Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
So I just took my 2012 focus to the dealership this week because it is shuttering. After having the car for 6 hours they told me they couldn't get it to shutter, but in the same sentence told me it was within limits. I don't understand how bad the shutter has to be before they deal with it. The car shutters so bad it almost stalls in reverse. And I get some shutter once in a while while in drive as I'm just starting to go. I'm confused and I'd what within limits is.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If the rpms jump/fall in excess of 250 during a shudder event and it is not cured by flashing the TCM, then they are supposed to tear the tranny down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh ok gotcha I understand now. I'll have to see how high it jumps or falls but it has to be a lot for me to feel like the car is going to stall when I give it gas. Their tearing things apart in 2 weeks to replace my input shaft seal that's leaking. Hopefully it will fail for them and they can do it all at once.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If they are already replacing the input seal, that will probably do it. I am sure they will update the TCM then as well. Did they say if they were replacing the clutch packs as well?

·
Registered
51 Posts
They didn't say anything about working on the trans other then it's still under warranty until 60k miles. So it didn't sound like they were going to mess with it. I think all their doing is the seal that's leaking. So we will see. I might ask to take a mechanic for a rude because it does it to me like 95% of the time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I called ford today and scheduled an appointment for the 27th. The lady I talked to told me she was seeing more cases of this and she thinks that might be what's wrong with mine! Thank god for extended warranties, my wife will have a nice rental

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
OP - is there any reason the clutches would slip more when the A/C compressor was engaged?
No they wouldn't it is all independent of what is going on with the engine load side. I now have a new I posted about exactly how we are TOLD by Ford to test them and they see the recording so we cant fudge it. So you can see just what we are looking for! I posted it in another thread but I will post here since many asked about it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
No they wouldn't it is all independent of what is going on with the engine load side. I now have a new I posted about exactly how we are TOLD by Ford to test them and they see the recording so we cant fudge it. So you can see just what we are looking for! I posted it in another thread but I will post here since many asked about it.

Roger that. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
shouldn't they fix this issue? I have taken my car in several times and they always tell me it's normal, or the car is learning itself. I am not comfortable driving with this issue. I wish they would do something. This is not normal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found out today that my 2014 Ford Focus SE will need a new clutch. It has 5,800 miles on it!! I have experienced shuddering and jerking along with sluggish acceleration intermittently. Thought this issue would be resolved in the 2014 model, but obviously not! Better luck with the 2015 model? Don't hold your breath! Thanks for posting the video...hopefully I'll get a tranny technician who is this good from my dealership!

·
FF Affiliate
30,479 Posts
Why doesnt Ford fix these issues or most of them ( other then leaking oil ) with the tuning part of the DCT , I have on a bunch of them it works ????

Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently purchased a used low mileage 2012 FOCUS in pristine condition
My last two cars before this have been Foci, I like the car and they have served me well,
no garage time for breakdowns - only the usual service
I was aware of the "new transmission" before I purchased the car and was a little apprehensive but bought it anyway
The first thing I noticed ,and got quite nervous was the car rolling backwards on an incline at a red stoplight Then the clutch studder. Started to read the forum and gleaned alot of information. Talked with my dealer/mechanic- told me to bring it in to check for the oil leak and reflash the computer. Sure enough the clutch/gear was leaking. They replaced the clutch and seals, and whole load of stuff still under warranty and flashed the computer with the new firmware. I thanked them alot and drove out. Well after all that fixing the car bucked liked crazy almost like those mechanical horses in barrooms; worse than before!! Thought- wow this is not good- returned immeditately to the garage. He swore on his mother that after a few days it would remedy itself, and if not he would look into it again. Well after about 4-5 days to my great satisfaction works great, no bucking/studder extremely smooth gear shifts,no gearbox noise- feels very sporty, and does not roll backwards on incline!!
The mechanic was correct; after flashing or reseting the cars's computer- the thing does have a learning period and I am satisfied with my garage's service and the car

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Why doesnt Ford fix these issues or most of them ( other then leaking oil ) with the tuning part of the DCT , I have on a bunch of them it works ????

Tom
Isn't saying, "other than the leaking oil" a bit like saying, "except for the ending, how did you enjoy the play Mr. Lincoln?"

21 - 40 of 920 Posts