Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 2870 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I too have had the clunk for like 10 months now. I'm just waiting for a permanent fix since I can't afford to lose my car for over a day for something that I know won't work.

I was under the car today building my custom exhaust and I didn't have good light but it looked like the front sway bar bushing was messed up. Any one know if that is a possibility for the clunk?

Sent from my PC36100 using FF Mobile 2
Anything is possible since they can't seem to "pin point" this issue. Seems too advanced for the boffins at Ford.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In 2 hours I'm dropping my car off at the ford dealership just down the road to have them replace the passenger side strut and bearings.

I took it in 2 weeks ago to make the third attempt to reproduce the issue and the tech finally put some chassis ears on the car. Even when we were on a road that was nice and smooth we could hear it plain as day through his device. I also spoke with the tech and he said that this issue could be just poor design but he wasn't too familiar with this problem yet but he already had another Focus waiting for him to do the same work on.

I'm so glad that this is under warranty but I hope this works. If this can't be fixed properly either through Ford or aftermarket parts then I may consider jumping ship before the warranty ends as I don't want to pay to replace these bearings every couple months. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they are pretty cheap to buy as aftermarket items however I just don't have the space or place to work on a car.

I'm all for breaking out the tools and getting my [wrenchin] on if I was allowed to work on my car in the parking lot lol :)

Oh I also asked the tech if he could tear apart the driver said as well and check but he said he couldn't do that as the TSB said only to replace the parts that were defective. He did say that if I wanted him to do it I would have to pay out of pocket for it but I'm sure if he found evidence of it going bad or that the bearing was broken as well then the warranty would cover it.

I only see this as a gamble as if there is nothing wrong then I'm out of money but if there is then I'm not. I have no idea on how much they would charge me for that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After lurking in this thread and others, I'm finally posting.

We're so wary to bring our car in again for the 'oh all these cars make that noise' that I'm tempted just to bypass the dealer and order the FRPP suspension upgrade and two fresh bearings and throw those on the car. Our local dealership is horrid with customer service. (Perry Ford in San Luis Obispo)

But she's clunking worse than my old mini truck w/ the torsion bars turned down. :(

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thomas...The parts are in and I am going to take the car in on Thursday.
Car is back in my possession but I'm at work til eleven... We'll see if it worked or not. I didn't get a copy of the paperwork cause my advisor said he was keeping the ticket open for a couple days in case something isn't to my liking...
Got my car back Saturday ... no noise ... yet ... fingers crossed. [driving]
In 2 hours I'm dropping my car off at the ford dealership just down the road to have them replace the passenger side strut and bearings.

I took it in 2 weeks ago to make the third attempt to reproduce the issue and the tech finally put some chassis ears on the car. Even when we were on a road that was nice and smooth we could hear it plain as day through his device. I also spoke with the tech and he said that this issue could be just poor design but he wasn't too familiar with this problem yet but he already had another Focus waiting for him to do the same work on...
Excellent news; please let me know how it turns out for all of you! I hope there will be no clunk in your future travels. [driving]

I stopped back by my dealer today and talked to the service manager. I wanted to inform him the TSB only fixed the issue for about two weeks. He seemed surprised to hear it, but when he realized I wasn't trying to get him to fix it 'again'...(i told him I'd be patient for a bit and see if Ford addresses this once and for all) he told me to call the Ford 800# and tell them about my experience.

I called and they took the information and even called my dealer to verify the TSB had been done...
Exactly. When I told my CSM that I could hear the noise back, he asked if I wanted to "Bring it in to have the springs changed out again", I said No. I'll just wait, again, to see if anything further progresses on Ford's side...
If you haven't sent your VIN to me by PM, please do so at your earliest convenience. I'll document all relevant information concerning this suspension noise for further review. [thumb]

I too have had the clunk for like 10 months now. I'm just waiting for a permanent fix since I can't afford to lose my car for over a day for something that I know won't work...
...We're so wary to bring our car in again for the 'oh all these cars make that noise' that I'm tempted just to bypass the dealer and order the FRPP suspension upgrade and two fresh bearings and throw those on the car. Our local dealership is horrid with customer service. (Perry Ford in San Luis Obispo)

But she's clunking worse than my old mini truck w/ the torsion bars turned down. :(
Are your Customer Service Managers involved with this? If not, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll forward these details to them immediately.

Thomas

·
Registered
647 Posts
My car was in for the fix about two weeks ago now. So far, the clunking hasn't returned, though I only ever noticed it when turning at very slow speeds - like wheel full over, in a parking lot or turning into my driveway. So, at least so far, good news from me...

Dec '11 build, Ti, no handling package, standard 17" ContiPro tires.

Now if I could just get Ford to fix all the other, much more annoying, squeaks and rattles!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have this very annoying rattle up front now as well. It's VERY noticeable while braking (slowing to a stop) on rough pavement.

The only thing that worries me, is my car isn't covered under the TSB - it's a newer build date than the TSB specifies. I feel like I'm going to have difficulty with the dealer & covering it or even looking at it seriously. Once it goes in for its first oil change in about 1k more (bringing me to ~4400 mi) I'm going to mention it. Any tips on bringing it up?

·
Registered
145 Posts
My car was in for the fix about two weeks ago now. So far, the clunking hasn't returned, though I only ever noticed it when turning at very slow speeds - like wheel full over, in a parking lot or turning into my driveway. So, at least so far, good news from me...

Dec '11 build, Ti, no handling package, standard 17" ContiPro tires.

Now if I could just get Ford to fix all the other, much more annoying, squeaks and rattles!
Glad to hear it hasn't returned. I took mine on a 1000 mile trip the next day after having mine done...and on some pretty rough city roads too. My theory is I just accelerated the return of the clunk. It might have lasted longer if I didn't go.

You have other rattle issues? I haven't noticed any others yet. Those type of things usually drive me nuts too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Glad to hear it hasn't returned. I took mine on a 1000 mile trip the next day after having mine done...and on some pretty rough city roads too. My theory is I just accelerated the return of the clunk. It might have lasted longer if I didn't go.

You have other rattle issues? I haven't noticed any others yet. Those type of things usually drive me nuts too.
Yea, I've driven 500 or so miles since the fix - we drove up to MI about two dats after the fix. So far, so good... but mine wasn't terrible in the first place. I just noticed some clunking pulling into my driveway one day and then saw the TSB stuff and figured I might as well have them fix it.

The other rattles - yeah, like the creaking headliner/console, something near the A-pillars that's become more noticeable with miles, and one in the right passenger door that's outside (it varies with speed) that's existed since I bought the car. Over 10K miles now and still no fix even though Ford acknowledges that it exists! [rant]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Returned the Ford to the dealer again to fix the noise. Tech says he hears nothing and I need to take off work to ride with him and point it out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It was posted in here and in another thread I believe, but if you have a RATTLE when going over bumps/potholes at lower speeds, IT IS NOT THE SUSPENSION.

It is the coolant reservoir rattling!

I had this annoying rattle for as long as I could remember AND WAS 110% POSITIVE IT WAS THE SUSPENSION...welp this weekend I finally saw a thread about sticking a sponge underneath the coolant reservoir and an AC line. Instead of a sponge I bought 1/2 inch thick pipe insulation. If I could have found an inch thick pipe insulation it would have been perfect, but instead I tucked extra material under the 1/2 inch pipe insulation so it fit snugly between the AC line and the bottom of the reservoir.

THE RATTLING HAS STOPPED COMPLETELY.[woot]

·
Registered
247 Posts
It was posted in here and in another thread I believe, but if you have a RATTLE when going over bumps/potholes at lower speeds, IT IS NOT THE SUSPENSION.

I had this annoying rattle for as long as I could remember AND WAS 110% POSITIVE IT WAS THE SUSPENSION...welp this weekend I finally saw a thread about sticking a sponge underneath the coolant reservoir and an AC line. Instead of a sponge I bought 1/2 inch thick pipe insulation. If I could have found an inch thick pipe insulation it would have been perfect, but instead I tucked extra material under the 1/2 inch pipe insulation so it fit snugly between the AC line and the bottom of the reservoir.

Thanks for the heads up, mine is more of a clunk / popping sound when coming to a stop, or slowing down. Sounds like struts or something but I suppose it could be something else. Still can't find the TSB link.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had the TSB done today. Drove the car home 40 miles and drove over areas where I would frequently hear the noise. As of now it is clunk free. I told my dealer about the previous stories and they stated that if it happened again they would go higher up the chain with it....not sure what that means. I waited over a month for these parts so lets hope somehow they are improved.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I got my car back the same day as my previous post after 3 hours. Seems after I took it on a 25 mile trip. I was a little concerned about the passenger side spring being different (has more loops than the driver side as the tech told me). On my way back towards my apartment I took a long and twisty road and immediately noticed how the passenger front suspension felt a lot stiffer.

Now I just went on a food run and once I got back and stopped the car I noticed a light thud/pop sound when I had a little pressure on the wheel going to the right as I turned the car off. I then rocked it back and forth a little to the right and kept hearing the noise. I then turned the car back on and repeated turning the wheel only an inch to the right and then back to center and I could still hear it.

I'm going to call the service department back when they open at 8 a.m. and talk to them. Hopefully this is just something that is coming loose as the tech did a full alignment before they gave me the car back.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts

Can you take a picture and post what you're talking about. I'm curious to see if that's what I'm hearing.

Also, I just got a call from the dealership and they're saying that the sound is consistent with a new model they have on the lot. That's total BS and I'm really frustrated, this car has caused me nothing but stress and anxiety.

They also told me that the parts had all already been replaced at a different dealership back in February. Could that be possible or is he BSing me? I thought the new TSB had updated parts.

·
Registered
493 Posts

See that AC line coming up from the bottom center of the photo? I added that black insulation on it (still has the sticker on the left side of the insulation). I covered the AC line and made sure it was thick enough to touch the bottom of the coolant reservoir to keep the reservoir from moving. I have done more driving and only hear the rattle when I hit a severe bump/pothole. It is 85-90% quieter now since I have added that insulation.

I circled it:

Some people have folded a sponge and stuffed it between that AC line and the bottom of the reservoir. I suggest doing this first as a test to see if it stops your rattling.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had this done a couple months ago to my 2012 SEL (Dec '11 build)... They didn't to the entire front end, only the driver side (where I said it was coming from). That part seems fine still (knock on wood).

NOW it is the front PASSENGER side! ...had them look at it when I got an oil change (at least this dealership gives 3 years of oil changes for free! [8D]) and they gave the generic "Couldn't hear it." response. The roads around my dealership are pretty good/not bumpy ... so I wonder how hard they really tried. Next time I bring it in (or if it continues/gets worse) I wonder if I'll have to throw a fit to get it fixed ...

I haven't mulled through the 99+ pages on this thread, but have people had any issues with the noise coming back after a fix?

1161 - 1180 of 2870 Posts