Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 927 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have the 2014 Focus and can confirm the same issue. It started at 9000 miles for me. Took it to the dealership and they reprogrammed the TCM. It seemed to be fixed for a few hundred miles, but the issue returned. Took the car back to the dealership again. The issue was intermittent at first, but now was occuring on a more regular basis. Dealership said it would need to be doing the issue at the time I brought it in to get it fixed. Took it back a 3rd time and now they say, "oh yeah, that is a known issue, we have to replace your clutch". But, sorry, that will be 2 months from now because there are over 100 cars in front of you needing the same repair and the part is on backorder. Now the issue is so bad it seems dangerous to even drive my car. It acts like it is going to stall when starting out and even went into nuetral once while shifting from 1st to 2nd. (Had to stop in the middle of the intersection to reset the transmission). I am going to go back in to the dealership this week and see if they will either find a way to service the vehicle now, or provide me a loaner. Very frustrating! (This is my first new car purchase and I am regretting it more and more...)
sorry, that will be 2 months from now because there are over 100 cars in front of you needing the same repair and the part is on backorder.

I have lost count how many ways it has been said that parts are back ordered for months and there are serious backlogs just repairing them all.

Mistakes happen, defects happen, but Fords response on this transmission is a travesty.

The only honest, caring, hard-working people I've seen are the Ford reps here at this board.

up until last year, I saw a lot of posts from other owners who strongly felt this problem as a very small percent of production. I'm no longer a buyer of that line of thinking.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... The only honest, caring, hard-working people I've seen are the Ford reps here at this board. ...
You keep saying that, but I'm sure there are lots of other hard-working people at Ford and their dealerships who care about customers and want to get this problem fixed for everyone. All it takes is a few in the right (wrong?) places who have other priorities to mess it up for everyone.

... up until last year, I saw a lot of posts from other owners who strongly felt this problem as a very small percent of production. I'm no longer a buyer of that line of thinking.
A backlog just means there is more demand than supply, but still leaves us guessing about how big that demand is. Reports from dealer techs on the volume of DCT repairs are probably a better indicator, though still anecdotal.

Considering how many Mk3 Focuses are being produced, it does not have to be a big percentage of production to be a big number. Even if it really is a small percentage of total production, what matters more is how that percentage compares to its competitors. One percent sounds small, but if everyone else has one tenth as many failures, that's pretty bad.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hi rodycayl,

Has your grandpa called into our Customer Relationship Center?

Phone: 1-800-392-3673 OR 1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. EST (Monday-Friday) / 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. EST (Saturday)

Meagan

I'm not sure, but to clarify- the issue was found to be the clutch back in January (I believe he barely had 3k miles on it) but the like other members on here have stated, the part is on back order and they couldn't fix it until sometime this month. As much as I like Ford, it's hard to understand why Ford doesn't have a better grasp on this DCT problem. Fortunately I opted for the 5 speed manual and avoided any problem like this.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You keep saying that, but I'm sure there are lots of other hard-working people at Ford and their dealerships who care about customers and want to get this problem fixed for everyone. All it takes is a few in the right (wrong?) places who have other priorities to mess it up for everyone.

A backlog just means there is more demand than supply, but still leaves us guessing about how big that demand is. Reports from dealer techs on the volume of DCT repairs are probably a better indicator, though still anecdotal.

Considering how many Mk3 Focuses are being produced, it does not have to be a big percentage of production to be a big number. Even if it really is a small percentage of total production, what matters more is how that percentage compares to its competitors. One percent sounds small, but if everyone else has one tenth as many failures, that's pretty bad.
Arko, I agree its not all dealers, from the posts here I see about one in 20 who got good immediate service.
As to the backlog, I disagree. This problem is three years old, any company I ever heard of has had time to ramp up production of the replacement parts so heavily in demand.
....another poster hear mad a good case why Ford just doesn't care on this issue and he convinced me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
So just to clarify, on the 2013 models, is the issue the clutch & not the transmission? In other words, my 2013 with 10k miles sputters the majority of the time I accelerate. I've learned to just deal with it, but what (if anything) is being replaced to stop the sputtering? If that's just how it's going to drive, then so be it. I'll just drive mine for a few more years & buy a 2017-18 model,

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So just to clarify, on the 2013 models, is the issue the clutch & not the transmission? In other words, my 2013 with 10k miles sputters the majority of the time I accelerate. I've learned to just deal with it, but what (if anything) is being replaced to stop the sputtering? If that's just how it's going to drive, then so be it. I'll just drive mine for a few more years & buy a 2017-18 model,
no way, you do not have to 'just put up with it'
if the dealer drags their feet like many of them do, please seek out Meagan the Ford rep here at this board.
she will help you

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'm not sure, but to clarify- the issue was found to be the clutch back in January (I believe he barely had 3k miles on it) but the like other members on here have stated, the part is on back order and they couldn't fix it until sometime this month. As much as I like Ford, it's hard to understand why Ford doesn't have a better grasp on this DCT problem. Fortunately I opted for the 5 speed manual and avoided any problem like this.
Thanks for getting back to me. Do you have access to your Grandpa's information? I can look into this a bit further. I'll need the VIN, mileage, full name & best daytime phone number of the registered owner, and dealer name/location sent via PM. If he'd be more comfortable taking care of it himself or speaking with someone on the phone right away, I recommend he call our CRC.

Meagan

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Arko, I agree its not all dealers, ...
Nor all employees at Ford Motor Company.

... from the posts here I see about one in 20 who got good immediate service. ...
Maybe that ratio is accurate, or maybe (as many others before me have pointed out) it just shows that people are more likely to report bad service than good. There could be many more who got theirs fixed who didn't know they're supposed to report that to us. ;) We can only guess.

... As to the backlog, I disagree. ...
Well, if there were sufficient supply to meet the demand, there would be no backlog. Since there is a backlog, the demand must be greater than the supply. How can you disagree with that? [scratch] We can conclude that more are needed to perform repairs than they had planned for, but it does not tell us how many more they needed to plan on.

...This problem is three years old, any company I ever heard of has had time to ramp up production of the replacement parts so heavily in demand. ...
And since Ford has not, they have the backlog. I agree with you that it seems strange that Ford has not ramped up more and sooner, but we still cannot deduce how big the demand is just from the supply being insufficient. It could just be that whoever should be increasing the supply is incompetent. It happens. Seems more likely to me that it is because the demand is either way bigger than they planned on, or keeps increasing faster than they can revise their plans, but I can't prove that just from the fact that there is a big and longstanding backlog.

....another poster hear mad a good case why Ford just doesn't care on this issue and he convinced me.
I missed that. Which case are you referring to? By "this issue" you must mean the the parts backlog, because someone did care enough to come up with revisions B through F, which required some effort. And, which you think may be the solution, however belated.

I hope that is true, but it will take a bit longer before I'm as convinced as you seem to be that "F"/"E" is the final solution. Just 'cause they seem to be lasting longer than earlier versions doesn't prove that they won't still fail sooner than they should. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Nor all employees at Ford Motor Company.

Maybe that ratio is accurate, or maybe (as many others before me have pointed out) it just shows that people are more likely to report bad service than good. There could be many more who got theirs fixed who didn't know they're supposed to report that to us. ;) We can only guess.

Well, if there were sufficient supply to meet the demand, there would be no backlog. Since there is a backlog, the demand must be greater than the supply. How can you disagree with that? [scratch] We can conclude that more are needed to perform repairs than they had planned for, but it does not tell us how many more they needed to plan on.

And since Ford has not, they have the backlog. I agree with you that it seems strange that Ford has not ramped up more and sooner, but we still cannot deduce how big the demand is just from the supply being insufficient. It could just be that whoever should be increasing the supply is incompetent. It happens. Seems more likely to me that it is because the demand is either way bigger than they planned on, or keeps increasing faster than they can revise their plans, but I can't prove that just from the fact that there is a big and longstanding backlog.

I missed that. Which case are you referring to? By "this issue" you must mean the the parts backlog, because someone did care enough to come up with revisions B through F, which required some effort. And, which you think may be the solution, however belated.

I hope that is true, but it will take a bit longer before I'm as convinced as you seem to be that "F"/"E" is the final solution. Just 'cause they seem to be lasting longer than earlier versions doesn't prove that they won't still fail sooner than they should. Only time will tell.
good points all, don't remember the poster or I'd look him up.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
If you decide to head to your dealer to get this looked into, please let me know. I'll check out some options.

no way, you do not have to 'just put up with it'
if the dealer drags their feet like many of them do, please seek out Meagan the Ford rep here at this board.
she will help you
Thanks!

Meagan

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan two weeks ago, was a personal lease with 6600 miles on it. The transmission is shuddering, didn't think anything of it, had my window actuator replaced under warranty this week, picked up my car this afternoon and now the transmission is not doing the shuddering. Was there a computer update that helps solve this issue? (Car has 7400 miles on it now in 2 weeks)

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
In some cases an update can make a large difference, others not.

It's one of the first steps taken to see what results that achieves when a problem is noted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan two weeks ago, was a personal lease with 6600 miles on it. The transmission is shuddering, didn't think anything of it, had my window actuator replaced under warranty this week, picked up my car this afternoon and now the transmission is not doing the shuddering. Was there a computer update that helps solve this issue? (Car has 7400 miles on it now in 2 weeks)
JimFromFL,

Did you ask the dealership to address the shuddering issue? It's possible that even if you didn't ask, they re-flashed the TCM anyways since it is under warranty (or is it?)

If it starts shuddering again I would take it back in, if you have a 2012 with only 7400 miles on it, it's possible the car hasn't had the updated seals installed and the revised clutch pack, I would want to have that done at least for peace of mind...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like the dealer took care of the shuddering? Please let me know if you're still experiencing the symptoms, or if it was resolved. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like the dealer took care of the shuddering? Please let me know if you're still experiencing the symptoms, or if it was resolved. :)

Meagan
It hasn't done the shuddering since I picked it up yesterday, I've only put maybe 25 miles on the car since then. I'm going to do another 2 hour drive this weekend and to see if can be replicated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had the clutches replace on my 13 recently. In the last couple of weeks I had to travel from Vancouver Island to southern Ontario, 4,800 kms , 3000 miles each way. The new clutches worked perfectly. The parts backlog maybe regionalized as here it took my dealer in Nanaimo it took less than an week from my first compliant to my Focus being in the shop for repairs.
Another thing which you may have not taken into account about the problem is that only a very small number of the Focus owner are members of this forum.
everyone keep on with the posts as I enjoy reading them all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my clutches/seals replaced over a year ago on my 2012 Focus SE Hatchback. I guess it was okay for a month or so? Then the shuddering/jerky shifting (especially at low speeds) came back with a vengeance. I have taken it back to Ford about five times since then. First they did the reprogramming. No luck. Next few times they said everything was acting normal. Then I brought it back to them today. I was a bit shocked by what the service rep told me. He at least finally admitted that I'm not the only one with this problem and basically said that there's currently no fix for it.

I explained that in two weeks I'm going to be moving across the country and will be driving my Focus. (shipping most of my stuff) I said I really want to know if I'm going to make it to which he replied "I wish I had a crystal ball to tell you".

No 'crystal ball' should be necessary when you're talking about a 2012 car with 42,000 miles on it and it's very scary considering I'm going to have my cat with me on the trip. They are "looking at it" now, but he told me not to expect anything at all. I got the feeling he did not even really want me to leave it with him since there's "no fix". I have noticed that added weight/passengers in the car exacerbates the issue a lot. I guess I'll wait to hear what they say today, but I know what to expect; nothing

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I had my clutches/seals replaced over a year ago on my 2012 Focus SE Hatchback. I guess it was okay for a month or so? Then the shuddering/jerky shifting (especially at low speeds) came back with a vengeance. I have taken it back to Ford about five times since then. First they did the reprogramming. No luck. Next few times they said everything was acting normal. Then I brought it back to them today. I was a bit shocked by what the service rep told me. He at least finally admitted that I'm not the only one with this problem and basically said that there's currently no fix for it.

I explained that in two weeks I'm going to be moving across the country and will be driving my Focus. (shipping most of my stuff) I said I really want to know if I'm going to make it to which he replied "I wish I had a crystal ball to tell you".

No 'crystal ball' should be necessary when you're talking about a 2012 car with 42,000 miles on it and it's very scary considering I'm going to have my cat with me on the trip. They are "looking at it" now, but he told me not to expect anything at all. I got the feeling he did not even really want me to leave it with him since there's "no fix". I have noticed that added weight/passengers in the car exacerbates the issue a lot. I guess I'll wait to hear what they say today, but I know what to expect; nothing
you should get help from Meagan the ford rep here and try to get revision F (if it applies to your model year)

After 3 years reading posts here, I have yet to see a revision F owner come back and say it failed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you should get help from Meagan the ford rep here and try to get revision F (if it applies to your model year)

After 3 years reading posts here, I have yet to see a revision F owner come back and say it failed.
Thanks. I actually gave my service rep a call while the car was still in the shop and asked if they could install the revision F. They're gonna do it! I'll provide an update after I get it back and drive it for a couple of days.

P.S. How long has the revision F clutch been available? He acted like it just came out a few weeks ago?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks. I actually gave my service rep a call while the car was still in the shop and asked if they could install the revision F. They're gonna do it! I'll provide an update after I get it back and drive it for a couple of days.

P.S. How long has the revision F clutch been available? He acted like it just came out a few weeks ago?
it is not quite that new but it has been out for at least a few months.
I have followed owners posts for 3 years here and revision F is the first one where I haven't seen owners come back and say it failed "again".

please check your receipt details after the repair and keep us posted here at this forum how things work out.

This has been a long journey for owners who had the problems, and the prior 5 clutch fix versions are proof.

Thankfully we are far beyond the "everything is normal" memo that Ford passed out and many owners believed.

Now, three years later, those so=called "normal" problems are being addressed.

A properly operating dual clutch tranny should be almost unnoticeable.

201 - 220 of 927 Posts