, but if you're in a loan still like me and it might make your car drive better, why not? I've got new clutches with 1700 miles on them and will form a final conclusion on both the tune and the transmission with time. I'm one of the people who was too naive to research what I was buying. For the DCT, it's a cruel way to learn a lesson. That said, the car has gotten me from point A to point B for over 2 years now with no major issues. They may have also rescued me when they replaced my TCM without it failing first.

I absolutely will NOT drive this car in stock form. It's an annoying and embarrassing experience and I'm glad this community at least has Tom. Ford sure can't do a thing about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So the car wasn't having any real issues, yet it failed the diagnostic? 9,000 miles seems early for any kind of clutch shudder.
I agree that it seems early, but certainly others seem to have had shudder pretty early on, too. This was my third set and the fastest to fail so far.

You also need to keep in mind that those were damn near brand new clutches for you. My car had 31,000 mile clutches before I got the tune. I'm not talking about shudder you can't feel. I'm talking the car shaking so bad that it starts to blur your vision. When I flash his tune back and a couple minutes later it drives astonishingly better, it's clear Ford isn't doing something right. However I get what you're saying. I'd like an explanation of why 250 RPM and below is considered "normal". Seems to me there shouldn't be any shudder.
I understand that the severity differs from car to car, and sensitivity to it from person to person. My shudder has never really been as bad as a lot of other people (like you) have described. But maybe that's because I've been able to feel it early and get them replaced before they get worse, I don't know.

I think your choice of words isn't great though. "Helps In some cases" clearly isn't accurate. It helps the vast majority of DCTs out there based on peoples experiences. It could remain near that 250 threshold and someone might not know it while they have the tune. He doesn't guarantee a fix and I think that's the correct approach because there can be many variables.
I think that, by definition, my choice of words is perfectly accurate. If you have some data proving that Tom's tune - when used solely to prevent shudder in the first place - works for everyone, I'd like to see it. If you can't provide that, then yes, I am correct in saying that it will help in "some" cases. Not all. Not even the "vast majority", unless you have some evidence supporting the statement. I will say that I believe it reduces existing shudder for the simple majority, though.

I understand why he doesn't guarantee a fix and I'm not saying that he should. All I've said is that exact thing: that Tom's tune is not a guaranteed fix and so people should decide if it's worth a shot or just throwing good money after bad.

I absolutely will NOT drive this car in stock form. It's an annoying and embarrassing experience and I'm glad this community at least has Tom. Ford sure can't do a thing about it.
And that's fine. Clearly for you, Tom's tune was a worthwhile investment. For me, it was a total waste of money. I am clearly one of those with a bad transmission - since I've had my clutches replaced 3 times - even though at no time was the shudder especially severe, it has failed the diagnostic each time.

If Tom's tune can't prevent that from happening, it clearly isn't perfect. And I don't expect it to be. I only came here to say that people should be aware that it's won't necessarily fix their car, even though Tom would have you believe otherwise (though he's clear that if your clutches are too far gone, it may not help). I had new clutches that he couldn't help. It seems to me that his tune isn't as refined as he'd have you believe, and so people should keep their expectations in check.

I'm working with him to get a better setup for my car, so maybe "this time" it will work. Honestly, my biggest complaint is that he never made it clear that this was a multi-step process, otherwise I would have just sent him data half a dozen times so he could refine the programming, instead of relying on his first attempt.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I mean, nothing is perfect. I used to be skeptical of Tom and his tune, but now that I understand that the real failure of the DPS6 is equal parts hardware and software, I understand how he can help.

And for the same reason that Ford can't use a one-size-fits-all method for software, Tom needs data to create a custom program that is optimized for the individual transmission.

That said, I've seen the "Tom isn't great at communicating" thing a couple of times. It seems that he just kinda thinks everyone knows what to do and he doesn't bother explaining it, though he'll answer specific questions well enough.

Full disclosure: I say this without any experience working with Tom or his tune. I was going to get it once my transmission warranty expired, but now that it's been upped by another 2 years and 40k miles, I'm going to let Ford keep replacing my clutch packs until I get closer to the limit.

·
FF Affiliate
30,671 Posts

Did you send me any datalogs or let me know you were having issues ?

If you look at the email with the base Tune it sais to datalog and send me the logs first thing right at the top , If I had spent 462.00 and it wasnt helping I would of contacted the person and asked for help and to see if there was anything else he could do before coming in here putting my Tune down that has actually helped HUNDREDS of DTC Customers

What I tell people is I can drastically help or cure there shudder issues , I dont say its a cure , some I help 40% and some 100% there all different , I have never had a Customer that has my DTC Tune that followed the steps and didnt say it helped , you might be the first but did you follow the steps and send me logs ?

On top of all that you can put your Focus back to stock and sell the X4 Flasher for 300.00 easy and only be out 162.00 why enjoying better driveability , throttle response , shifting and most say better MPG

I cant help if I am not told there is an issue , My phone # , email , web site is in ever post so I am easy to get a hold of

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree that it seems early, but certainly others seem to have had shudder pretty early on, too. This was my third set and the fastest to fail so far.

I understand that the severity differs from car to car, and sensitivity to it from person to person. My shudder has never really been as bad as a lot of other people (like you) have described. But maybe that's because I've been able to feel it early and get them replaced before they get worse, I don't know.

I think that, by definition, my choice of words is perfectly accurate. If you have some data proving that Tom's tune - when used solely to prevent shudder in the first place - works for everyone, I'd like to see it. If you can't provide that, then yes, I am correct in saying that it will help in "some" cases. Not all. Not even the "vast majority", unless you have some evidence supporting the statement. I will say that I believe it reduces existing shudder for the simple majority, though.

I understand why he doesn't guarantee a fix and I'm not saying that he should. All I've said is that exact thing: that Tom's tune is not a guaranteed fix and so people should decide if it's worth a shot or just throwing good money after bad.

And that's fine. Clearly for you, Tom's tune was a worthwhile investment. For me, it was a total waste of money. I am clearly one of those with a bad transmission - since I've had my clutches replaced 3 times - even though at no time was the shudder especially severe, it has failed the diagnostic each time.

If Tom's tune can't prevent that from happening, it clearly isn't perfect. And I don't expect it to be. I only came here to say that people should be aware that it's won't necessarily fix their car, even though Tom would have you believe otherwise (though he's clear that if your clutches are too far gone, it may not help). I had new clutches that he couldn't help. It seems to me that his tune isn't as refined as he'd have you believe, and so people should keep their expectations in check.

I'm working with him to get a better setup for my car, so maybe "this time" it will work. Honestly, my biggest complaint is that he never made it clear that this was a multi-step process, otherwise I would have just sent him data half a dozen times so he could refine the programming, instead of relying on his first attempt.

All I'm saying is that I had clutches with severe shudder and the tune made a huge difference. I could be wrong but you seem to be moreso saying that the tune isn't a fix. Those are 2 different points entirely. I haven't seen enough to say it's a cure. But I've seen more than enough to show that it will absolutely help with shudder, given I had so many miles on my clutches already. I don't think I've heard one person say it didn't help the issue. I don't at all think Tom is off base when he says it will help.

I did message someone here who, a couple years ago, had new clutches put in and did a tune. I asked him if he had shudder and he said he did. So I'm actually not confident it can entirely prevent the issue. All I'm saying is it absolutely makes a difference. I've seen it myself. The person who I messaged also didn't tell me to what degree they had shudder.

Really, this may sound ridiculous, but if a DCT is hardly shuddering (basically not detectable really) and it stays that way I think that person has little reason to complain. The issue almost always gets worse and worse. However we also have people online who claim they put 60k + miles on theirs and say they still don't have shudder. Without a tune even. I don't understand how that's possible or how the hell you could get that lucky. It's a widespread issue.

I'm not sure though. I haven't drove your car, but I'd be willing to bet you could hardly feel that shudder at 9k miles. I will be monitoring my new clutches. They have about 2,000 miles on them. Tune installed before 200 mi.

I listen to all experiences. You'd need a poll/consensus for the tune. It's kinda hard to prove anecdotes on an internet forum. Plus, we are a tiny fraction of all DCT owners.

·
Registered
838 Posts

Regards

What year is your Focus & how many miles? I have the same shudder & some days it’s worse than others. Mines a ‘13 with 42k miles & it’s had clutch replaced, new TCM, flash updates etc., & none of that made any difference.

·
FF Affiliate
30,671 Posts
My Tune can help your shudder issues and has helped hundreds of Customers

Ford dealerships and used car lots selling used Foci are my biggest Customers

Tom

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Tune can help your shudder issues and has helped hundreds of Customers

Ford dealerships and used car lots selling used Foci are my biggest Customers

Tom
Wow. Interesting. So some Ford dealers are selling cars with your tune.

Wonder how that works with warranty work ... or are they all out of warranty?

The buyer has to know otherwise what happens if another Ford dealer flashes the ECU and changes the strategy?

·
Registered
838 Posts
In my case, my car has zero warranty left because it’s a 2013, so I’m sure the tune would likely help, but I just wish I was closer to Tom, so I could just left him drive my car & do all of the programming for me. I’m clueless when it comes to that stuff so I’d be afraid that I’d screw something up.

In the meantime, Ford did extend that one-time clutch repair until Feb. 2020, so I plan I dropping my car off one last time. I’m not opposed to buying a Focus ST, but the mileage would have to be under 10k & it would have to have a lot of warranty left.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seems to an interesting but damn long topic. Who could read 916 posts? I definitely know that modern parts are freakin disposable and you may find more info on how this could impact on ecology. I'm not an eco-activist but modern economy politics makes me sad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Rachael, that's an interesting point and I don't know if anyone has brought up "disposable parts" in regard to this topic! I think the shops that work on these clutches (and other automotive repairs) usually recycle the metal parts that can't be rebuilt. Also, the whole DCT clutch thing was done by Ford so they could hit the federally-mandated CAFE fuel standards that get ever more stringent, which is why you see a lot more plastic in cars, which cracks and has to be sent to a landfill & replaced rather than being recycled or "hammered out" as in olden times. Just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Guess
With respect to your first paragraph, that is certainly how I would take it.

With respect to the recall, I think the OP raised a good point. While this sucks butt, it probably hasn't been enough of a safety issue to warrant NHTSA attention and therefore a recall seems unlikely.
you were wrong...as for danger concerns. . there is the concern of getting ran into by suddenly losing speed due to transmission outta gear...its not a fun situation when happening.. Also my nephew wasnt so lucky ...he got tboned over same issue ....im glad Ford was ordered to pay ppl for their mistake...serves them right ...they conned us outta money...so its only right...i dont want money...not out to scam nobody...just want car fixed right.. Simple

·
Registered
211 Posts
Guess

you were wrong...as for danger concerns. . there is the concern of getting ran into by suddenly losing speed due to transmission outta gear...its not a fun situation when happening.. Also my nephew wasnt so lucky ...he got tboned over same issue ....im glad Ford was ordered to pay ppl for their mistake...serves them right ...they conned us outta money...so its only right...i dont want money...not out to scam nobody...just want car fixed right.. Simple
That's a transmission control module issue not the clutches but yes it's still an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

901 - 920 of 927 Posts