Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 2870 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Lipshurt: I know the hood latch rattle, I ended up turning my hood bumpers to quiet the latch noise myself. This is a much louder clunk that comes from the front strut area.

Focus eh: Have them check the sway links, and associated bushings as well. Another poster on here mentioned he had no grease in the lower control arm bushings.

I don't think it's CV axle related.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Focus eh: Have them check the sway links, and associated bushings as well. Another poster on here mentioned he had no grease in the lower control arm bushings.

I don't think it's CV axle related.
The only thing that concerns me is that I recall someone posting that the tech greased the bushings up and that the noise went away for a while but came back within a few weeks. I will let them know though. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tell them to check out the radiator overflow bottle. It is very shackey and jiggles around. It is only mounted with two tabs. any one here with a foci check yours you will see what i am talking about.Its the same one on the mazda 3 and they have the same trouble.[thumb][thankyou]

·
Registered
582 Posts
Im hoping when and if they ever discover the cause to this issue it turns out to be a simple 2 sec fix. Not a major deal where they have to drop the motor or something crazy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello Focus eh,

I have the same problem as you with the same vehicle. So fat the strut, strut mount, strut bearing and sway bar link have been changed on my vehicle. This did not solve my problem. You mentioned that the CV joint will be changed on your car. Please let me know if this helps the situation. I live in the Toronto area as well. What dealer are you going to ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello Focus eh,

I have the same problem as you with the same vehicle. So fat the strut, strut mount, strut bearing and sway bar link have been changed on my vehicle. This did not solve my problem. You mentioned that the CV joint will be changed on your car. Please let me know if this helps the situation. I live in the Toronto area as well. What dealer are you going to ?

Thank you.
I'll keep you posted. I'm going to Erinwood Ford in Mississauga.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tell them to check out the radiator overflow bottle. It is very shackey and jiggles around. It is only mounted with two tabs. any one here with a foci check yours you will see what i am talking about.Its the same one on the mazda 3 and they have the same trouble.[thumb][thankyou]
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Except you got a free loaner during the time they took to replace any number of components.

From what you say it sounds like they've done a lot to try to help so far, and it is a true shame that car was a lemon to begin with.

After x number of issues, why couldn't you ask your dealer - nicely - to exchange the entire vehicle for you? Unlike you, they can probably write it off. Assembly lines are cool, but that doesn't mean there aren't non-repeatable problems.

That's creepy, though, if all Titanium models after x number of miles start doing the same thing...

Ok, first off I did get a loaner yes but in the meantime the loaner got damaged during the hail storms we had in Texas, so now I have to pay to fix it, plus a fee because Enterprise has to take the car out of service and is ultimately losing business, plus a processing fee, plus a diminished value fee so you can see why this whole situation has complicated things and added to my frustration.

That being said, judging by the amount of people that have replied to this post, it's not just a Lemon. There seem to be many cars with the same issue, that's my problem. Ford is telling the dealers that this sound might just be a "normal" sound which is just ludicrous. I did talk to my CSMs supervisor yesterday and all she could recommend was that I take it to another dealership and get a "second opinion."

The dealer did mention that they requested Ford send an engineer to come check out the sound but Ford did not approve this request. So, I'm back at square one. Driving around in a clunker.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Have you ever tried to wrtie off a vehicle, and/or lemon the car? By Ford? You make it sound like you are returning an item at Walmart.

If Ford is not able to fix this issue for the majority of people, and none of he customers have been able to exchange their vehicle, based on what information are you making this statement? Honestly, I feel like you may be a little out of touch with the realities of a Ford dealership/service department.
True, Ford will not "buy back" my vehicle, nor will they help me trade out of it. Basically if I want to trade out of the vehicle I have to take the huge financial fit since it's only 5 months old and carrying a bunch of resulting negative equity. Not to mention, I can't sell it on my own because there's something wrong with it and all service records will show that. I'm screwed either way.

Shame on Ford. I should have got an SE with a manual tranny :(

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
If it is only Ti or SE with Sport package related... wouldnt it be the Struts? I read somewhere that they both have the same touring strut. Only thing they haven't changed in mine is the struts themselves, and the noise is back though not as bad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Afternoon All, sorry i have not chimed in sooner with this thread. I leased a 2012 Focus S sedan with a 5-Speed back in October of 2011. I have had this car for a total of 6 months have put 4,900 miles on it and it has been in the shop over 12 times already and for a total of over 37 calendar days for all attempted repairs. I have been dealing with this clunking/clanking/knocking noise in the front suspension at low speeds, when going over speed bumps, and when going over any uneven surface in the road way since November of 2011. So far, Ford has replaced the upper strut bearings 5 times on both sides, 3 sets of front coil springs, 3 sets of front strut cartridges, a left front lower control arm and ball joint assembly, and the noise is still present. I tried speaking to the Service Manager in the beginning who was and still is very nice but have gotten no where, I then tried speaking to Ford Customer Service and again have gotten no where, I even sat down with the owner of the dealership and explained to him all of the problems I've had with this car and he himself has tried to accomodate me by talking with the service manager, getting the lead tech / shop foreman to look at the vehicle. On my most recent visit, which was between 04/02/12 and 04/09/12, they actually took a brand new 2012 Ford Focus off of the lot and swapped over the entire strut assemblies on the both sides from the new vehicle to my vehicle which included the bearing plates, upper bushings, jounce bumpers, coils springs, the lower spring seat bushings, and the strut themselves and the noise is still present. I have an appointment this coming Tuesday 04/24/12 with a lead engineer / service rep. from Ford to go over the entire vehicle to determine where the problem lies. I have since started a lemon law claim back in December of 2011 and I am scheduled to present my case in September of this year which is still five months away and who knows what else may go wrong with this vehicle between now and then. I am glad to see I am not the only one have these "mysterious front end problems". I will be sure to keep in touch with an update of the visit with the lead engineer on Tuesday. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
So, reading what you've posted there, they haven't replaced the endlinks, sway bar bushings, or motor mounts yet.

And, on top of that, you have an S - I think this is the first time I've seen anything other than an SE Sport, SEL, or Titanium with this problem. I thought it was just limited to models with the aluminum front control arms, but I guess not.

I think I'll be a guinea pig here, and see if I can figure out which poly sway bar bushings are needed, and see if I can swap out the endlinks as well. I think this is a bushing related problem, and not strut related.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Afternoon All, sorry i have not chimed in sooner with this thread. I leased a 2012 Focus S sedan with a 5-Speed back in October of 2011. I have had this car for a total of 6 months have put 4,900 miles on it and it has been in the shop over 12 times already and for a total of over 37 calendar days for all attempted repairs. I have been dealing with this clunking/clanking/knocking noise in the front suspension at low speeds, when going over speed bumps, and when going over any uneven surface in the road way since November of 2011. So far, Ford has replaced the upper strut bearings 5 times on both sides, 3 sets of front coil springs, 3 sets of front strut cartridges, a left front lower control arm and ball joint assembly, and the noise is still present. I tried speaking to the Service Manager in the beginning who was and still is very nice but have gotten no where, I then tried speaking to Ford Customer Service and again have gotten no where, I even sat down with the owner of the dealership and explained to him all of the problems I've had with this car and he himself has tried to accomodate me by talking with the service manager, getting the lead tech / shop foreman to look at the vehicle. On my most recent visit, which was between 04/02/12 and 04/09/12, they actually took a brand new 2012 Ford Focus off of the lot and swapped over the entire strut assemblies on the both sides from the new vehicle to my vehicle which included the bearing plates, upper bushings, jounce bumpers, coils springs, the lower spring seat bushings, and the strut themselves and the noise is still present. I have an appointment this coming Tuesday 04/24/12 with a lead engineer / service rep. from Ford to go over the entire vehicle to determine where the problem lies. I have since started a lemon law claim back in December of 2011 and I am scheduled to present my case in September of this year which is still five months away and who knows what else may go wrong with this vehicle between now and then. I am glad to see I am not the only one have these "mysterious front end problems". I will be sure to keep in touch with an update of the visit with the lead engineer on Tuesday. Thanks guys.
They have to redesign ther parts it doesnt matter how many times they change the struts or bearings and so on . if they are of the exact same parts with the same flaws its not going to take away the clunk it will make the same noise.They are going to have to supercede the old style.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, reading what you've posted there, they haven't replaced the endlinks, sway bar bushings, or motor mounts yet.

And, on top of that, you have an S - I think this is the first time I've seen anything other than an SE Sport, SEL, or Titanium with this problem. I thought it was just limited to models with the aluminum front control arms, but I guess not.

I think I'll be a guinea pig here, and see if I can figure out which poly sway bar bushings are needed, and see if I can swap out the endlinks as well. I think this is a bushing related problem, and not strut related.
That is correct Zillon, my Focus is a plane jane "S" model with the steel front lower control arms, power front windows and crank roll down rear windows... LOL! I just couldn't justify spend the extra coin on an SEL or Ti when I could've gotten a fully loaded 12' Honda Accord EX-L with Navi or a loaded 12' Toyota Camry for around the same price (and with no clunking....scratch that...no problems at all.)....But, then I wouldn't be getting my 36 to 40MPG's. But, I think at this point I would've rather lost a few MPG's knowing that if I went with the Honda or Toyota, the only thing I would have to do are oil chanes and thats it... A little off topic here but, I know Toyota had their fair share of recalls last year but I would still go out and buy one without thinking twice about it. The main reason I went with the Focus was for the great fuel economy. But it doesn't make a difference because out of the 6 months I've had it, I've really only had "possession" of it for about 2 months. The rest of the time its in the shop... :)

And, no, they have not replaced endlinks, sway bar to frame bushings, or motor mounts as of yet...

·
Registered
7 Posts
They have to redesign ther parts it doesnt matter how many times they change the struts or bearings and so on . if they are of the exact same parts with the same flaws its not going to take away the clunk it will make the same noise.They are going to have to supercede the old style.
110% agreed Allyy, I've said the same thing for many months now. No matter how many times they reach into the same bin for a replacement part it is always going to be the same junk that the cars originally came with until enough people lodge a complaint and they issue either another TSB or a recall and redesign the parts that may be causing the probem. But, I don't think they want to admit they have a problem because if the do, they will lose a lot of coin by issuing the recalls.

The strange thing about all of this is, at least regarding my problem, is that the car is super quiet when cold and no noises occur, after the car warms up and you have been driving about 5 to 10 miles is when the noises start to occur. Also, I recently developed a very loud knocking noise coming from either the steering column area or the front end, kind of hard to determine where just yet, when you turn the steering wheel from left to right or right to left as well. I'm not sure if it is a new seperate issue, or if it is related to work that was just recently performed.... I brought this noise to the dealer's service manager attention on Thursday and he said "it is barely noticable" and it is a "normal characteristic of a european sport tuned suspension". I disagree with what he says majorly. I understand that in a "smaller" vehicle you will feel the bumps more than in a luxury liner highway crusier, I understrand that with a sport tuned suspension your ride will be a bit stiffer so you can enjoy hugging the turns, but I have NEVER driven a car with loud knock like this when turning the wheel in either direction.

I know the Fiesta's have a TSB regarding a similar noise when turning the wheel in either direction and what a suprise the TSB says to replace the steering shaft, but apperently the Focus does not fall under that TSB. I am kind of curious, wouldn't it be funny to find out that steering shaft in the Fiesta is the same shaft used in the Focus? Just a thought...

I mean I have good things to say about the Focus too. It looks sharp, engine and trans. wise it runs well for what it is and has just about the most horsepower in its class, it hugs the road very nice. I just think this was a new model that was rushed into production with making sure all of the bugs were worked out of it.

You know, I laugh when I see the car commercials on tv that say built in the USA with Pride, while that may be true, even though it may be assembled here, where do you think the parts to assemble it are coming from??? China, Mexico, Taiwan, Indonesia, etc.... Does anyone else agree?

·
Registered
27 Posts
110% agreed Allyy, I've said the same thing for many months now. No matter how many times they reach into the same bin for a replacement part it is always going to be the same junk that the cars originally came with until enough people lodge a complaint and they issue either another TSB or a recall and redesign the parts that may be causing the probem. But, I don't think they want to admit they have a problem because if the do, they will lose a lot of coin by issuing the recalls.

The strange thing about all of this is, at least regarding my problem, is that the car is super quiet when cold and no noises occur, after the car warms up and you have been driving about 5 to 10 miles is when the noises start to occur. Also, I recently developed a very loud knocking noise coming from either the steering column area or the front end, kind of hard to determine where just yet, when you turn the steering wheel from left to right or right to left as well. I'm not sure if it is a new seperate issue, or if it is related to work that was just recently performed.... I brought this noise to the dealer's service manager attention on Thursday and he said "it is barely noticable" and it is a "normal characteristic of a european sport tuned suspension". I disagree with what he says majorly. I understand that in a "smaller" vehicle you will feel the bumps more than in a luxury liner highway crusier, I understrand that with a sport tuned suspension your ride will be a bit stiffer so you can enjoy hugging the turns, but I have NEVER driven a car with loud knock like this when turning the wheel in either direction.

I know the Fiesta's have a TSB regarding a similar noise when turning the wheel in either direction and what a suprise the TSB says to replace the steering shaft, but apperently the Focus does not fall under that TSB. I am kind of curious, wouldn't it be funny to find out that steering shaft in the Fiesta is the same shaft used in the Focus? Just a thought...

I mean I have good things to say about the Focus too. It looks sharp, engine and trans. wise it runs well for what it is and has just about the most horsepower in its class, it hugs the road very nice. I just think this was a new model that was rushed into production with making sure all of the bugs were worked out of it.

You know, I laugh when I see the car commercials on tv that say built in the USA with Pride, while that may be true, even though it may be assembled here, where do you think the parts to assemble it are coming from??? China, Mexico, Taiwan, Indonesia, etc.... Does anyone else agree?
Not sure about all the countries that produce automotive parts for north American automakers but Mexico for example has some of the most state of the art facilities in the world. I doubt that this issue has anything to do with which country the parts are manufactured in.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
They may have some of the most state of the art facilities, but that doesn't mean excellent quality parts. Why do you think VW pulled out of Mexico on some vehicles. I had a 2000 VW Cabrio (mexico built) soooo many electrical issues. a yr or so later VW Cabrio built back in Eu.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I will never, ever again buy a car that was assembled in Mexico. Once was enough.
My 2008 Saturn Vue was plagued with issues from the word go.

141 - 160 of 2870 Posts