Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 2870 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same problem with mine. It is from the front right wheel area, clunking/knocking noises at low speeds. First time the dealer machined the rotor, thinking it was a brake issue. So I took it back today for a moonroof leak (during rain) and the knocking issue. They gave me a 2012 SEL Sedan as a loaner. So far I have not heard the knocking noise on the loaner.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The mount was defective. It was found only after struts were replaced. It stumped all the mechanics so they had a guy from detroit diagnose. He held the brakes while rocking it back and forth and found a lot of play. Ford should know they have a problem with some of these.
I am bringing mine in for the noise again. I will have them check the motor mount. Thx for the info

·
Registered
520 Posts
From what another focus Owner said was the noise was from the lower control arm. There was no grease from the factory and the noise was gone. I have not seen any post about the problem since.

It was screen name: bobakman
Interesting ... well after I took my car in 3 months ago the sound has not stopped. But when I took my snow tires off a few weeks ago I noticed the inside of the front driver rim was covered in grease. I am thinking they squirted a bunch of grease in a grease fitting and it is overflowing. (I did not know cars had grease fittings anymore.) I am not really sure but I am bringing my car back soon.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Interesting ... well after I took my car in 3 months ago the sound has not stopped. But when I took my snow tires off a few weeks ago I noticed the inside of the front driver rim was covered in grease. I am thinking they squirted a bunch of grease in a grease fitting and it is overflowing. (I did not know cars had grease fittings anymore.) I am not really sure but I am bringing my car back soon.
I read that a while back and have not heard of him having any more noise either. I think it was few pages back. he provided pics too.

In general people should read through the OP post before posting. Saves time and you don't look like morons.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I poked around a bit but with the car sitting on the wheels, not on a lift.

I may have found the main rattle....

It could be the plastic liner inside the wheel well. If you flick your finger on it I makes he rattling sound. I insulated each side with some rubber, and I believe it is for sure much better. I did it two days ago, and still feels like its vastly improved. Occasionally I will hear what sounds like the very beginning of he rattle sound, but it does not have any sustained sound.

I also adjusted the hood, and insulated the hood, because it also made the same rattling sound if you tapped certain ways. I did not notice anything from that tough.

I will live with this for a while and update in a few more days. Crossing my fingers:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had mine in to the dealer today for this problem. Its in the computer from ford. Changed springs and both front shocks and it seems to be ok.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just had mine fixed today at the dealer. Its in the computer. Change both front shocks and springs and its fixed. Mine seems to be good now I just picked it up today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Approaching 7500 mi and I've just started noticing the same rattle/clunking sound coming from the driver's side front area at low speeds.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
So I am here at north county ford in vista ca, getting my first oil change, and to have them fix the rattle.
Sure enough the guy says that he can't reproduce the sound...
Hey Lipshurt,

I’m available to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

I am having the same problem with mine. It is from the front right wheel area, clunking/knocking noises at low speeds. First time the dealer machined the rotor...
Approaching 7500 mi and I've just started noticing the same rattle/clunking sound coming from the driver's side front area at low speeds.
Hi SD Focus1 & OreFocus,

Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

I am bringing mine in for the noise again. I will have them check the motor mount. Thx for the info
Had mine in to the dealer today for this problem...
I just had mine fixed today at the dealer...Mine seems to be good now I just picked it up today.
Hello gtncpa & jpaul

A visit to the local Ford dealer is a first great step. [:)]

In the event further assistance is needed, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

Have a good evening all!

Noemi

·
Registered
59 Posts
work with your service department they will fix it when they can hear it. I left mine overnight. They did not have the upgrade for the mft thought that was a bit weird that the ford dealer did not have the update? They sent mine with no usb in the box! They changed both front struts and both front springs. Seems to be ok now. The service manager found the information to fix it in the computer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Update:

A couple months ago the dealership replaced the strut bushings/bearings whatever. That certainly didn't do a damned thing. If this something to do with the lower control arm, I'd love to see it resolved. I stopped taking it in. The last time I had the oil changed and I've never seen a crappier job of it.

I do notice that it is more pronounced in warm weather. I suppose I'll bring it in again, but this is just an annoyance. The problem with that is that if it were only my car (no wife) I'd have traded it in ages ago.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Update:

A couple months ago the dealership replaced the strut bushings/bearings whatever. That certainly didn't do a damned thing. If this something to do with the lower control arm, I'd love to see it resolved. I stopped taking it in. The last time I had the oil changed and I've never seen a crappier job of it.

I do notice that it is more pronounced in warm weather. I suppose I'll bring it in again, but this is just an annoyance. The problem with that is that if it were only my car (no wife) I'd have traded it in ages ago.
Mine is also in warm weather. When its under 40 you cant here it as soon as it warms up you start to here it[dunno]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in Canada and bought a 2012 Ti. Same thing. 1200km on the car. Mine sounds like its coming from the front left side but it may be my ears playing tricks on me. It wasn't making the noise for the first 800km or so but is happening consistently now at low speeds. Guess I'm going back to the dealer as well. Too bad it seems like the fix could be one of several things. Ugh.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just noticed this on my Titanium last night. Not enough of an annoyance to make an appointment yet, especially since it doesn't seem like there is a consensus on a fix.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Just noticed this on my Titanium last night. Not enough of an annoyance to make an appointment yet, especially since it doesn't seem like there is a consensus on a fix.
That's just it....we've heard so much, but not yet a true fix. Because yes, I have a small clunk/rattle coming from the front of my car too. Not going to waste time when there isn't a dealer fix for this KNOWN issue we are all having.... :-/

Posted via iPhone 4S

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's just it....we've heard so much, but not yet a true fix. Because yes, I have a small clunk/rattle coming from the front of my car too. Not going to waste time when there isn't a dealer fix for this KNOWN issue we are all having.... :-/

But, there will be no dealer fix, unless everybody reports their problem. There must be a documentation trail, and eventually, somebodies dealer will figure it out, and then voila! My focus will be going to the dealer one day next week. I finally squeezed some extra time out of my schedule to get in, so I will...I should have a report on the findings around next thursday(fingers crossed)

Rich

·
Registered
613 Posts
Taking mine in next Monday to have this same thing checked out along with about 11 other issues. There are times my suspension sounds like it's going to fall apart. Of course that goes perfectly with my trans and the parts that have actually fallen off or have come loose.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I took my Focus Titanium in to the shop on March 30th 2012 for a front end noise over bumps at slow speeds under 20mph (this was the second time it had been in for the same noise) and I just got a call today saying that it is completed.

I will translate this to everyone: by completed they mean they give up. The service manager said that they have replaced every part in the front end (struts, springs, etc.) and they cannot at this time get the sound to go away. Ford engineers have advised them to verify that this noise is consistent with other Focus models with similar mileage and they affirmed.

Basically this means that I'm going to have to deal with this sound? That's just bogus and I have to admit, awful of Ford Motor Company. I have been in a rental for 20 days and they're saying that when my car leaves the shop it will still have the same issues as when I initially took it in? I hate this car more and more everyday and I don't know about everyone else that is having this issue but I sure as heck can't "live with it."

After dealing with the CSM for FMC, I have to say that I am shocked and appalled at how the "new Ford" handles their business and treats their customers. I feel completely used and violated as a customer and I will be taking all future business to another manufacturer.

101 - 120 of 2870 Posts