Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
saved from the grave
6,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am actively searching for a car for my daughter heading to college and have found a 2012 Titanium hatchback with the DPS6 transmission. After all my research, I am not sure if this car to spend $$$ on........Good news it, it does only have 23k miles on it. Build date is 7/11/2011 (Michigan Plant) per Etis. According to TSB 14-0131, it may have some extended warranty on certain transmission parts. I have yet to pull the Carfax, but the vehicle is being sold by a Ford dealer near me and I will be visiting them tomorrow.

Should I not even consider it, or at least check with the dealer to see if the transmission TSB's, TCM reflashes and any repairs to the transmission has been made? Or does it not matter and issues will likely arise even if fixes have been made? Are these DPS6 transmissions ever going to be reliable? Thanks for any help or insight as to fixes, Jon

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The DPS6 transmission itself is very reliable. The problems are with the clutches and TCM, which are actually separate components from the transmission.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2012 Titanium with the DCT. I've been to a Ford dealer 15 times for my car. Clutch pack replaced 4 times. Entire transmission replaced once. Do not buy that car.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Buy it get a great deal----the DCT is extended in that year---a tune may help you get it to 250k miles ----cheap reliable transportation! have 87k miles now

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd pass. I didn't trust the setup enough to buy one for my wife. The MT-equipped Focuses (Foci?) seem to be reliable. Also, it's a six year old car with 23k on it...that's only 320mi/month. That low of mileage per month might have put a lot more wear on both the engine and transmission than a 2012 with 50k on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Buy it and drive the piss out of it the clutch will never shudder. If people didn't drive them like automatics (they aren't, they are electrically controlled manuals) they run fine.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Computer controlled clutch so still is identified as an automatic transmission and not to be confused with gear selection and clutch manually controlled by the driver.

I passed on the transmission when they were new since this forum already gave off a foreboding feel about the DCT back in 2012 plus I like rowing gears and the DCT just isn't as quick as the reliable 5 speed.
Teach your daughter to drive a manual and she'll have a skill 90% of her peers won't possess.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There is no problem with the DCT Clutches in my opinion

Tom
Now we're starting to see problems with clutch actuator levers failing....

Teach your daughter to drive a manual and she'll have a skill 90% of her peers won't possess.
She'll also have a skill that 90% of DCT Focus owners don't have.... The ability to drive the car without destroying a clutch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Now we're starting to see problems with clutch actuator levers failing....

She'll also have a skill that 90% of DCT Focus owners don't have.... The ability to drive the car without destroying a clutch.
Sounds like one way or another these cars are going to always have transmission related problems.

·
Registered
771 Posts
So did you end up buying the car? Any 2012 with only 23k Miles is likely a very clean vehicle, however after owning & driving my current 2013 Titanium, I don’t think I’d ever buy another one. Yes, I like the way my car looks & handles, but it’s just a strange accelerating vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts