Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 2870 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
HornedFrog05,

Wouldn't this issue be covered under the Lemon Law and allow you to get out of the car and get your money back?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
The mileage is 5355 miles. It's been in the shop 4 times:

1st - Transmission needed to be reprogrammed (in service for 3 days)

2nd - Front end noise (in service for 6 days)

3rd - Intelligent Access not working on drivers side (in service for 1 day)

4th (current) - Front end noise (in service since 3/30) and service manager said the whole front suspension has been rebuilt and the sound is still prominent.

I'm looking into Lemon law but it'd be nice if Ford acknowledged the issue and would assist with a buy back or trade in. By the size of this thread it seems like more than just my vehicle is affected.

So frustrated, I really want to like this car but it's so difficult when it's less than 5 months old and it's been in the shop a total of 30days since I bought it in November.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok. Mine is 19,000 miles. What is interesting it may be the Sport Suspension package they put Standard on the Titanium’s. Not all of the lower end models have this suspension. I have a 2012 SEL Focus as a rental, it has 25k on it and there is no front end noise as my Titanium has. Mine has been in the shop for 8 days now for the Sunroof and this issue.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Ok. Mine is 19,000 miles. What is interesting it may be the Sport Suspension package they put Standard on the Titanium’s. Not all of the lower end models have this suspension. I have a 2012 SEL Focus as a rental, it has 25k on it and there is no front end noise as my Titanium has. Mine has been in the shop for 8 days now for the Sunroof and this issue.
There's definitely an issue with the Sport Suspension of the Titanium, I'm just so upset that FMC won't acknowledge the apparent massive amount of issues that this specific package is having on the overall performance of the Focus.

Between this and all the previous issues I've had with it (not to mention the completely awful MFT that comes standard with the Titanium), I'm wishing I would have just got a SE with a 5spd tranny or a completely different vehicle all together.

I've been a Ford customer for a long time (first ride was a '98 Ford Ranger) and until now I've been completely satisfied but at this point I'm over Ford.

·
Registered
582 Posts

4th (current) - Front end noise (in service since 3/30) and service manager said the whole front suspension has been rebuilt and the sound is still prominent.

I'm looking into Lemon law but it'd be nice if Ford acknowledged the issue and would assist with a buy back or trade in. By the size of this thread it seems like more than just my vehicle is affected.

So frustrated, I really want to like this car but it's so difficult when it's less than 5 months old and it's been in the shop a total of 30days since I bought it in November.
Thats truly unacceptable. I can certainly see where you would feel the way you do about this situation. I would say you clearly have more than enough of a basis to pursue the Lemon Law.

I love everything about my car but I too have that little knock sound from the front end but its only if I have the radio completely turned down, and I'm going over uneven pavement in a turn. I cannot always reproduce it. It sounds like a lose Shock bolt or something. I'm astonished Ford having your car for so long could not find a fix for it. I can only hope that one day there is a fix and a TSB on this issue. Until then its minor for me. Yours must have been very loud and that would have drove me crazy as well. I can't stand rattle and buzz sounds. Eerks my OCD / ADD lol.

Perhaps if you do pursue the LL you might motivate someone up in the higher ranks of Ford that will authorize some action that leads to your complete satisfaction, whether that be a real fix that leads to resolving this issue once and for all for all of us or they buy back your car.

Keep us updated though, I'd be curious to see how this turns out for ya.

Best of luck man!.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Thats truly unacceptable. I can certainly see where you would feel the way you do about this situation. I would say you clearly have more than enough of a basis to pursue the Lemon Law.

I love everything about my car but I too have that little knock sound from the front end but its only if I have the radio completely turned down, and I'm going over uneven pavement in a turn. I cannot always reproduce it. It sounds like a lose Shock bolt or something. I'm astonished Ford having your car for so long could not find a fix for it. I can only hope that one day there is a fix and a TSB on this issue. Until then its minor for me. Yours must have been very loud and that would have drove me crazy as well. I can't stand rattle and buzz sounds. Eerks my OCD / ADD lol.

Perhaps if you do pursue the LL you might motivate someone up in the higher ranks of Ford that will authorize some action that leads to your complete satisfaction, whether that be a real fix that leads to resolving this issue once and for all for all of us or they buy back your car.

Keep us updated though, I'd be curious to see how this turns out for ya.

Best of luck man!.

Thanks, I will most definitely keep FF updated as to my situation.

The sound is very loud to a point where passengers have asked if everything was alright with my car. It went away slightly after I first took it into the shop but it's been increasing in volume ever since and I'm like you, sounds bother me! I guess I'll just have to crank up the tunes on the rocking sound system to cover up the noises (sadly SONY is responsible for the one amazing aspect of the vehicle)

·
Registered
209 Posts

Get a way from that dealer . There has to be other Ford dealers near you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

I have posted a note previously about a severe front end clanking with my 2012 Ford Focus (9000 kilometers).

You can find the problem description here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4101909#post4101909

Unacceptable behavior from Ford:

Dealer diagnosed loud clanking sound, it is very severe it is mainly when you take turns and pass over curbs but sounds very troubling.

Dealer acknowledges there is a problem, kept car for 4 days. Checked car visually but did not see anything under it. Contacted Ford of Canada mechanic Hot Line and Ford told them not to change any parts.

Their solution (Hot Line) was to re-torque all the screws in the front end of the car. Of course it did not work. The noise is very loud and there is clearly a broken part there.

Everybody acknowledges there is a problem and Ford told the dealer to not change any parts.

I am stuck with a broken 33k USD vehicle that makes horrible clanking noises (that is right this vehicle in Canada is 33k USD) and Ford does not want to change any parts?

Is this why there is a mechanic Hot Line so they can tell the dealer not to change any parts? Why is Ford not guiding the dealer to a successful repair? My noise makes my vehicle almost un-drivable.

I forgot to mention, that I went to 2 other dealers for the same problem to get different opinions. Both dealers eventually Hot Lined the problem and got the same response. One of the dealers even performed the suspension TSB (strut, mount and sway bar bushing) and it did nothing.

I have already given my VIN number to Ford on this forum a week ago or so. I have got not responses so far.

Has anybody in Canada had any luck with the suspension problems?

Thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not yet but mine will be going in on Friday to have the one of the strut mounts replaced so I'll keep you all posted on the results. At least my dealer acknowledged the sound and is committed to solving the issue. They are leaning towards it being a strut related issue rather then an engine mount issue but we'll see....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Please let me know if your dealer fixes the issue. And please let me know what dealer you went to and I will go to the same one.

Thank you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Im on this topic like a hawk now guys! My Ti has a slight noise up front, it to me sounds like the tranny finding a gear ( which i know its not when im in fist gear under 10mph) nothing as major sounding as most of yours but its there just cant put my ear on it fully yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those who think its the tranny it's most definitely not. I think for those who aren't used to a DCT it can be a little daunting at first and to me it really feels like driving an automatic without a physical clutch as it performs differently depending on when you push it or accelerate etc. And can sometimes be a little jumpy or make a little noise. This issue is strut or mount related. I do find it disconcerting coming from a foreign manufacturer for my last car, that FMC has yet to address this but I'm hoping they will as other than this I absolutely love the car. Here's hoping my day at the dealership tomorrow bears some positive fruit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Doesn't seem like we've heard from Noemi in a while either so perhaps she's trying to escalate this for us and those it will happen to in the future. This needs to be addressed by an engineer as it simply shouldn't be happening.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I took my Focus Titanium in to the shop on March 30th 2012 for a front end noise over bumps at slow speeds under 20mph (this was the second time it had been in for the same noise) and I just got a call today saying that it is completed.

I will translate this to everyone: by completed they mean they give up. The service manager said that they have replaced every part in the front end (struts, springs, etc.) and they cannot at this time get the sound to go away. Ford engineers have advised them to verify that this noise is consistent with other Focus models with similar mileage and they affirmed.

Basically this means that I'm going to have to deal with this sound? That's just bogus and I have to admit, awful of Ford Motor Company. I have been in a rental for 20 days and they're saying that when my car leaves the shop it will still have the same issues as when I initially took it in? I hate this car more and more everyday and I don't know about everyone else that is having this issue but I sure as heck can't "live with it."

After dealing with the CSM for FMC, I have to say that I am shocked and appalled at how the "new Ford" handles their business and treats their customers. I feel completely used and violated as a customer and I will be taking all future business to another manufacturer.
Except you got a free loaner during the time they took to replace any number of components.

From what you say it sounds like they've done a lot to try to help so far, and it is a true shame that car was a lemon to begin with.

After x number of issues, why couldn't you ask your dealer - nicely - to exchange the entire vehicle for you? Unlike you, they can probably write it off. Assembly lines are cool, but that doesn't mean there aren't non-repeatable problems.

That's creepy, though, if all Titanium models after x number of miles start doing the same thing...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Doesn't seem like we've heard from Noemi in a while either so perhaps she's trying to escalate this for us and those it will happen to in the future. This needs to be addressed by an engineer as it simply shouldn't be happening.
I hope so as well.

Granted, this particular noise issue hasn't happened to me (yet, if ever, as I cannot say conclusively, nor is mine a Titanium), but Noemi did get back to me on the DCT issue I'd brought up way-back-when... I hope she read my reply from a few days ago, of which I was late in responding...

Keep holding the faith.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Except you got a free loaner during the time they took to replace any number of components.

From what you say it sounds like they've done a lot to try to help so far, and it is a true shame that car was a lemon to begin with.

After x number of issues, why couldn't you ask your dealer - nicely - to exchange the entire vehicle for you? Unlike you, they can probably write it off. Assembly lines are cool, but that doesn't mean there aren't non-repeatable problems.

That's creepy, though, if all Titanium models after x number of miles start doing the same thing...
Have you ever tried to wrtie off a vehicle, and/or lemon the car? By Ford? You make it sound like you are returning an item at Walmart.

If Ford is not able to fix this issue for the majority of people, and none of he customers have been able to exchange their vehicle, based on what information are you making this statement? Honestly, I feel like you may be a little out of touch with the realities of a Ford dealership/service department.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So the dealer just called me with the latest update. They replaced one of the strut mounts and that did nothing. Now they're replacing the strut itself so I'll keep you posted. I mentioned that people have claimed that replacing one of the engine mounts has solved the issue (again, for some) but he said that his most senior tech is on it and he's confident that it is not engine mount related (at least on my car) so we'll see what happens. Again, at least they're trying to fix it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Latest update:

Dealer has replaced the strut mount and the strut itself to no avail. They also tried updating the tranny with a software fix which also didn't work. Now they've ordered a CV joint so I guess we'll try that. At this point I'm willing to go in whatever direction they feel is best as they could just as easily say that "it's normal and there's nothing to fix."

To make matters worse, I went through the car wash after picking up the car and the wheel guide took a nice chunk off of my rim. I was beyond LIVID! I've only had the car for 2 weeks. AAARRRGH!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think we should be looking elsewhere, not at the suspension or wheels. All of these people are not morons, that rally is unlikely. It is probably a sound that sounds like its coming from somewhere different from it's actual place of origin.

Did you try turning the two front hood adjusters down a couple of turns? Sounds counterintuitive I know, but so far it's made a difference in mine. When the front adjusters are too high, it makes the hinge area rattle on sharp bumps at slow speed.
Worth a try anyway right?

121 - 140 of 2870 Posts