Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 2870 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
And we've had several European built VW's in the past with many issues as well. Anyway, I'm not here to debate who makes better cars. Just want to fix this one so I can enjoy it. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Well, been driving in my car for a couple days now and it still makes the same sounds. The lead technician at Park Cities Ford told me that the sound was definitely not normal although they have heard it in a few Focus vehicles with 1K + miles, but they only tested Titaniums with Sport packaged.

I didn't know the problem extended all the way to the S models. To be honest, that's pretty scary because it sounds like a model-wide issue. I agree about the parts replacements, clearly if you replace one defective part with another defective part then you're exactly where you started. My Focus has a brand new front end and the noise is just a knocking away. Really discouraging.

Oh, and the dealer requested a Ford field engineer to come overlook the repairs and help with the issues but Ford denied this request.

Here's a new Ford tagline: "Ford, we put customers last."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is it possible to make a list of all parts that have been changed per model in order to single out the defective part.

We can do it per suspension type.

In my case Ti: (parts that were changed but did not sove the problem)

Strut
Strut Bearing
Strut Mount
Sway Bar Link

Please copy the above and add to it if you have this vehicle.

or somebody can make a new thred with a survey (a bar represents a part changed)

Since Ford is not helping us, we need to help eachother.

Thank you.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Can you hear the same knock when you go slow over speed bumps? I hear what appears to be my shocks and or springs and a similar noise when going over uneven pavement in a turn.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can anyone who previously had the issue resolved with an engine mount replacement chime in? I counted 4 or 5 posts earlier in the thread where people claimed that replacing the front passenger engine mount solved this issue. I'm interested to see if the noise has returned at all in any of these people's cars. I'm sure the answers would be helpful to those of us who have yet to find a viable solution.

Beyond the fact that we all have to assume that we're experiencing the same issue, I am starting to think it has to be the engine mount or away bar. I was in an underground parking lot this afternoon and I could hear the rattle loud and clear with every shift of weight the car made as I made my way down the ramps towards the exit. If it was related to the struts or springs (mine have been changed) I think that with a careful ear, one would still be able to hear the symptomatic noises even at moderate speeds whereas most people have mentioned that they are only hearing these noises at low speeds. I think that perhaps the weight or natural gravitational pull of the car at higher speeds reduces or eliminates the symptom as the weight of the engine is more or less static as to where it's sitting. When slowing down however, the weight shifts thus causing the noise. For me it happens most when I'm breaking but also when going over bumps or really uneven pavement.

I'm going back to the dealer this week and I'll plead with them to change the front passenger motor mount and check the end links for adequate grease from the factory. Hopefully we are all close to a solution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well ladies and gentlemen,

Hang tight, as mentioned in an earlier post, I have an appointment with a lead engineer on Tuesday 04/24/12 to go over the nosies that the vehicle is making. I am really curious to see if he will try to weasel his way out by the "it's normal" routine or if he will clearly admit there is an issue. If he says "it's normal" I will have the dealership pull a new one off the lot and show him that there is no knocking noise when turn the wheel from one direction to another and there are no clunks/rattles over bumps. As soon as I complete the visit and get home from work, I will post our findings immediately.

Thanks all for the responses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my case the noise is very very loud when turning right. Once the noise starts, you can hear it over speed bumps as well. The only strange thing is that is occurs more after the car has been running for a while.

It is important to note that although the noise is three going forward it is very loud while turning. Like the above post, yes the noise can be heard while the weight of the car is shifting; in my case under braking.

A week ago I took the latest built Focus, new car off the truck, for a ride and it behaves very differently; no noises what so ever. I took the car to see if I can reproduce the noises same as mine on the exact same curbs and nothing, very quiet. Also all new cars have the new sat nav os installed already.

·
Registered
454 Posts
They may have some of the most state of the art facilities, but that doesn't mean excellent quality parts. Why do you think VW pulled out of Mexico on some vehicles. I had a 2000 VW Cabrio (mexico built) soooo many electrical issues. a yr or so later VW Cabrio built back in Eu.
*bingo*

·
Registered
454 Posts
110% agreed Allyy, I've said the same thing for many months now. No matter how many times they reach into the same bin for a replacement part it is always going to be the same junk that the cars originally came with until enough people lodge a complaint and they issue either another TSB or a recall and redesign the parts that may be causing the probem. But, I don't think they want to admit they have a problem because if the do, they will lose a lot of coin by issuing the recalls.
That's a lot of coins... [:)]

But let's say they do come out with a cross-compatible component that fixes the issues, they could probably retro-fit the 2012 Focus and the amount of money lost would be far less by comparison, brand recognition and loyalty would skyrocket because they were conscious of a problem and fixed it for customers, even if it took a little while... And not everyone with this model is experiencing "the problem" to begin with...

I'm not sure if Ford is consciously trying to hide anything... and, surely, if they had, the repercussions could be far, far worse, especially if somebody got injured or killed and it was due to a transmission? But that's hyperbole... but I'm going take them in good faith right now...

To my perception, most of it does seem to be controller-related, rather than the mechanical gears, but I'm certainly not a mechanic... someone said it's the mis-matching of the DCT with an engine that can't provide the RPMs at lower gear levels (1, 2), but I still think most of this has to do with the controlling computer in the DCT...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I threw my car up on the lift tonight and lightly tapped a few things with a deadblow hammer to see if I could replicate the noise, but I was unable to find a source of any noise. Everything was tight. I've replaced my springs myself, the struts are visually fine with no seepage or wear, strut bearings are fine and tight, nothing is loose. I've tightened everything down.

The only thing I can't really check are the sway bar bushings, which are up under the subframe. Another source could be the sway bar endlinks.

I checked my LCA bushings, and I saw no premature wear or signs of 'no lubrication.'

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hello everyone,

I see a few new peeps have joined the forum - [welcome]!

Ford continues to address the concerns brought to our engineer’s attention in order to provide the necessary information to the local dealerships. This enables the service department to properly address the symptoms displayed by the Focus.

For those who have not yet done so, please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I will escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Canadian owners are exhorted to visit the local Ford dealer for proper diagnoses and repair. A representative from the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center will be happy to assist once you contact them at 1.800.565.3673.

If you have sent me a PM me and are awaiting a response, thank you for your patience as I work through my inbox; I truly appreciate it!

Noemi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good Evening All,

Well, I had my appointment this afternoon with the Area Service Rep., the owner of the dealership, and the master technician that previously worked on the car.

I described the noises that the car was currently making to them all. We then went for a test drive and both of them admitted that they did hear the noise but that it was a "normal operating characteristic" of this particular model car and is nothing to be concerned with and it does not pose a safety threat.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. It looks like we are on our own and will have to stick together on this issue until one of us or the team of us find a solution to this very annoying problem.

Ya know, I'm thinking to myself, if this is a "normal operating characteristic" then why did they replace of the same front end parts over five times!!!??? Just sayin...

I just think they know there is a problem but they currently do not have a good fix for it so it is just getting swept under the rug.

Would anybody else like to chime in? I am definately open to any comments and/or suggestions here, becuase I have now currently exhausted every option I have at my disposal.

As always, thanks for the input guys....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

I am in the same boat as you. I went to 3 dealers and Ford stated they are out of ideas through the hot line. I have exhausted every option as well.

As mentioned in the previous post, we should make a list of all parts that were changed and did not fix the issue in order to shingle out the defective one.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My SE sport 5 speed just rolled over 1400 miles and I've hearing a squeaky rattle clunk in the front end at low speeds and especially when slowing down to a light or stop sign. Didn't hear it when it was new so I thought I got lucky....it's getting louder by the day and really loud when it warms up like evyerone says.

My wifes SEL sedan with DCT has about 1600 miles and her's is starting to make the same sound....Here we go [eek]

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hello,

I am in the same boat as you. I went to 3 dealers and Ford stated they are out of ideas through the hot line. I have exhausted every option as well.

As mentioned in the previous post, we should make a list of all parts that were changed and did not fix the issue in order to shingle out the defective one.

Thank you.
Maybe make a google doc for all of us to contribute to?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good Evening All,

Well, I had my appointment this afternoon with the Area Service Rep., the owner of the dealership, and the master technician that previously worked on the car.

I described the noises that the car was currently making to them all. We then went for a test drive and both of them admitted that they did hear the noise but that it was a "normal operating characteristic" of this particular model car and is nothing to be concerned with and it does not pose a safety threat.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. It looks like we are on our own and will have to stick together on this issue until one of us or the team of us find a solution to this very annoying problem.

Ya know, I'm thinking to myself, if this is a "normal operating characteristic" then why did they replace of the same front end parts over five times!!!??? Just sayin...

I just think they know there is a problem but they currently do not have a good fix for it so it is just getting swept under the rug.

Would anybody else like to chime in? I am definately open to any comments and/or suggestions here, becuase I have now currently exhausted every option I have at my disposal.

As always, thanks for the input guys....
Check to see thatbthe noise is not comeing from thev radiator overflow tank.
It bounces up and down,not very sturdy . Put a sponge under it or use some duc tape across it to the car and see if thay stops the noise in your front end.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So here's my latest update from this afternoon: My dealer has replaced the following;

1. Strut mount.
2. Strut.
3. CV joint.
4. Right front motor mount.

No dice. Noise is still there. They've been very good about throwing parts at the car but can't seem to find the problem which really sucks. They now have a call into the FMC tech hotline to "report" the issue and see if that gets them anywhere which I highly doubt. At least I wasn't out of a vehicle as they were nice enough to get me a rental for the day but I really am disappointed that this problem has persisted for all of us. I was really hoping that the motor mount would do it but like many others, I'm back to square one. Again, everyone at the dealership and customer service is nice and all but unfortunately "nice" doesn't fix the cling and clang in my brand new car.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would suggest that they look into the sway bar endlinks, and the sway bar bushings on the subframe.

I feel that's where this whole problem is coming from, aside from the possibility of a lower control arm bushing failure, but considering I just inspected mine and saw no signs of wear whatsoever, I don't think that's the case.

Bushings are cheap, the endlinks shouldn't be expensive either (and there are aftermarket solutions out there for both). Since your dealer has taken care of you thus far, see if they'll swap the aforementioned items out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would suggest that they look into the sway bar endlinks, and the sway bar bushings on the subframe.

I feel that's where this whole problem is coming from, aside from the possibility of a lower control arm bushing failure, but considering I just inspected mine and saw no signs of wear whatsoever, I don't think that's the case.

Bushings are cheap, the endlinks shouldn't be expensive either (and there are aftermarket solutions out there for both). Since your dealer has taken care of you thus far, see if they'll swap the aforementioned items out.
Have you had any luck with these suggestions?

161 - 180 of 2870 Posts